Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Randle El & The Fair Catch

HateYanksDukeCowboys

Well I conducted an advanced search on thread titles only before starting this thread, as I'm ever sensitive to redundancy in thread subjects. Having found no matches on this subject, I felt it was time to discuss it.

Does anyone else think that we're just kind of settling for the status quo on our punt returns? To the naked eye, A.R.E. clearly isn't what he was in Pittsburgh in regards to his punt returns. While I'm appreciative of his efforts and improvement in the passing game, I think its time we put someone back there who isn't calling a fair catch when he gets out of bed in the morning. Even when he actually decides to return one, the burst and elusiveness just isn't there.

I've also noticed several times where he's been on or inside the 10 yard line and still called the fair catch. I thought the cardinal rule was to let it bounce inside the 10. Maybe I'm mistaken. I'm still a big fan of A.R.E., and not trying to bash him here, just looking for ways/suggestions as to how this team can improve in every single area.

How about a guy like Leigh Torrence who has good speed back there? Maybe Rock? Brandon Lloyd? Mark Brunell? Just kidding on that last one.........its only a matter of time before the Theismann references start coming out.

i also agree that randal el is not the answer at punt returner. that should goto someone like torrence..someone who can set themselves apart...see rock cartwright. With EL as our number 2, that job should goto someone else.

the front office, of course, needs to justify the contract, so he will always be back there.

anywho...i feel it just opens him up to being injured...oh wait, he is.

Well I conducted an advanced search on thread titles only before starting this thread, as I'm ever sensitive to redundancy in thread subjects. Having found no matches on this subject, I felt it was time to discuss it.

Does anyone else think that we're just kind of settling for the status quo on our punt returns? To the naked eye, A.R.E. clearly isn't what he was in Pittsburgh in regards to his punt returns. While I'm appreciative of his efforts and improvement in the passing game, I think its time we put someone back there who isn't calling a fair catch when he gets out of bed in the morning. Even when he actually decides to return one, the burst and elusiveness just isn't there.

I've also noticed several times where he's been on or inside the 10 yard line and still called the fair catch. I thought the cardinal rule was to let it bounce inside the 10. Maybe I'm mistaken. I'm still a big fan of A.R.E., and not trying to bash him here, just looking for ways/suggestions as to how this team can improve in every single area.

How about a guy like Leigh Torrence who has good speed back there? Maybe Rock? Brandon Lloyd? Mark Brunell? Just kidding on that last one.........its only a matter of time before the Theismann references start coming out.

How do you do advanced searches? Just kidding. I don't think you can ever compare his returns in DC and Pittsburgh. I am sure just like defense and offense, special teams has different philosophies. I agree with you about the 10 yard line rule, atleast I thought that was a general rule. I do believe we have the right person back and am grateful although he's muffed a few he hasn't turned over the ball (a lot of teams have had issues in that department). Hopefully he can get things going without getting injured.

I am sure that the coaches have had players try out for the position and know who is best suited.

Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed that the blocking for PR's is no where near as good as the blocking that takes place on our KR squad.

However, I do agree with the OP on the fair catching thing inside the ten yard line. I've never understood that.

Randle El calls fair catches because the other teams players are within yards of him when hes about to catch the ball. Its not a sign of settling for the status quo. He returned one last year the first good return opportunity he got. Teams recognize that its really easy to give up 6 on a routine punt coverage and get to ARE before he can catch the ball.

He calls the faircatch a lot, true, but I'd rather him call it, then take the chance of fumbling.

He might not be what he was in Pittsburgh, but he sure isn't bad, a lot of you say Thrash, Thrash isn't nearly as fast as ARE, ARE is still a great punt returner.

Speed isn't everything. Its a matter of being elusive or not, and having the Kahones to return kicks. Thrash looked excellent this year when he returned, and he actually looked pretty fast for whatever that's worth.

Randle El calls fair catches because the other teams players are within yards of him when hes about to catch the ball. Its not a sign of settling for the status quo. He returned one last year the first good return opportunity he got. Teams recognize that its really easy to give up 6 on a routine punt coverage and get to ARE before he can catch the ball.

I've seen WAY too many fair catches he's made when the other team is stil ten yards away from him. Are you saying that's too close?

Also, some of the most productive punt returns I've seen are when the returner fields it with a guy coming in fast about two yards away. The returner shuffles to the side, makes the guy miss, and then scoots forward X amount of yards.

On a side note, Mike Nelms never called a fair catch in his entire career.

he has gotten a lot better than from the beginning of the year.

my biggest issue with him is upon catching the ball, he dances around and sizes up the blocking. this may work one out of 150 returns and he may get a TD out of it, but overall, all that does is allow defenders to shed their blocks and limit his holes. id take another 4 or 5 yards of burst over dancing around for a couple seconds anyday.

that said, I DO think he should be our punt return guy, and I DO think the fair catch thin (and within the 10 thing) have gotten a lot better as of late.

my biggest issue with him is upon catching the ball, he dances around and sizes up the blocking. this may work one out of 150 returns and he may get a TD out of it, but overall, all that does is allow defenders to shed their blocks and limit his holes. id take another 4 or 5 yards of burst over dancing around for a couple seconds anyday.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I think Thrash did a great job when he got to return kicks. ARE seems scared and always calls for the fair catch. I hate it. Put someone back there that is not scared to take a hit.

I was thinking the same thing, I'd put Thrash back there. If we had room for Espy on the roster next year, he'd be perfect for the job...check the college highlights. El, just seems to do too much juking and spinning.

Mike Espy

Check those returns out, and definitely the return that starts at 6:06.

Archived