Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When you meet people

JosephGibbs

When meeting someone for the first time, or even catching up with a relative or friend, it seems that it is a given either to ask or be asked what you do for a living or how your job is going. I am trying to get away from this personally because there are 8 other hours of the day ,give or take, that help define someone. I want to know someone for more than what they do and viceversa; am I making sense? Some people enjoy their jobs, some do not. Lately, I have had more time to read for leisure, so I have been asking people if they have read any good books lately just for a change of pace and seeing where that goes. I guess if you have some common interests with someone, like the REDSKINS (oh yeah) that can help the conversation. Here's my question: other than job/work, what else can or do you bring up in conversation when catching up with someone or meeting someone for the first time?

HTTR

ok, but if this gets me in trouble, I'm blaming you.

Might not be a bad suggestion though, if you had some previous interaction with the person. It may be a bit intrusive for a first meeting, maybe not, what do you all think.

It is a bad suggestion because yes it is intrusive!! I don't talk politics or religion with anyone except my closest friends.

I always thought that was more a regional phenomenon. In the DC area, yeah, it's full of superficial mf'ers and 99% of the time one of the first questions you will hear is "what do you do for a living". You're judged right off the bat on what you do and how much you're perceived to make. That's not nearly the case down south, though, or in many other places of the country. That's a largely NE situation, as far as I know. Personally, I hate that and try to learn other things about people first, such as what interests them and if she's single/does she like it in the b.......nevermind.

:paranoid:

I don't talk politics or religion with anyone except my closest friends.
It's funny you say that. Those are the exact people I avoid talking religion or politics with :laugh:

Why drive them away? People don't like to hear how wrong they are. :silly:

It funny, I never ask that question. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm really usually just not that interested - hell I don't know what some of my best friends do and I never ask them how work is going.

I've hung out with DC53 a few times and have no idea what he does - though I assume it has something to do with cars.

I always thought that was more a regional phenomenon. In the DC area, yeah, it's full of superficial mf'ers and 99% of the time one of the first questions you will hear is "what do you do for a living". You're judged right off the bat on what you do and how much you're perceived to make. That's not nearly the case down south, though, or in many other places of the country. That's a largely NE situation, as far as I know. Personally, I hate that and try to learn other things about people first, such as what interests them and if she's single/does she like it in the b.......nevermind.

In Baltimore people always ask where you go to school -- and they don't mean college, they mean high school. It's odd. They actually did a whole feature on it in Baltimore Magazine and how the "Baltimore Power Schools" define people.

It funny, I never ask that question. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm really usually just not that interested - hell I don't know what some of my best friends do and I never ask them how work is going.

I've hung out with DC53 a few times and have no idea what he does - though I assume it has something to do with cars.

I'm the same way. My job is so uninteresting I don't ever want to talk about it, and I assume everyone else is the same way.

In Baltimore people always ask where you go to school -- and they don't mean college, they mean high school. It's odd. They actually did a whole feature on it in Baltimore Magazine and how the "Baltimore Power Schools" define people.

Baltimore--"The City that Reads---and will give you STDs."

Nah, it's not odd, it's just Baltimore. If you even went to High School, let alone remember which one you went to, you're doing damn good. :D

:laugh:

Not since 2002. I have no idea what you do either. :cheers:

You can usually start by saying something something about how they look today (if you now them).

If you don't, you can still start with a compliment about something they are wearing (again sport stuff if they're wearing them). There was a guy in Adams Morgan who used to beg, but you'd be a min or two into a conversation before you knew it because he always started the conversation off with a compliment: "love those shoes. where did you get them..." We used to call him compliment man (best begger I've seen as I always wanted to give him a buck).

I'm one of those talk to people in long lines at stores guys. I've usually found that people react well to just about anything that shows you're paying attention to them. "Wow, are you making anything interesting with that stuff? It looks like the ingediants for a dish my mom makes..." or go back to the tried and true "Wow this weather is ... Don't you love/hate it?" Seriously, pick questions that show an interest in them or mundane things. Honestly, the interest in them usually works best even if it's just an interet in the shallow side of them. You'll get the rest once the conversation starts.

You can usually start by saying something something about how they look today (if you now them).

If you don't, you can still start with a compliment about something they are wearing (again sport stuff if they're wearing them). There was a guy in Adams Morgan who used to beg, but you'd be a min or two into a conversation before you knew it because he always started the conversation off with a compliment: "love those shoes. where did you get them..." We used to call him compliment man (best begger I've seen as I always wanted to give him a buck).

I'm one of those talk to people in long lines at stores guys. I've usually found that people react well to just about anything that shows you're paying attention to them. "Wow, are you making anything interesting with that stuff? It looks like the ingediants for a dish my mom makes..." or go back to the tried and true "Wow this weather is ... Don't you love/hate it?" Seriously, pick questions that show an interest in them or mundane things. Honestly, the interest in them usually works best even if it's just an interet in the shallow side of them. You'll get the rest once the conversation starts.

This is dead-on. People naturally love to talk about themselves. Want to strike up a convo with that hottie? This is the way.

Interesting, I did not know that. I was only up to the NE area once (Boston) and the people were so rude and self absorbed. It was their world, you were just a part of it. Not that I'm stereotyping the entire are of NE :)

Seems pretty sound...weather can be very interesting...that is my save all though, I don't like to pull that out to early

Archived