Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much of the Patriots' success is really because of Belichick?

Bacon

Belichick has been under fire all season, and I have backed him up through most of it. However, yesterday's debacle and my own Redskins fandom temporarily blinded me and, out of spite, I decided to dig up these fun statistics:

Belichick's regular season coaching record (Patriots included): 119-81 (0.595)

Record coaching the Browns: 37-45

Record coaching the Patriots before Brady (2000 season): 5-11

Record coaching the Patriots with Brady (2001 season): 11-5

Total record before Brady: 42-56

Total record with Brady: 90-28

Now, tell me, what makes the Patriots such an amazing organization? Is it really the coaching? Or is it just the fact that the team is stacked with talent? Possibly all of the above?

Belichick has been under fire all season, and I have backed him up through most of it. However, yesterday's debacle and my own Redskins fandom temporarily blinded me and, out of spite, I decided to dig up these fun statistics:

Belichick's regular season coaching record (Patriots included): 119-81 (0.595)

Record coaching the Browns: 37-45

Record coaching the Patriots before Brady (2000 season): 5-11

Record coaching the Patriots with Brady (2001 season): 11-5

Total record before Brady: 42-56

Total record with Brady: 90-28

Now, tell me, what makes the Patriots such an amazing organization? Is it really the coaching? Or is it just the fact that the team is stacked with talent? Possibly all of the above?

I'd say 30% BB, 40% Brady, 20% the rest of the team being stacked. Take the team away and the Pats still win a lot of games and 2 out of 3 SBs due to the talent of Brady and BB's coaching. Take BB away and Brady leads a team to a 10-6 average I would say with perennial playoff appearances but no rings to show for it. Take Brady away and BB can do about the same if he has the stacked team. Without, well I would say 5-11.

I'd say 30% BB, 40% Brady, 20% the rest of the team being stacked. Take the team away and the Pats still win a lot of games and 2 out of 3 SBs due to the talent of Brady and BB's coaching. Take BB away and Brady leads a team to a 10-6 average I would say with perennial playoff appearances but no rings to show for it. Take Brady away and BB can do about the same if he has the stacked team. Without, well I would say 5-11.

No doubt, they lucked out with Brady.

However, they've got STUD OL and DL. What BB does very well is the following:

a) Takes away, or severely limits, his opposition's best attacking option.

B) Attacks his opposition's weakest point.

c) If "b" doesn't work due to gameplanning by the opp., he takes what the defense gives him.

d) TREMENDOUS in-game management. When's the last time you've seen the Patriots mismanage the clock?

and, most importantly,

e) adjusts his gameplan around his players strengths. He doesn't try and fit a square peg in a round hole; rather, he squeezes every ounce of productivity out of them possible.

MO,

PF

No doubt, they lucked out with Brady.

However, they've got STUD OL and DL. What BB does very well is the following:

a) Takes away, or severely limits, his opposition's best attacking option.

B) Attacks his opposition's weakest point.

c) If "b" doesn't work due to gameplanning by the opp., he takes what the defense gives him.

d) TREMENDOUS in-game management. When's the last time you've seen the Patriots mismanage the clock?

and, most importantly,

e) adjusts his gameplan around his players strengths. He doesn't try and fit a square peg in a round hole; rather, he squeezes every ounce of productivity out of them possible.

MO,

PF

If not for Brady I think the Eagles would own at least 1 SB trophy right now. Same with Panthers.

Edit: assuming Pats still made it to SB - which is quite unlikely w/out Brady, so original point of mine is moot. :)

If not for Brady I think the Eagles would own at least 1 SB trophy right now. Same with Panthers.

Edit: assuming Pats still made it to SB - which is quite unlikely w/out Brady, so original point of mine is moot. :)

Archived