Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'World' Champions

Ian

When I watched the end of the superbowl last night, the Presenter declared quite magnamously 'The Tampa Bay Bucs. Superbowl Champions. World Champions'

Why 'World Champions'? Its something that's bugged me for many a year. Why not just Superbowl Champions?- the best team in America or American champions.

I appreciate that an Argentian and Polish kicker were 'good enough' to represent their respective sides but why the need to imply the rest of the World now respect an essentially American pastime.

I know its just hyperbole or to exaggerate HYPERBOLE but why see a game or tournament played by Americans as requiring a 'World' label to justify its legitimacy? It doesn't need it. As an English fan of American Football, I love the game and follow it obsessively but it is essentially an American thing not a world thing.

I suppose it's technically correct that the Bucs are the best in the world at playing NFL rules football, which is why the NFL feels ok using that term. But there ARE a lot of other American rules football leagues in the world. It is kinda silly.

I don't follow MLS soccer. Do they use the term "World Champion" for their league Champ? Anyone know? I'm curious.

And what about the World Series? Does the rest of the world have a problem with that title?

I`m also from Europe but I have no problem calling the Buccaneers "World Champions", let`s face it, the difference between the NFL and the rest of the football world is so big, call them World Champions, they deserve it.

And what about the World Series? Does the rest of the world have a problem with that title?

Well, firstly I ought point out that I don't speak for the rest of the World, but as thread starter Henry I'll try to answer your question. Yes, a problem, at the very least an issue that at most it is a North American tournament again. If teams from Japan and Cuba and other baseball playing nations competed then the concept of a World Series is legitimised. Otherwise, its a misnomer perpetuated because (I presume) it sounded good and Americans in general don't have problem with assuming American Champs equals World Champions.

Football's not a world thing? Why the he** not?

PCS, speaking as an English fan of American football, I do not think that your football will ever take off in Europe or anywhere else really, perhaps in Germany but not to the extent that a professional league would be established with a majority of German nationals. Hence, the American thing. Cricket is essentially an English thing but because we used to have an Empire its at least played in most Commonwealth ex-colonial places. However, when Essex or Kent win the County Championship in Cricket, no one assumed that meant they were World Champions or even Champions of the Northern Hemisphere of the World. A bad example really because English Cricket is in such a bad state but you may see the point.

In England, btw, do you know who is the most popular Football player or the only one anyone can remember?

Marino, Elway or Montana. No, its the 'refridgerator'. They would not know him as William Perry either just his moniker.

Originally posted by Ian

... and Americans in general don't have problem with assuming American Champs equals World Champions.

If the highest level of the sport is played in America (or rather the United States of America) than it stands to reason that the winner of that tournament, being the best team at the highest level, would not be incorrect in calling themselves best in the world.

While it does require assumptions to be made that there are no better teams anywhere else ... that's an easy assumption to make, don't you think? The odds of a "secret super-team" out there somewhere seem quite small indeed.

I know that "American ****iness" makes the world (especially you Europeans) bristle, but when you consider what our country has accomplished technologically, economically, socially and yes, militarily in a mere 228 years it should be understandable.

So, OK, we're not the politest people on earth. But we are damn good at most anything we set our minds to ... football included! :)

:doh:

As far as football goes, I think, if done properly, it could take off in Europe. As many have stated before, NFL Europe needs to be drastically changed, so that significant #s of NFL players wind up on their rosters, and that NFL Europe teams are tied specifically to a team of small # of teams (perhaps a division). Look, basketball is exploding worldwide, and I dont see any reason the same thing can't happen with football.

You know Brave what actually made me bristle was you generalised me as a European. It brought out the little Englander in me.

Orangeskin, there's a flaw in your plan and that is most of Europe would ignore your abolition of Soccer and we would have something approaching a 'prohibition' time with football (our football) replacing alcohol.

It is cultural for us to kick a circular ball, arguably especially in African American culture, they would instinctively bounce it.

With a oval shaped ball, we would instinctively pass it backwards because that's a basic tenet of Rugby football. That's partly why I like American Football because its different but similiar enough to rugby for me to 'understand' it. Most English people just don't get American football, they can't understand it. That's why World Champions is misplaced because the World does not acknowledge the Tampa Bay Bucs as World Champions, Americans do. Its a matter of perspective. I personally can't see why the pinnacle of a team's acheivement is not described as Superbowl Champions, Champions of the United States of America. It is what it is. C'est le vie to restore some of my Europeanism I rather hastily discarded earlier.

To be honest, it's simply a matter of fact that Professional Football is not played in other countries like it is played here.

The talent in the NFL is far superior to that of any other league around the world, and thus a team that claims championship in the NFL would probably beat any other team that it came up against.

And as far as MLS goes, no they do not claim "world championship" rights. Any European club could beat a MLS squad. Why? Because they have better talent.

Just like any NFL team could beat a NFL Europe squad.

Originally posted by Ian You know Brave what actually made me bristle was you generalised me as a European.
What's the difference in me calling you a "European" and you calling me an "American" (which could be referring to anyone from the South of Argentina to the North of Canada or anywhere in between)?" We're both grouping by areas larger than our respective countries. Do unto others ... y'know?

Hey, at least I got it narrowed down to a single continent.

Originally posted by Ian It brought out the little Englander in me.
You keep your "little Englander" to yourself there, mister. :laugh:

What's the difference in me calling you a "European" and you calling me an "American" (which could be referring to anyone from the South of Argentina to the North of Canada or anywhere in between)?" We're both grouping by areas larger than our respective countries. Do unto others ... y'know?

I didn't call you an "American" as a point of order, I called you an American. The difference is this in everyday conversation over here, when I talk of Americans no-one stops me and says could you clarify whether you meant Canadians or Argentinians when you said Americans because you realise that "anyone...anywhere in between" No, they don't waste their breathe. So, I'll respectfully say I don't know. In fact, the only national group I can think of who want to be known as Americans rather than their own indigenous nationality is Mexicans crossing the border illegally!!! Whereas, if I talked about Europeans, they probably would ask me to clarify who I meant (French, German, Italians etc) or switch off because European is really only used in a political context over here discussing something to do with the EEC or the dreaded single currency which we haven't joined yet.

Anyway, I liked your second retort.

You keep your "little Englander" to yourself there, mister.

Archived