Extremeskins

Former FBI, CIA Worker Illegal Immigrant

#98QBKiller

While we're on the subject of illegal immigration:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21779810/

Former FBI, CIA Worker Illegal Immigrant

WRC-TV

updated 9:33 a.m. ET, Wed., Nov. 14, 2007

VIENNA, Va. - A woman who worked for both the FBI and CIA admitted in court on Tuesday that she is an illegal immigrant.

Nadim Prouty said she stole classified terrorism information, but it is not clear what she did with it.

The 37-year-old woman is a Lebanese national. She pleaded guilty in a Detroit courtroom to conspiracy, unauthorized computer use and arranging a fake marriage to gain U.S. citizenship.

Prouty lived in a Vienna townhouse with her family, including a young daughter.

According to court documents, Prouty came to America 18 years ago on a student visa. She hired an unemployed U.S. citizen to marry her the following year.

After obtaining citizenship, she divorced the man. At first, Prouty worked at a Michigan restaurant, but then managed to pass an FBI background check and become an FBI special agent in Washington. Four years later, the CIA hired her as a case officer. Authorities said there is no evidence that Prouty is a spy. However, she admitted using FBI computers to get highly sensitive security information on the terrorist group Hezbollah, possibly leaking it. Ralph Dracetta said he couldn't believe his eyes when shown documents outlining the charges against his neighbor. "I know her reasonably well," he said. "She's a nice, friendly person. I like her a lot."

No, "Former FBI, CIA Worker was Illegal Immigrant".

"Former FBI, CIA Worker is Citizen".

(Doesn't mean she should have been given a clearance. But this isn't an "illegal immigrant" problem. It's a "spy gets clearance, steals classified information" problem.)

How the **** did that happen?

It took me almost a year to get my clearance, and that was with a previous secret clearance

I guess I should have changed my name to Mohammed Al-Sarge ed. It would have gone a lot quicker:rolleyes:

Heh, this guy didn't get his after a 15 month process

So the Muslim name doesn't help :laugh:

No, "Former FBI, CIA Worker was Illegal Immigrant".

"Former FBI, CIA Worker is Citizen".

Actually, as part of her plea deal she agreed to forfeit her citizenship, so now she's just a Lebanese citizen (and not really an "illegal immigrant" anymore since she has no intention of staying in the United States unless she is jailed, in which case she'll just be a foreign prisoner).

There are more details in the Washington Post article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/13/AR2007111302033.html?hpid=sec-nation

(Doesn't mean she should have been given a clearance. But this isn't an "illegal immigrant" problem. It's a "spy gets clearance, steals classified information" problem.)
I think that this is actually relatively innocuous from an immigration standpoint, because no matter what our policies are, we're not going to stop people who can pay off acquaintances to enter into sham marriages ... the system already has a lot of safeguards in place, and it takes at least 5 years from marriage to citizenship, so I don't think we can expect terrorists to start infiltrating the CIA using this method.

The Post article makes it sound a bit more innocuous:

In 2000, she accessed restricted FBI computer files on Hezbollah, according to court documents, apparently to see whether family members had been linked to the Lebanon-based group. Prouty also improperly took home unspecified classified documents, according to her plea agreement. Justice officials said there is no indication that the classified records were shared with others.

How the **** did that happen?

It took me almost a year to get my clearance, and that was with a previous secret clearance

I guess I should have changed my name to Mohammed Al-Sarge ed. It would have gone a lot quicker:rolleyes:

According to the article, she was married in 1990 (and probably became a citizen around 1995), she was hired at the FBI in 1999, and she joined the CIA in 2003. There were probably months if not years-long investigations that took place.

FBI spokesman Stephen Kodak said Prouty underwent a full background investigation before she was hired, including interviews with her current and former husband and with family and friends in Lebanon. Prouty also passed an FBI polygraph test with "no deception noted," Kodak said.

It sounds like they checked her out and didn't find any ties to terrorism or anything ... they just never found out about her sham marriage.

Archived