Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Coach Joe" dictionary!

dwills1

Our beloved Coach Joe and his terms.....we love you Joe, but it may be time to go

“Up here”:

Coach’s term for the National Football League, which he apparently thinks is played at altitude.

“Hard fought”:

It was a boring game littered with three and outs and field goals where the Redskins ultimately backed into a victory via some “Redskins football.”

“Redskins Football”:

An approach to game management so conservative it makes Barry Goldwater’s corpse blush. You know you are watching classic “Redskins Football” when you see the following:

A draw play on 3rd and 9 at midfield during the second half of a tie game.

A FG attempt from the 40 on first down during overtime.

A play action pass that is focused on a receiver only one yard past the line of scrimmage.

Eight games of regular season football without a TD pass to a WR.

A “true Redskin”:

Aging journeyman skill position player who wouldn’t make the roster of most “good” teams and lacks any discernible above average skills. And he loves Jesus. See “James Thrash”

“fought our guts out”:

Code for “needed overtime to barely defeat a significantly below .500 team.”

“Super smart”:

Term used to detract negative attention from a “true Redskin” who has shown a complete inability to compete “up here” due to physical shortcomings and general ineptitude. See “Mark. Brunell”

"Core guys":

Players Snyder locked into long term deals that no other team would have approached in value and that preclude the team from ever cutting the player in question.

"We're all in this together... ":

Only to be used after a loss. Sure, we lost by 45, but it wasn't because one or two of us sucked. We ALL suck. And you know what? That's special. And don't worry...we'll suck like that again someday soon...but gosh darn it we'll do it AS A TEAM.

“we kept swinging out there”:

Punts on top of punts. The defense spent more time on the field backpedaling than the refs did.

“Teams”:

This is the term Coach “Joe” uses to describe special teams. The irony in his leaving off the “Special” is that in his second tenure the coverage and return teams have been the only consistently above average unit on this ****wagon.

“greatest fans in the league”:

The really bitter people sitting with obstructed views behind huge cement pillars or sitting next to 5 empty seats in the club level drinking a $8 Bud Light and munching on $15 chicken fingers while their team loses to the Falcons.

“They’re playing the best football in the league right now”:

This week’s opponent.

"We competed":

We were dominated in every facet of the game from kick off to final gun.

Also see:

We fought our guts out = We lost

We never gave up = We lost badly

We are not executing = it's the players, not the playcalling.

super-tough = see super-smart but this applies to non skill players.

Do we really need you cutting our team off at the knees (or head) the week of the Cowboys game?

Are you really a fan if 2 days before the game you are calling for the Head Coaches head. For a team that has been decimated by injuries, started a rookie and still ranked like #13 in the league.

How about we focus on the pukes? Can you table your sensationalized criticism til after this biggest game of our season?

Too much to ask of a fan?

laxpck, yes I'm a fan, but I'm also a realist....I guess you aren't. I thought it was pretty funny....and most of it is true.

A realist sees success in the NFL in terms of Decades. Not in terms of weeks. The Success RIGHT NOW people who are calling for Gibbs to be fired are probably the most unrealistic of all fans here.

A “true Redskin”:

Aging journeyman skill position player who wouldn’t make the roster of most “good” teams and lacks any discernible above average skills. And he loves Jesus. See “James Thrash”

Of all the players that could have been used as an example for this point, the LAST one that should be used is James Thrash. Thrash has deminstrated time and time again that he IS a true Redskin, and this is MUCH better off having him on it.

This was posted a couple week ago. Perhaps you should include the link to the website?

Here's the link.

http://wheelhouse.blogspot.com/2007/11/gibbs-to-english-dictionary.html

You could do this with any coach in the NFL. They all use "coach speak", they are salesmen trying to get the players, the media, the team's ownership, the assistant coaches, and the fans to all drink their kool-aid.

James Thrash came up pretty big for us this last week. Looks like the date on the original blog was Nov. 8, that's why they took a shot at him.

:dallasuck

laxpck...success in terms of decades? who cares what Joe Gibbs did back in the day...that does nothing for this team right now. He's been mediocre since his return and he's had 4 seasons to get it right. So far, not so great........let's KEEP IT REAL. If you want to live in the past get some popcorn and watch old tapes....I'll keep it real and watch the game sunday at 4

laxpck...success in terms of decades? who cares what Joe Gibbs did back in the day...that does nothing for this team right now. He's been mediocre since his return and he's had 4 seasons to get it right. So far, not so great........let's KEEP IT REAL. If you want to live in the past get some popcorn and watch old tapes....I'll keep it real and watch the game sunday at 4

Right...and it's been proven without a doubt that the record the last 4 years is Gibbs' fault.

Or is it just more of the same under this owner? Gibbs was the best coach in the league for over a decade. Schottenheimer was one of the top coaches in the league both before he came here and after he left. Did they both just forget how to do it while they were here?

Very funny. It is sad what a joke Redskins football has become since the heydays of the 80's and early 90's.

And especially over the last decade. Outspend the entire league, yet watch them all make the playoffs over you. But hey, the offseason is our time to shine!

Very funny. It is sad what a joke Redskins football has become since the heydays of the 80's and early 90's.
People are Clowning Us. Its sad, very sad.

We have turn into a laughing stock.

I trying to hold it down for my team, but I dont How much longer I can take this Bull**** before I snap and go up to redskins park and start cussing some Mutha****az out.

I'm not even playing.

A realist sees success in the NFL in terms of Decades. Not in terms of weeks. The Success RIGHT NOW people who are calling for Gibbs to be fired are probably the most unrealistic of all fans here.

So you think Gibbs is building something long lasting here? This is year 4 of Gibbs and I'm waiting to see what the difference between this team and Norv's Skins would be. Right now they look about the same. Gibbs won't be here for a decade an this team isn't going to be in very good shape when he steps down... much like he left it in 1993.

People are Clowning Us. Its sad, very sad.

We have turn into a laughing stock.

I trying to hold it down for my team, but I dont How much longer I can take this Bull**** before I snap and go up to redskins park and start cussing some Mutha****az out.

I'm not even playing.

I was thinking the same thing just now reading all these "joke threads". :doh: I'm not firing at the OP by any means. This team deserves all the jokes and laughs at them that they have recieved. It still doesn't make me feel any better though.

So you think Gibbs is building something long lasting here? This is year 4 of Gibbs and I'm waiting to see what the difference between this team and Norv's Skins would be. Right now they look about the same. Gibbs won't be here for a decade an this team isn't going to be in very good shape when he steps down... much like he left it in 1993.

Actually I do. JC will define the next decade for us. Lot of pressure on the kid. But he will handle it.

The youth at our skill positions means we are set for a while. New blocks will be added. Its how Franchises come back to elite status.

Archived