Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worried about our Running Game

Veretax

I must admit I am VERY VERY worried about our running game. Our D-Line has played really well, as have our Linebackers. I can't remember a season where we've been this good On Defense in a long time, but our lack of a run game is really starting to scare me.

Is portis basically on his last legs? He doesn't have that getty up he used to have. Betts has had marginally better at times runs, but he is not the answer as Starter. Obviously we need Sellars, and Rock is our Kick Returner so we can't really lose him, so here's my question, is our Problems with our run game entirely due to our Oline issues? Or should we consider drafting a Running back next year? I'm not saying necessarily a first day pick, but if we can find a quality depth guy behind portis, someone that isn't as much of a let down when put in now and then, We could then get rid of one of our others, maybe Rock, Maybe Betts. I know both are signed to deals now, but let's be honest here. This team depends on the Run far too much. As much as I'd love a Big WR for campbell to throw to, and as much as we need to look at O-Line depth in the draft, I really have to wonder If we need to address our backs.

Secondly, Any idea who might be available as a FA as a RB next year?

Okay Just looking right now the following guys may be available, if we assume we are a playoff team this year:

Top ten seniors for next year:

Mike Hart SR 5-9/196/- Michigan Nedrow, NY

Tashard Choice SR 6-1/205/- Georgia Tech Lovejoy, GA

Allen Patrick SR 6-0/191/- Oklahoma Conway, SC

Ryan Torain SR 6-1/213/- Arizona State Shawnee Mission, KS

Yvenson Bernard SR 5-9/203/- Oregon State Boca Raton, FL

Kregg Lumpkin SR 6-1/222/- Georgia Stone Mountain, GA

Chauncey Washington SR 6-0/215/- USC Torrance, CA

Rafael Little SR 5-10/195/- Kentucky Anderson, SC

Chris Johnson SR 5-11/195/- East Carolina Orlando, FL

Cory Boyd SR 6-1/214/- South Carolina Orange, NJ

This doesn't include some possible Juniors that might come out

(See: Steve Slaton is just one example, as is Darren McFadden (possible #1 pick), so you never know)

Or Full backs (having another good fullback could mean we'd be able to run Sellars more, (none of these are rated in the top 30 some right now, so maybe a second round picK?) It could also allow us to send cooley out a bit more as the guy can block pretty good too. It also would be a hedge against Oline Injuries a bit.

Peyton Hillis SR 6-2/243/- Arkansas Conway, AR

Owen Schmitt SR 6-3/260/- West Virginia

Of course this might mean nothing if our Oline starts to gel over the next four weeks, maybe this prooves we don't need a Back, bu you can't help but wonder these days.

Mike Sellars IMO is strictly a 5-7 carries a game type of guy. Hes look good in situations in short yardage, but i cant see Gibbs and Comp turning him into in Alstott type of guy. I just can't see that.

As far as drafting a RB i believe maybe in the later rounds if our Scout team see something they really like in the later rounds.

I think we would see Clinton's legs be better if we had better blocking. I think its hard to see just how well or how poor hes doing this season with the state our offensive line is in. Clinton's a fairly young dude, and cutting him just isnt feaseable with his cap number. I still like Clinton, and certainly think hes our guy at RB.

Our running game also collapsed in the '05 playoffs after Randy Thomas got hurt. Thomas is the best pulling guard in the NFL, which is key to our running schemes.

Both Portis and Betts can't both have gone down the toilet simultaneously. Our O-line has 1 starter from last year playing right now. We've relying on a washed up Fabini to replace our best lineman.

i gotta say it's mostly the o-line. there's no RB in the league that wouldn't have a drop in numbers if 3 of the startin lineman went out. and to make it worse, teams know that if we are running, then it's usually to the left. so even though our running game is bad now, i think we have a good running back situation. when we get rabach and thomas back, i think we will have a productive running game.

Mike Sellars IMO is strictly a 5-7 carries a game type of guy. Hes look good in situations in short yardage, but i cant see Gibbs and Comp turning him into in Alstott type of guy. I just can't see that.

As far as drafting a RB i believe maybe in the later rounds if our Scout team see something they really like in the later rounds.

I think we would see Clinton's legs be better if we had better blocking. I think its hard to see just how well or how poor hes doing this season with the state our offensive line is in. Clinton's a fairly young dude, and cutting him just isnt feaseable with his cap number. I still like Clinton, and certainly think hes our guy at RB.

I would think his Cap number basically prevents that from being even thought about. Betts and Rock maybe not so much. I agree with you, It bugs the TAR out of me that we haven't run better, and had these injuries, cause you don't really know whether its our oline alone, or if Portis is bad.

Our running game also collapsed in the '05 playoffs after Randy Thomas got hurt. Thomas is the best pulling guard in the NFL, which is key to our running schemes.

Both Portis and Betts can't both have gone down the toilet simultaneously. Our O-line has 1 starter from last year playing right now. We've relying on a washed up Fabini to replace our best lineman.

Really? Didn't know that. I didn't get to see too many games that year. Charleston Charter Cable tended to carry more Ohio/Jets games for some stupid reason, anywhere a Marshall/WV player played. that's good info thanks. That makes me feel a bit better. though it doesn't explain whether Randy will be good when he comes back either :/

Maybe I'm too much of a homer or over reacting, but I'm very concerned about our run game. Blocking has been an issue in the passing game as well, and keeping cooley in, ugh is not the best solution at times. I'll take a deep breath and pray that Rabach is back for the pats game.

This actually gets me thinking.

If running to the right is so difficult then what if we manufacture another way to get the ball in portis/betts hands (I'm thinking steal a page from the Eagles play book, and throw a few more swing/screen passes) have Portis go in motion and be the primary receiver on some plays. I'd like that a lot more maybe than WR screens :/

Thank you.. What we all fail to realize is that backups will tend to look good for the 1st week or so and then the production/reality sets forth after teams have seen tapes and what the team does to try to keep them safe or what they do to hide their personnel's weakeness

Archived