Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Weapons--Our Offense and a General Review (mod edited title)

Englands Team

I have given this some thought (honestly) and I believe that the Giants game could be the defining moment in the short to mid term of this team. The bye week allows us to evaluate our processes and procedures and maybe even our mindset. It is our mindset that is the biggest hurdle to a progress.

At quaterback we have a gifted athlete who can make some great throws with touch. okay he is raw and will make mistakes. Brett Favre is just shy of the all time records for Ints oh and Tds too. He gambles and sometimes loses, he wins plenty too and has a Superbowl ring to show for it.

The offensive line is patched up but still serviceable and is probably in the top ten of the league.

Runningback, well set. Two good quality performers.

Receivers and tight ends. Here we struggle, we have signed two veterans since the season started as we are disappointing. Thrash and lloys are not the answer. How about we mix it up a little then. Put betts at Tailback and line up Portis in the slot. It would cause confusion and give Portis running oportunites beyond the linebackers. The saints used Reggie Bush like this last year with considerable success. I am not for one second advocating converting Portis to a receiver but in some 3 wide sets it must be effective. We can alternate him with Chris Cooley I would love to see him used like the Colts use Dallas Clark. Cooleys value to this team is as a pass catcher not pass blocker, yoder is just as good if not better at that. Kennan McArdle is obviously coming in as Caldwell is not the answer he can also be very useful.

On the defensive side of the ball we have a quick and aggresive team that swarms to the ball. I have seen all three games this season, Against the Dolphins and Giants we used so much cover three with a big cushion and allowed the underneath completions. Worked against a poor Dolphins, didnt work against the Giants.

Against the Eagles we play press coverage our Dbs are outstanding and McNabb is harried into so many mistakes.

I believe that the problem this team has is not personnel, it is not talent we have all the weapons we need. We just need to use these weapons to attack the opposition. We have had three game winning situations and won two games. We must continue to attack teams until there is NO prospect of recovery.

I am hoping that the Mindset changes, risks are taken. I firmly believe that you must speculate to accumulate.

HTTR

like i told everone else 2 out of 3 is not bad it leads to 10-6 or 11-5

Dude, if you don't learn the rules right fast there's gonna be hell to pay :laugh:

I don't wanna have to talk to you again. :silly:

But seriously. ;)

Forum rule #11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures. If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

ET phone home :)

Forum rule # 8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts. Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.

Quarterback - Young up and comer who's mistakes CAN be fixed in practice (timing)

Runningback - 2 starting Tailbacks/Top 10 Fullback. No problems here as long as the right guy gets his number called

WR - Speed, Speed, Speed. Moss is Moss, hasn't really had his chance to do what he does best, BURN EM! Randle El has shown he is very capable of stepping into the No. 2 role and is excelling at it. Comes through in the clutch. After that it's a rat race, (two guys are in the woods getting chased by a bear, first guy turns to second guy and says, "you think we can outrun it" second guy says "i dont have to outrun it as long as i outrun you") 2 of these guys wont be here come December 1

TE - Set, Cooley is a top 5 TE with his capability but hasnt had his chance to show his strengths vertically because of his ability to keep Campbell on his feet in the blocking game. Yoder is an adequite backup who isnt flashy but can get the job done if his number is called.

O-Line - Looks like the dry erase board at an emergency room, but they still get the job done. Guys have stepped up well, shows what veteran leadership in the trenches can do for you.

Safeties - Best tandem in football with Prioleau backing up who is very capable of stepping up

Corners - Have shown their ability but still would like to see some more press coverage.... but maybe that's why i'm not calling the plays

Linebackers - Washington/Fletcher/Mcintosh... sounds like a Lawfirm. Backed up by Blades... Top 5 Linebacking Corp in the league.

D-Line - Looks like they are stepping up, Carter is showing flashes but isnt the totally consistant guy... I miss Mann/Manley

Sp Teams - Cartwright is averaging a mile on every kick return.. Randle El has no problem handling the ball.. Suisham looks like he might be the first consistant kicker we have had since Gibbs 1.0.

We keep hearing it, and keep saying it. This team has so many weapons. We should be unstoppable, defense should be top 5, right?

Thing is, they average 17 points a game. Against a good or bad defense, doesn't matter. Win the turnover ratio or lose it, doesn't matter. 17-20 points is where it's at apparently.

BTW, the 1983 Redskins had fewer weapons, right? They scored 27 or more in 15 of 16 regular season games. They just had the best OL in the league and a defense that averaged +3 in takeaways a game. They lost 2 games by a total of 2 points. That was Gibbs 3rd season, this is his 4th.

Archived