Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst case scenario.

Art

This is what I thought could possibly be the worst thing that could happen to the team after two weeks. Two weeks of mistake-filled and unsure football. We've gotten precisely that. It will be interesting reading the quotes coming out of this game by the players and coaches to see how deep the divide runs.

I had said if the team started off badly, whatever division and questions about Marty there were would start coming out from off the unnamed player or team veteran, and start taking on a shape. If so, it is without question the end of the season and Marty will need to purge the tanks to right the ship.

Our defensive unit, presently, isn't big enough to handle the reps it's getting. It is a small unit based upon speed and can only be successful given some assistance from the offense. Once it wears down, it's a slow, grinding game that other teams will use against us and beat us with.

Marty has proven himself to be a successful head coach. All of his history will quickly become meaningless to Redskin fans with these types of performances. He has to show and adaptation to some semblance of competence on the offensive side of the ball.

Guys, you may not like George, but the fact is, this is NOT George's fault. This is a team that has the opposition in our heads from the get go. No player running free in the passing game, even in short passes. There's a total failure in design.

We have to spread the field, or, better, we have to run the ball and force the defense to adjust to what we can do, thereby freeing up what we want to do. We failed again this week to do that. This week is more painful than last week because the Packers defense simply isn't as good as the Chargers.

Ours has been a laughably bad offense and we are clearly the worst team in football. We are so because we have a defense that is better suited to being coupled with an offense that sets the pace and controls the clock and we don't presently have that offense, which ultimately means the defense will fail. It simply can't hold up under these circumstances.

Watch closely what you see in the newspaper this week. Hear the players as they will tell you what to expect for the rest of this season. They will let you know very soon whether Marty can right the ship, or whether he'll have to bail and take whatever positives come from a gutted team.

As bad as it is, and, it is bad, I don't think it's time to jump off the bridge. This team, obviously, HAS to win this week against KC. We'll go from there, but, a win cures a lot. We need to create something on offense to inspire confidence throughout.

There were fewer positives in this game than against the Chargers. Smoot deserves recognition. Barber ended up playing pretty solidly. Big Daddy was very solid up the middle, and most of the Packers yards were on the edges. I think Davis showed he wanted to make up for last week, we just didn't give him the opportunity.

On the negative side, you have a total misplay by Champ which puts his game down. Bruce Smith was a non-factor. Chris Samuels was lost against the speed guy he was on, and that should be his strength. Campbell was blown out of the water and repeatedly picked on. And of course, you have the total disappearance of the skill players on the roster.

It's frightening that EVERY play we call is so totally sniffed out. That's design fellas. George runs a play action, which should pull the backers up, but, despite how good it is, the backers are 10-yards back and he throws a pick. But, you can't blame him because I don't think he's playing outside the offense. I think he's taking what he's supposed to take.

And I think we have to write letters to Redskin Park asking how a professional team can possibly show so poorly. We're at a critical time this week with this team. And Marty really has an opportunity to shine, or, continue to tarnish.

That we do PPV.

But there are reasons and underlying concerns to be watchful of. But, sucking is about as fair an assessment as one can offer, no matter how limited in the thought behind it.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

I think it is obvious to everyone that the coaching staff, in particular Raye, is horrible. But didn't we all suspect that earlier, and still Marty brought him on board?

Marty gets what he deserves. If he wants to bring in an old-school philosepher in a high tech world, he is going to get old-school performance.

Its just a shame it comes at our expense. Fans that haven't seen but one winning season in 10 years, and it looks as though it may be 10 more before we have the opportunity.

Fellas, a hiatus may be in order. Thank the good Lord hockey is just around the corner...

Mike, we've seen five winning seasons in 10 years (91, 92, 96, 97, 99). If Marty doesn't do some coaching magic, we'll not see another this year or next year because he'll have to slice the roster apart and rebuild the following season in free agency and the draft.

Turn to hockey after Week 4, not now though Mike. If Marty has any of what has made him a successful winning coach for 14 seasons he'll get the team on pace. While I'm not predicting this, wouldn't you feel bad watching hockey if we're 2-2 after four going against the Cowboys on MNF?

But, in order to get to 2-2, we need to get to 1-2 and we need the home crowd to support the team and try to block out the terrible memories of being terrible the first two weeks. Not that it will be easy, because I can't recall seeing a more hapless football team after two weeks.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

The problem is, this isn't just a two-week pattern. EVERY preseason game was like this, too. It's like a freakin' recurring nightmare.

The opposition doesn't matter. I almost believe you could put this offense out there against only 6-7 defenders, and it would struggle. Regardless of who they play next week, I can't envision this team scoring points. I never thought a TD would seem like an avalanche of points.

At this point, the only recourse seems to be a smash-mouth running game. Can the team do it? I don't know, but there has to be something...

Art, the 96 season was so dissapointing that it should count as a losing season. As you say, I will still be at the game Sunday cheering my rear-end off, as I will for the other 7 home games. But I can tell you this, I will have a quick boo-trigger! At 75 bucks a pop I think I have that right. I'm just absolutely sick of this crap, game-after-game, year-after-year. Football has become such a depressing hobby. I can't even stand to watch it when I'm convinced that I CARE MORE ABOUT WINNING THAN HALF THE PLAYERS!

Ry, it's probably the case that a whole lot of fans care more about winning than any number of players. That's because we are dedicated for nothing and they play for cash.

But, while you are the game, pay very close attention to the routes our receivers run. Obviously, we can't see that on television, so I need someone live at the game to watch the defensive backfield to see if we are running the incompetent plays it appears, or if it's just that George has gone totally blind.

Of course, if he was just missing open guys, he'd be put down quickly.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Art, did you see the close up shots of George during the game. He wasn't even looking at the WR's, TE or RB. He was watching the pass rush the whole time. I wouldn't say he was blind, maybe he's just closing his eyes hoping he won't be crushed. I can see him coming up with another mysterious groin injury like he did with the Raiders a few years back. Hopefully it will be soon

PPV, I'm sure your statement is satisfying to you and it may well be seen by Peter King later in the week, but, other than that, it's a totally false statement. George wasn't just watching the pass rush. In fact, if he WAS, he might have released the ball on a couple of those sacks instead of appearing remarkably surprised by the company in the backfield.

He was watching the pressure on one particular blitz in which one guy was totally free and another coming free when he was sacked. George is hardly playing inspired football, but, the fact remains that he's playing within the scheme. Trust me, you might see a receiver run a route a yard short of a first down and you can blame the receiver. But, we are the one's actually calling three yard crosses on third and eight. That's not George. That's not the receiver. That's the coach who's got a back in the flat and a receiver running four yards short of a first for two of the three receivers in a pattern.

It's ok to blame George, but, the fact is, blaming George simply isn't blaming the right guy. It's the coaching staff's responsibility to put players in position to make plays. Have you seen us CREATE anything that gets Westbrook matched up with a strong safety? Have you seen ANY receiver actually open until the mop up time?

We KNOW what Norv did with this offense. And say what you want about Norv, the fact is he produced an offense that was competent and at times deadly with far less talent, and certainly so with the same players. Right now, Raye/Marty are failing to help this team on offense, which in turn destroys a defense not built for such things. You could have Montana at QB and it wouldn't make a bit of difference at present. There's no where to go with the ball. Every player is covered. Every zone taken away. Every play is known before we call it. That is a sign the opposition is in Raye's head and the quarterback of the team is meaningless because Peyton Manning would have nothing going in these games so far.

Could George do better? Sure. But, focusing on him as the problem is simply putting makeup over the real problem because at present, the real problem is far too ugly to bear. I don't doubt you'll see Banks inserted in time and at the same time there'll be a change in attitude and playcalling and we'll all think Banks is better than George, if not any good. A complete failure like this on offense goes beyond any player. This is a coaching problem that has to be resolved. We'll watch together to see if it is resolved.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Or, for a different example:

George didn't come up with the plan, on 3rd and 1, to run play action to Davis and then wait 5 seconds, all while only sending 1 reciever downfield. (Why couldn't we have a TE across the middle, while all the LBs are in that pile?)

OTOH, Jaws did have a good point in the pregame: If George follows his reads, then he can practically run over and hand the ball to Davis, and get a first down.

[edited.gif by Larry on September 25, 2001.]

Archived