Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KFFL:reports that both Carolina and the Texans will make a big push for S.Davis.

michael_33

KFFL is reporting that the "Trenton Times" says that Carolina will make a big push for S.Davis and the Texans are likely to join that interest as well.

I'm sure most of of us already knew this was going to happen,but i thought i would let ya know.

I'm also sure there will be more teams to have interest in S.Davis once free agency begins.

I do hope that if/when he goes,i hope it's to an AFC team and not in the NFC East.As i fear S.Davis has more good years ahead of him if he stay's healthy.

Why not instead a releasing SD, we get a little compensation for him. We should trade him to the Texans for their 1st round pick.

I don't think the Panthers are as interested as the Texans. The Panthers drafted DeShaun Foster from UCLA in the second round last year, and they have a healthy Lamar Smith returning from a pretty good year.

I've thought about the idea of trading Davis, as our cap impact would be the same if we traded or cut him after Feb 20. It's all up to Davis though-- he has a no-trade clause in his contract and would have to give his consent to any trade. Any team that would get him would also get the 4 years remaining on his contract and his $7.5M base salary. If they don't choose to eat the $7.5M cap number for 2003, they could guarantee his salary, drop his cap number to around $2.4M, and spread $7M or so across the life of the contract. Or they could just negotiate a new deal with him.

So the two key questions to ask are:

(1) Would a team be interested in trading a pick just to have an exclusive first shot at negotiating with him?

(2) Does Davis think he can get more than $7.5M in 2003 by testing the open market?

I think it's a real longshot. Perhaps Carolina would interest Davis enough since he'd be playing close to his home. If it happened, it would be between 2/20 and 2/28 and probably wouldn't involve more than a 3rd round pick.

Fox is a defense and ball control coach who had to throw a lot more in 2002 than he wanted to because there was no threat from the backfield.

Biakabatuka was injury prone and Foster went down almost immediately with a serious injury this season as well.

People may criticize Davis for his supposed flaws of durability, but the fact remains that if you look at his carries since 1999 he is one of the busiest backs in the NFL and one of the most productive.

Other teams will pay for that productivity.

If he is healthy he will go for 1,300 or 1,400 yards elsewhere in 2003.

No team in their right minds would TRADE for Davis when the entire world knows we're going to release him. He's going to get his money, regardless of what team he goes to.

The only way a trade happens is the scenario mentioned before on this site. A team wanting to obtain Davis, and subsequently block him from hitting the FA market, so as to have exclusive salary negotiations. We all know when there is more than one team bidding for his services it becomes a "He Said/She Said" scenario and the winner normally overpays for the player.

Not sure I see Casserly doing that. J. Jones perhaps..... but not most of the more savy GM's in which I put Charley in that category.

The team is still on the hook for the portion of his signing bonus that was ammortized over the total length of the contract. If I recall with Davis, he played two years of a six year deal. Originally, his bonus would effect the cap in six equal amounts over the six years. Since Davis will be cut after two years the remaining four installments become immediatly due in terms of impact on the team's cap number.

The team can also wait until later in the off-season to defer half the cap effect to the next season.

Well guys,I think the RB's in this draft are fairly thin and Davis could be a hot comodity.(specially since mcgahee went down)

Davis is a proven back if in the right system and i think it could be fairly possible to trade him for something.

I say this because if cut,then anyone can bid on him and if a team has the cap and wants to take a chance,they could very well do that.

...And who to say Davis won't demand more money than what he is making!(if that is even possible)

Were gonna take a hit either way,so i don't see why we can't have him on the trade bloc.(if davis agree's to it)

Plus davis may think nobody will pay him that much if cut and may say yes to the trade.(he didn't have that great of a season and is coming off an injury as well.)

This is what i would try to get out of him!!

Davis and our 7th rounder(since we have 2)(miami's)

For a second and a fifth rounder!(replace our 5th that is gone)

If it's carolina or texans we would have a high 2 and 5th rounder.

1st round=Andre johnson WR\Terrell Suggs DE

2nd rounder=talmen Gardner WR\vince manuwaie\ty warren DL

from Texans or panthers (or maybe even Boss Bailey)

2nd rounder=Steinback G\Troy palumalu s\

ours

and so on!!

ours

I know we are somewhat split around here on Davis' value, but man I have a hard time with us letting him go. In my fantasy world, we go to Stephen and tell him we can't live with seeing him do anything other than retire as a Redskin, and beg him to restructure his deal to a manageable $$ figure with an agreement that upon retiring he becomes Redskins RB Coach for as long as he desires to be. I like Watson and Betts, but to see a competitor like SD just walk hurts me. Fuji has eloquently stated how we let guys who bleed B&G get away and then spend years bashing them. Hope thats not the case with Davis. If he goes as it looks like he will, hope he'll always be remembered as the heart and soul type player he's mostly been, not the whiny fumbler some insist he's become.

I'm with alot of you guys on keeping Stephen Davis, especially with the guy talking about to restructure his deal above. I do however, think Carolina will be in high ranking for his talent due to their incredible amount of money in which they have to spend this year. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but it's awesome. I would love for the skins to have that much to work with. Carolina should progress alot this year and I hope they do. Except of course, against us.

Fansince62, I see your point. That's the only way a trade occurs. My question is whether he is seen as an elite back, ala Faulk who was traded for a 2nd and 5th, considering his age and injury history. The key is, once on a the free agent market... just what kind of money is a 30 year old back going to get. He's essentially got one contract left in him.... and many teams are going to balk at paying him a heavy salary at that age.

Davis would be an almost pertfect fit for the Texans. I've been saying it for a while.

They get Davis to go with Carr, then use that #1 on Rogers. They address the Ol with their 2cds, and/or 3rds, as well as maybe a vet or two. Voila, they just might have a decent offense. Plus, their two OT's who were on injured reserve might be back healthy....

That way they don't need to draft a RB for a year or two. Right now they need WR's and RB's.

Archived