Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Skaggs, Confidence is Key

stratoman

A fellow Redskins fan emailed this to me.

08/28/2001

My Fellow Redskins Fans:

I got this article on Justin Skaggs from www.redskins.com it is pretty good. I hope he makes the team.

Kevin

By Tom Wargo

Redskins Weekly Correspondent

No one in the NFL seemed to know much about Justin Skaggs until just two months before the 2001 draft.

So Skaggs, a wide receiver with outstanding speed from little-known Evangel University, an NAIA school in Missouri, paid his own money to make a highlight tape of his senior year.

He sent it to 15 NFL teams, and only three called him to express interest. Washington was one of them.

"Seattle, the Giants and the Redskins called," Skaggs said. "And the only people who sounded semi-serious were the Redskins."

The Redskins stayed in touch with the 6-foot-4, 205-pound Skaggs while he played for the Tulsa Talons in the Arena Football League, telling him they might draft him in the later rounds.

Skaggs watched the draft anxiously and received a call during the fifth round.

"They called and said they are picking me up as a free agent," Skaggs said.

Although at one time it appeared Skaggs was a long shot to make the Redskins' opening day roster for the September 9 game at San Diego, Skaggs is still standing. Skaggs predicts he'll be a Redskin come September.

"I am going to make this football team," he said. "I am totally confident. I think athletically I am right there.

"The biggest thing is to stay strong mentally and know the offense. I am in a very good situation and I just know I am going to make it."

Skaggs feels the NFL doesn't respect NAIA football.

He points outs another Evangel product, running back Derrick Clark, played with the Denver Broncos in 1994. The Broncos gave him the ball 56 times that year, he responded with 108 yards and three TDs. The undrafted Clark was the team's fourth-leading rusher overall, behind Leonard Russell, John Elway and Glyn Milburn.

"Normally, they don’t give the smaller schools a chance," Skaggs said. "They don’t at all. I would like to change that."

Former Redskins receiver and scout Charlie Brown kept in touch with Skaggs in the weeks leading up to the draft, hoping he was a well-kept secret among the NFL.

Brown lobbied for Washington to draft and sign Skaggs.

"He was one of those guys who was swept under the carpet," Brown said. "He is a rare find, a diamond in the rough. He is a special kind of football player and he has the opportunity to do something special in this league.

"You put him in a big-time program and he would have been a very high draft pick."

Skaggs decided to play in the Arena League to gain exposure; he played NAIA football in the Heartland of America Conference.

He left Tulsa after three games when the Redskins signed him. Skaggs played wide receiver, returned kicks and punts, and also played defensive back. In a workout, he ran a 4.37 40-yard dash and bench-pressed 225 pounds 15 times for the Talons.

"He has outstanding speed and acceleration," Brown said. "He is very versatile and a very good special teams player."

Skaggs played safety his first two years in college, then switched to wide receiver because of injuries to both shoulders.

Evangel coaches felt since he had surgery on both shoulders, he shouldn't take the pounding that comes with playing defense. Besides, there was a need for a wideout.

Skaggs played in a run-oriented offense his senior year, catching only 22 passes.

"He is kind of a late bloomer," Evangel head coach Charlie Linn said. "He has steadily improved. I think his hands and route-running are the things he started to improve his senior year."

Skaggs had enough speed to run track during his junior and senior years.

What is Skaggs' best quality, though? His attitude.

"He has a real good mental tenacity for success," Linn said. "And if he makes it, it will be an edge for him.

"He doesn't let things bother him. He is very confident, but not arrogant."

Linn sent a tape to one NFL team in the fall on Skaggs. They seemed unimpressed.

"The criticism was he didn't look fast enough," Linn said. "I found that kind of amusing."

Excellent article stratoman. Thanks. I'm really excited about this guy. Our WR's are going to surprise this year, I have a hunch.

You know, it's been an awful long time since the Skins have come up with a gem that no one else knew about.

As a matter of fact, who are some of these past diamonds in the rough?

What about Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders? Or SB hero Timmy Smith? And what about Brian Mitchell? He was no name, too, wasn't he?

I stood right by those guys at camp - Skaggs MIGHT be 6'1" and McCants MIGHT be 6'2". I think you have to take measurements of NFL guys in much the same way that women have learned to accept measurements offered by guys during bar room trash talk.

Not that I've ever engaged in disseminating any such misinformation, mind you. smile.gif

For my money, Skaggs is the leader in the clubhouse for feel-good story of the summer. Hard not to root for the guy ... and truth be told, I have this funny feeling he'll make some plays for us this fall.

("Disseminating", TC? laugh.gif )

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl:

I stood right by those guys at camp - Skaggs MIGHT be 6'1" and McCants MIGHT be 6'2". I think you have to take measurements of NFL guys in much the same way that women have learned to accept measurements offered by guys during bar room trash talk.

Not that I've ever engaged in disseminating any such misinformation, mind you. smile.gif

I think they just round up. You know, if I'm 6'1 and a small fraction, I'd get listed as 6-2. Then add an inch for good measuresmile.gif

------------------

Comming October 16, a new name!

Archived