Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone ever get a masters in education, while not being a teacher already

Cdowwe

Bad idea.

I once had a teacher tell me why this is the case.

If you have a masters, that your starting salery for a teaching job has to be higher (union rules). So most school boards will NOT hire you, because even though you have a masters, you have little to no experince. Yet they have to pay you more.

They would rather hire someone without a masters, and pay them less, and pay for their schooling. Then, give a raise when you earn your masters.

Now you have experince, they know you aren't going to leave after the 1st year (a common thing) and it cost them less.

Yea I had heard this too.

What about this. Anyone ever get a teaching license from a school, even though you just have a BA or BS not in education. I know you can do this if you have just the BA or BS, without getting the masters

I got my Masters in Education from Universtiy of Phoenix Online while not being a teacher. I got my undergrad degree in Psychology and was working in the mental health field while doing this. I went part-time to do my student teaching and complete my Masters degree. It worked out great for me and did not have a problem getting my certification.

Edit: I picked up a long-term sub. position at the same school that I did my student teaching at and was offered a job right after the school year was over, technically before I was even certified.

I never thought about Phoenix Bugs... I dont really know how employers judge online degrees. But if you didnt have any trouble. How long did it take you to complete your masters online Bugs?

Thanks Ntotoro

Well, it's an acredited school which is all that really matters.

It took me around 1 1/2 years to get my Masters

You can get a masters in Ed. without ever teaching. Actually a fair number of people in other fields such as corporate training and coaching positions earn masters degrees.

Additionally, it is my understanding that some states, such as New York are now actually requiring starting teachers to have a masters before they get classroom jobs.

Archived