Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs I vs Gibbs II - Quarter-by-quarter

DonkeyTeeth

I think the big difference is our inability to physically dominate and sloppy execution. Gibbs could call a game exactly the same way in 1987 and 2007 and here's how the games would look:

1st Quarter:

Gibbs I: Our oversized OL starts pounding away at the defense right from the get-go. With the offense confidently grinding out 4+ yards per play on the ground, we quickly take advantage of the off-balance opponent to pick up some bigger chunks of yards with a couple of crisply executed passes. We have no trouble punching the ball in from the red zone to get an early lead. Our defense takes advantage of a fired-up crowd to establish a physical presence, making sure the opponent can't establish the run.

Gibbs II: Looking to establish the run, we call a variety of rushing plays. Some of them click, but the opponents defense is able to muscle their way into the backfield on several occassions. With yards not being gained consistently, it becomes easy to sniff out our pass plays. Our QBs get hurried and have trouble finding open WRs. Drives get going, then sputter, and the inconsistency continues in the red zone. Luckily our defense is able to prevent the opponents O from getting much traction. The game starts to look like a field position battle, and the team with the edge in that battle might squeak out an early lead.

2nd Quarter:

Gibbs I: Our dominance of the line-of-scrimage continues, leading to a big time-of-possession advantage and several more scores. Keying on an opponent forced into more passing situations, our D is able to get more aggressive, leading to multiple opportunities to force turnovers. The team struts off to halftime behind applause.

Gibbs II: Our offensive players continue to alternate between good execution and miscues. Our skill players manage to rattle off a big play or two, leading to a few more scoring opportunities. Our defense continues to slow down the opponent, but already are showing signs of tiredness after multiple three-and-outs.

3rd Quarter:

Gibbs I: Our offense quickly re-establishes its physical presence, and begins another march down the field. Catching the already frustrated opponents' D off-balance, Theismann, Schroeder, or Rypien completes a perfect strike to a streaking Monk, Clark, or Sanders. The competitive portion of the game ends and our defense begins teeing off on the opponents QB and receivers. Fans praise the halftime adjustments and brilliant play calling.

Gibbs II: Uncertain about our rushing success and wanting to open up a close game, we attempt a long pass on a running down. Brunnel dumps the ball off short or Campbell is just off-target of a wide-open Moss. The offense sputters after that, giving the opponent a chance to establish themselves. Our defense starts finding itself back on its heels against an opponents offense energized by a chance to take control of the game. Fans grumble about a lack of adjustments and boring play-calling.

4th Quarter:

Gibbs I: Both teams seem resigned to running out the clock. Our offense almost casually pounds the ball into the heart of a drained defense, and we can start resting our starters midway through the quarter. The opponent's O resorts to playing catch against our pulled-back defense, padding their stats but leading to little meaningful scoring.

Gibbs II: Frustrated by 3 quarters of poor execution, our offense resorts to playing for field position and a chance for any scoring chance that will keep the game winnable. Our defense tries gamely to shut down the opponent, but the other team's playmakers begin to emerge as exhaustion takes its toll on us.

Nice descriptions but what's the answer then?

It might mean recognizing you no longer have an OL that's 20-30 lbs heavier on average, per lineman, than almost any other team, that you don't have talent on the OL that can just overwhelm people like that, that defenses are better and more aggressive (as the whole league is) and adjusting to that.

What he's pointing out is that Gibbs is still calling games like he's got a ridiculously oversized, dominantly physical line which just can't be built in today's NFL like it was back then. We were one of the only lines in football with multiple 300 pounders, we simply had a massive competitive advantage at that position that we can no longer possibly have because the athletes on defense are bigger and better. Gibbs still needs to adjust to the fact and realize that, in today's NFL, lining up with everyone in the stadium knowing what you're going to do and doing it anyways ain't gonna work like it used to. He's got to learn to be more aggressive and find ways to BUILD his player's confidence instead of trying to minimize any chances for them to make mistakes.

who wins like that today? no one! you can't consistently go on 9+ play drives and expect to score a TD anymore. you'd be lucky if you can get 1 of those a game!

there is too much parity in the nfl to beat teams with sheer talent. you have to out-scheme people and put your best players in position to make plays. you can't just line up, telegraph your play, and expect to move the ball at will. teams are going to adjust, adjust, adjust until you'd be lucky you get the snap off cleanly.

It might mean recognizing you no longer have an OL that's 20-30 lbs heavier on average, per lineman, than almost any other team, that you don't have talent on the OL that can just overwhelm people like that, that defenses are better and more aggressive (as the whole league is) and adjusting to that.

What he's pointing out is that Gibbs is still calling games like he's got a ridiculously oversized, dominantly physical line which just can't be built in today's NFL like it was back then. We were one of the only lines in football with multiple 300 pounders, we simply had a massive competitive advantage at that position that we can no longer possibly have because the athletes on defense are bigger and better. Gibbs still needs to adjust to the fact and realize that, in today's NFL, lining up with everyone in the stadium knowing what you're going to do and doing it anyways ain't gonna work like it used to. He's got to learn to be more aggressive and find ways to BUILD his player's confidence instead of trying to minimize any chances for them to make mistakes.

Yep. I completely agree....but isn't this why Gibbs brought in Al Saunders....?

Yep. I completely agree....but isn't this why Gibbs brought in Al Saunders....?

That was the idea but I've watched Saunders call plays before and let me just say this, either he's completely changed his style up or Gibbs still has a heavy influence on what packages and plays are used and at what times.

That was the idea but I've watched Saunders call plays before and let me just say this, either he's completely changed his style up or Gibbs still has a heavy influence on what packages and plays are used and at what times.

Well, KC did have a dominant OL, and Holmes who touched the ball 400+ times a year, and Gonzalez. We dont. Cooley could probably do what Gonzalez did but since our OL isn't that good he is blocking and Portis isn't on the field enough to carry the ball 325 times and get 70+ catches while still blocking on other pass downs.

I don't see Russ Grimm or Joe Jacoby out there. I don't see Art Monk or Joe Theismann either. Gary Clark, who came later in 1985, would be the best player on this offense and he came to the Skins as the #3 receiver back in '85.

Gibbs is dealing with a talent deficit vis a vis his former clubs.

That is the fault of Gibbs the Team President and de facto GM.

The other factor, perhaps chance but perhaps not, is that a lot of Bobby Beathard's picks played in the NFL FOREVER, showing durability and consistency this club's players seem to lack:

Don Warren - 14 seasons

Monte Coleman - 16 seasons

Joe Jacoby - 13 seasons

Art Monk - 13 seasons

Darrell Green - 20 seasons

Raleigh McKenzie - 15 seasons

Mark May - 12 seasons

Charles Mann - 11 seasons

Archived