Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers - One of the biggest injury impacts of 2007

Hiro

Yahoo! Sports - Agonizing ailments

8. Carlos Rogers, Washington Redskins: When Washington went to Gillette Stadium on Oct. 28 and got steamrolled by the Patriots, the 52-7 final score wasn't the team's greatest indignity. The season-ending knee injury suffered by Rogers, a talented third-year cornerback, dealt a brutal blow to the team's defensive approach. Before Rogers went down with a torn ACL, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams had so much faith in his secondary (including starting cornerback Fred Smoot, nickel back Shawn Springs and safeties Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry) that he comfortably called the type of aggressive game plans he prefers. Now, however, the 'Skins are more vulnerable to getting burned on blitzes, and Williams has backed off. Taylor's recent sprained knee, which kept him out of the team's past two games, hasn't helped, either. With Washington fighting for a playoff spot, the loss of Rogers has made this team's margin for error that much thinner.

This was one of the worst parts of that loss to NE for me. Carlos was really starting to come into his own as a young DB in this league, and starting to live up to his billing as the 9th overall pick in 2005. And we're not the only ones to have noticed how much his absence has affected our defensive gameplan.

Yep, tore them both, I thought I heard something say he wouldn't even be able to start practicing again until August...

So I guess we will see him in camp in 2009? anyone know about this kind of injury for a CB? How long does it take to come back from it and would he ever be the same? Springs has maybe another year in him if that, Smooty is smoot we know what we get from him so maybe a number 3 CB. Draft day is going to be interesting.

Yeah that was by far the worst part of that game. Not being able to have a strong rotation of 3 corners has definitely hurt Gregg's gameplanning, and say what you want about Springs but he was being targeted the most by QB's while Rogers was still playing according to that postgameheroes blog and their game recaps. I sincerely hope Rogers can come back but that injury will take a long time and he's not getting any younger.

pass yards against us with carlos

219, 1 td vs mia

240, 0 td vs phi

232, 1 td vs nyg

106, 0 td vs det

188, 0 td vs gb

282, 3 td vs ari

6 games, 1267 yards, 211 yards per game, 5 TDs through the air.

pass yards without carlos

334, 3 TDs vs nwe

226, 1 TD vs nyj

251, 4 TD vs phi

293, 4 TD vs dal

4 games, 1104 yards, 276 yards per game, 12 TDs.

ouch

now taylor was out for the cowboys games, but still, he was in for new england and most of the eagles game.

carlos is a big part of our D, his absence is huge.

251, 4 TD vs phi

293, 4 TD vs dal

now taylor was out for the cowboys games, but still, he was in for new england and most of the eagles game.

carlos is a big part of our D, his absence is huge.

Ehh, I'm as big a fan of Carlos as anyone around here, but those numbers from the Philly and Dallas game are almost certainly due to the lack of Taylor. That Reggie Brown turn around TD catch over the middle wouldn't even have been open had Taylor been in the game playing center field, and that Westbrook screen would've likely been more contained down the middle had Taylor been there.

And T.O. would've had at most, 2 of his touchdowns, not 4, considering one of them came off a play Garrett designed that week to exploit Taylor not playing and another one came off blown coverage by Springs that Prioleau failed to help with by getting there a step too late followed by an awful ankle tackle attempt to allow T.O. to walk into the endzone. Springs played against T.O. much of that game and was actually doing well while in man, but when we switched to zone there just wasn't the help over the top that was required against a reciever of T.O.'s ability.

Ehh, I'm as big a fan of Carlos as anyone around here, but those numbers from the Philly and Dallas game are almost certainly due to the lack of Taylor. That Reggie Brown turn around TD catch over the middle wouldn't even have been open had Taylor been in the game playing center field, and that Westbrook screen would've likely been more contained down the middle had Taylor been there.

And T.O. would've had at most, 2 of his touchdowns, not 4, considering one of them came off a play Garrett designed that week to exploit Taylor not playing and another one came off blown coverage by Springs that Prioleau failed to help with by getting there a step too late followed by an awful ankle tackle attempt to allow T.O. to walk into the endzone. Springs played against T.O. much of that game and was actually doing well while in man, but when we switched to zone there just wasn't the help over the top that was required against a reciever of T.O.'s ability.

so having carlos potentially manned up on TO wouldnt have helped? rogers missing time is just as important as taylor missing time. our pass defense was close to dominant until carlos went out. sean just takes away the deep pass. teams were able to move the ball when sean was in there, it just took them longer because they had to dink and dunk. even the jets moved the ball against the skins with a rookie QB with taylor in the game.

219, 1 td vs mia

240, 0 td vs phi

232, 1 td vs nyg

106, 0 td vs det

188, 0 td vs gb

282, 3 td vs ari

6 games, 1267 yards, 211 yards per game, 5 TDs through the air.

pass yards without carlos

334, 3 TDs vs nwe

226, 1 TD vs nyj

251, 4 TD vs phi

293, 4 TD vs dal

:doh: Holy Crap ....

I didn't realize it was THAT bad. I don't think alot of the posters on this board realize how talented Carlos is. Hands doesn't have anything to do with how good a DB is. If they had great hands, they'd be a WR. The guy is talented, and went through a sophomore slump last year because our entire defense looked horrid. In fact our only defensive probowler, Sean Taylor, that year looked bad in comparison to his 05 and 04 campaigns.

im gonna love if this thread gets tons of responses with "yeah man, if only carlos was playing we'd be so much better off". people thought the guy should have been a nickel cornerback AT BEST. so ridiculous.

Well now that I have your attention, I'm going to hijack this thread because I'm starting to see the need for a DE and I'm curious about this, who do we select in the draft with a middle of the pack 1st round pick?

Well now that I have your attention, I'm going to hijack this thread because I'm starting to see the need for a DE and I'm curious about this, who do we select in the draft with a middle of the pack 1st round pick?

lets just talk about pantera instead haha.

we need a DE, so whoever the best DE available is we take. if that chris long guy somehow falls that far, we snag him. but i think weve all seen a need for DE for about 10 years, so we all know we wont take a Dlineman in the first round. our first round pick will probably go the deangelo hall foundation.

lets just talk about pantera instead haha.

we need a DE, so whoever the best DE available is we take. if that chris long guy somehow falls that far, we snag him. but i think weve all seen a need for DE for about 10 years, so we all know we wont take a Dlineman in the first round. our first round pick will probably go the deangelo hall foundation.

I just looked at threads in 03 and 04 and people were yelling about drafting a DE first in the draft. I don't think this need will be addressed via draft. I think they'll look at a FA acquisition. Much like the Andre Carter/ London Fletcher deal; under the radar yet significantly improving the team.

so having carlos potentially manned up on TO wouldnt have helped? rogers missing time is just as important as taylor missing time. our pass defense was close to dominant until carlos went out. sean just takes away the deep pass. teams were able to move the ball when sean was in there, it just took them longer because they had to dink and dunk. even the jets moved the ball against the skins with a rookie QB with taylor in the game.
I hear what you're saying and I'm constantly in agreement with your battles against people on here who love to bash Carlos because they think saying "No D" in his name is a funny put down or whatever, but I really don't think our corner play was the issue in the Dallas game.

Whether it was blown coverage in zone over the top, or Doughty getting beat and pass interfering for a big gain, our issues in that game came from our safety play. Springs did well enough against T.O. when matched up in man, I don't think you can fault him there, but it was when we went zone that Doughty/Prioleau got burned filling in for Taylor. I mean our corners did well enough on the other recievers- Crayton and Hurd barely did anything, and only Witten was able to get some good yardage over the middle, but that was usually the responsibility of Fletcher/Washington (who seemed to be playing a bit hurt still). Carlos would've been a boost to our secondary sure, but his side of the field wasn't where we experienced our biggest gaffes in coverage, so I think blame has to go towards our safeties.

The writer obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. GW called some 5-man rushes early in the season until Marcus got hurt. He didn't call any blitzes until the Jets game. Yes, the Jets game that Rogers didn't play in. The only reason GW called blitzes in that game was because of a young Jets' QB. The fact is that GW's defense is conservative with or without Rogers.

BTW, Rogers still hasn't lived up to his potential as a #9 pick. He still stinks and ST and LL are covering for his ineptitude. No way can he cover man-to-man. If we could get a second or third rounder for him in the offseason, I say do it.

If we somehow end up getting DeAngelo Hall, I might just end up skipping next season entirely in outrage

BTW, Rogers still hasn't lived up to his potential as a #9 pick. He still stinks and ST and LL are covering for his ineptitude. No way can he cover man-to-man. If we could get a second or third rounder for him in the offseason, I say do it.
Something tells me you didn't watch the Eagles or Lions game...maybe it's the bolded part...

Archived