Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quit Fooling Yourselves

scottlo34

There were only two seasons of total dominance. Most of the time games were down to the wire and tough. I am glad Boswell was able to shape your thoughts for the day though.

My friend...from what I have witnessed with Petitbon, Turner, Shottenheimer, Spurrier and Gibbs II....Gibbs I dominated. 5 NFC East titles, 4 NFC crowns, 3 world championships. As coach Gibbs says all the time, "from a Redskins standpoint" that was domination. I don't know what bandwagon you left to come here but we did dominate at one time and it sure isn't right now.

As for your "down to the wire theory", you are wrong. '83 Skins went 14-2. Offense scored a then record 541 points until Minnesota topped that. Doesn't sound like too many nailbiters to me. '91 Skins, 14-2. Most games over by halftime. The list goes on and on. Do you see our offense doing that these days. For crying out loud no way.

Gibbs I won 124 nailbiters and lost 60, including 16-5 in post season. Today's regime....not even close. Bottom line? The current squad has quit buying in to the philosophy.

Well I have 35 years in and I aint quittin I bleed Redskin Football and I take it like a man. Stop your damn whining and start cheering for your team like a real fan. :helmet: :dallasuck :2cents:

I'm cheering for the Redskins......

...to hire a GM.

:)

This is what I'm talking about. You guys have Gibbs I on a pedestal. If it was so great, how come he never won two in a row? I'm just saying, maybe you all were expecting more than you should have when he came back. I though he would net us one SB in 5-6 years and be done again. Anything more than that would not be a return to Gibbs I, it would be science fiction.

And I'm adding in 8 Playoff Appearances in 12 years with a 16-5 playoff record only surpassed by Lombardi himself.

That's the American way. Sell something that completely sucks for a huge premium and laugh all the way to the bank.

Can you blame him?

As fans, we almost feel like we've been scammed. The old, "Just give me your bank account number and I'll deposit the $1000, after you send me $10,000. Then I'll refund your $10,000 payment." scam.

Well I have 35 years in and I aint quittin I bleed Redskin Football and I take it like a man. Stop your damn whining and start cheering for your team like a real fan. :helmet: :dallasuck :2cents:

Problem is, when you accept losing "like a man," then you accept medocrity, which is what we are. If Snyder sees all the "true" fans as you say, accept losing, then where is the motivation to win?

Seriously, do people actually expect our team to come out each and every year and win the superbowl? We have been good and we have been bad. We have also spent plenty of time in the middle. NO TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL COMPLETELY DOMINATES YEAR AFTER YEAR PEOPLE!!! Enjoy the Washington Redskins. Root your hearts out for them each and every game! Being a fan means rooting and hoping for the best each and every game. You HAVE to have a life outside of this team in order to live a healthy lifestyle. This team WILL lose every now and again... even if we were currently a superbowl team. Take each season for what it's worth and enjoy watching football!

:point2sky

To quote our good friend Mr. Herman Edwards, "you play to win the game." Do you go into the season and say, "Gee, 8-8 sounds peachy. To hell with a SB." No. Every team should expect to be playing in the SB in the offseason. If they don't, they have no business being on the field.

That's exactly my point. You're all spoiled by Bill Belichek winning 3 Superbowls in 4 years and on the verge of his 4th in 7. For some reason, you all feel like Gibbs I was on par with this kind of accomplishment. It was just a decent run over the course of a decade. The Patriots are dominant. The skins were just good. If the Patriots and Colts of today or the early 90's Cowboys had been playing during Gibbs I, do you really think we'd have any Super Bowls at all?

Skins were a dominant team at different times, but we were always in the thick of a playoff race every year, reaching 8 in 12 years. Same argument could be used for Gibbs, Walsh and Parcells. You think Shula, Landry, Noll or Lombardi would have won all those SB's if Joe, Bill and Bill were coaching back when they coached. And I'll take another decent run as you say, of 8 playoffs, 4 SB's and 3 wins anytime over the BS we've seen the last 15 years.

Why would he change? He looks out and sees a full stadium. His bank account numbers continue to increase.

In his case, ignorance truly is bliss.

The guy already has more money than he can spend. There comes a time when it's not about accumulating more and he wants to see a winning team.

Or, they ain't nearly as good.

They have had halftime leads in every game this season. They may not be Thomas/Jansen good, but they're good enough to have beaten what has been presented to them, minus the Pats.

When you have your Head Coach shoving in your head from day-1 than you're an underdog and will only win by three points, that losing culture becomes ingrained in your psyche.

Hey were soft we give up leads & games that we should win we all know we should be 8-1 ready to play the Cowgirls for the lead in the NFC. It will get better every team has to pay their dues. I am a Laker fan we had Showtime in the 80's got beat down in the 90's then Shaq & KOBE destroyed our dynasty this decade. Were just one awesome pass rusher from being a great team. :2cents: :dallasuck :laugh:

Hey were soft we give up leads & games that we should win we all know we should be 8-1 ready to play the Cowgirls for the lead in the NFC. :

Haven't we been calling close losses 'should wins' for over a decade now? At what point to we just accept it? That the Skins are not a whole lot better than average and there are no 'should' or 'easy' wins on their schedule?

When you have your Head Coach shoving in your head from day-1 than you're an underdog and will only win by three points, that losing culture becomes ingrained in your psyche.

That's the smartest thing I've ever read on the board. It's true, if you preach and preach that message it will become expected. I am not really sure why you would say things like that to your team, but I am not a coach either. Even Tom Brady said he was sure that Gibbs wasn't selling the "biggest underdog in sports history," to his own team, but he probably was. I still have faith in our team, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I still believe in Joe, but the faith is slowly diminishing.

We've been blown out one game and the rest have gone down to the end. I wouldn't call this year a failure. Just because we don't have the elite offenses of those so called dynasties doesn't mean we can't win. A win is a win no matter how pretty. All it takes is a few ugly wins in a row to make the whole season look a little better. I think our coaches have definitely earned their pay by preparing second string guys to start every week. I don't agree with the conservative approach, but when you are trying to win without chemistry, you play your hand as close as you can. One thing you definitely can't argue, we are better than last year.

We've been blown out one game and the rest have gone down to the end. I wouldn't call this year a failure. Just because we don't have the elite offenses of those so called dynasties doesn't mean we can't win. A win is a win no matter how pretty. All it takes is a few ugly wins in a row to make the whole season look a little better. I think our coaches have definitely earned their pay by preparing second string guys to start every week. I don't agree with the conservative approach, but when you are trying to win without chemistry, you play your hand as close as you can.

Except those games didn't need to be so close.

We had the Giants dead to rights.

We had Green Bay dead to rights.

We had Philly in a position to stomp them into the ground and keep stomping.

Then we not only let all three of them back into the game, we wrapped it up with a nice, little bow and let them have it. The only reason the Dolphins, Jets (two worst teams in the league) and Cardinals didn't was that they wouldn't know what to do with a win if it looked them in the face.

Some of you are talking like we are a 3-6 or 2-7 team. We are a team with a winning record. We play like a 8-1 team and that's what we should be, but almost only counts in horse shoes. The offense showed up for the Eagles game, even without Moss. But the defense collapsed and blew a 9 point 4th Qr. lead.

Archived