Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer/internet question

GSF

I'm very new to computers and the internet and really know very little about them. I just figured out how to respond with a quote on this board last week. I'm in a situation at work where I would like to use the internet to generate business. We do have a website but it needs to be updated badly. Is this something that I can learn to do myself somewhat easily or do I have to pay somebody? also, I want to do a mass emailing with a link to our website to potential clients. We already have a good number of email addresses, but we need more. Is it possible to buy or obtain lists of email addresses of people that may have interest in our business? Thanks very much in advance of any comments or suggestions.

GA,

There are very easy software programs available to help design and maintain web pages. You can probably learn that yourself, but you will suffer through, for a while, the look of a web site done by a guy who's learning new software :). You don't have to pay anyone for this though. Go to google and do searches on different tips and techniques for hosting web space and you can learn it all and do it all yourself.

As for buying a mass mailing list, that is possible I know, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how to do it. My guess is you'd need to contact an agency of some sort and go from there.

If you decide to give it a go yourself my suggestion to you is stay away from programs like Microsoft Frontpage. They are known as What You See Is What You Get software. If you are truly interested in creating your own web pages you should learn to write html. A simple text editor like Windows notepad will work or you can try a program like NoteTab. NoteTab has a free version that is probably one of the best free software programs available on the web. There are a lot of other free sites on the web that will teach you how to do web pages but it does take time to understand it all. If you are pushed for time or want a web based storefront you may be better off paying a pro to do it for you. Just holding on to your domain can be a hard thing. Check some of the links below if you want.

http://www.notetab.com/

www.weballey.net

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/

even better....lotta folks I know who went down your road simply copied the source code from sites they liked to get themselves started. apply a little basic html knowledge and you're in business. in IE, select View | Source and a copy of the source code appears. Of course, you may be copiing bad code! You may have to dig if the structure is complex. in the event, it will speed the process up for you.

in the long run, to do it right (i.e., keep pace with technology) you will land up investing a lot of time.

Originally posted by GaSkinsfan

<snip>

also, I want to do a mass emailing with a link to our website to potential clients. We already have a good number of email addresses, but we need more. Is it possible to buy or obtain lists of email addresses of people that may have interest in our business? Thanks very much in advance of any comments or suggestions.

PLEASE, I beg of you, don't spam.

This is from someone who gets an average of 150 spam emails a day.

Archived