Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN Mock Draft

Yomar

MOCK DRAFT: ROUND 1

1 (1) Bengals Carson Palmer QB USC

Marshall's Byron Leftwich is our top-rated quarterback, but Bengals officials prefer Palmer. Of course, they might trade the pick. Palmer improved his stock more than any other senior in 2002. He always had the physical skills of a first-round quarterback, but he finally showed the mental capacity of one.

2 (2) Lions Charles Rogers WR Michigan St.

The Lions desperately need to bolster their receiving corps and should be in position to get the best of a strong receiver class. Rogers, a junior, is the complete package -- size, speed, quickness, leaping ability, hands and elusiveness.

3 (3) Texans Jordan Gross T Utah

The Texans have plenty of needs, including offensive tackle, wide receiver and defensive line. The word we are hearing is that they are looking for suitors to trade down, but if they are stuck with this pick, Gross or Miami WR Andre Johnson are the likely candidates to be taken.

4 (4) Bears Byron Leftwich QB Marshall

Bears officials would be elated if Leftwich fell to them. He lacks great mobility, but that's the only negative in his game. He has terrific size, rare arm strength and has the best passing skills of any quarterback in this class.

5 (5) Cowboys Jimmy Kennedy DT Penn State

The Cowboys could be in the market for a running back, but there isn't a top-five back in this draft. New coach Bill Parcells must rebuild the offensive line and he has also said that he's looking to beef up his defensive line. If Gross is gone, the most likely possibility is Kennedy, because he'd be a good complement to current starter LaRoi Glover. Another possibility, though, would be to trade down and select Virginia Tech's Lee Suggs or Penn State's Larry Johnson.

6 (6) Cardinals Terrell Suggs DE Arizona St.

Cardinals officials plan on drafting defense in the first round and have needs at tackle, end, outside linebacker and cornerback. Suggs is undersized, but he is the best pass rusher this class has to offer and he's immediately impact a Cardinals defense that finished near the bottom of the league in sacks.

7 (7) Vikings Terence Newman CB Kansas St.

The Vikings need help at just about every position on defense and likely will draft the best player on that side of the ball. Newman is just the guy the Vikings need to add; he has the size, speed and playmaking skills to become a shut-down cornerback in the NFL.

8 (8) Jaguars Jerome McDougle DE Miami (FL)

With Tony Brackens finished in Jacksonville, the Jaguars are void of playmakers at defensive end. McDougle finished the season strong after struggling through some early injuries. He needs to add some bulk and play with better technique against the run, but you can't teach his type of speed and explosiveness as a pass rusher.

9 (9) Panthers Andre Johnson WR Miami (FL)

Johnson is the No. 2 receiver in this draft behind Rogers and he's a perfect fit in Carolina if the Panthers choose not to draft a quarterback -- possibly Rex Grossman -- with this pick.

10 (10) Seahawks William Joseph DT Miami (FL)

Joseph's draft status has slipped a bit because he had some trouble holding his ground against the run at times as a senior, but we believe he's still worth a top ten pick. He's explosively quick and if he gets to play the 3 technique like John Randle currently plays in Seattle, Joseph has a chance to become an impact player in the NFL, because of his penetration skills.

11 (11) Ravens Kwame Harris T Stanford

Right tackle and wide receiver are the Ravens' biggest needs heading into the draft. Harris would be a good value. He is a big, physical tackle with the strength to dominate defensive ends at the point of attack in the run game. He still has room to improve in terms of his feet and pass protection ability, but he'd certainly be an upgrade over Ethan Brooks.

12 (12) Rams George Foster T Georgia

It's risky to draft Foster this high because he missed more than half of his senior season with a wrist injury sustained in an August automobile accident. But Foster still has great upside and is one of the top tackle prospects. He has terrific size and impressive mobility.

13 (13) Redskins Eric Steinbach G Iowa

Steinbach was the best offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl. He is a terrific athlete that can likely play either guard or tackle in the NFL, and while the Redskins will be looking to draft a receiver, they may not find one of value in the first round unless they trade up or down.

14 (14) Patriots E.J. Henderson ILB Maryland

(from Buffalo) Drafting a middle linebacker would allow the Patriots to move Tedy Bruschi back to the outside, where he's a better fit. Henderson, who missed spring practice following April back surgery, struggled early in his senior season but played well in November and December. Henderson is the best middle linebacker in this class.

15 (15) Chargers Kevin Williams DT Oklahoma St.

Williams increased his value as much or more than any other player at the Senior Bowl, so much so that he is now potentially a mid-first round prospect. The Chargers are looking to bolster their offensive line and defensive tackle position and Williams is the best value out of those needs.

16 (16) Chiefs Marcus Trufant CB Wash. St.

Trufant was sensational at the Senior Bowl and as a result he may have earned a mid-first round selection. He has adequate size and great speed. The Chiefs have not given up on William Bartee, but Trufant could push Eric Warfield for the starting job opposite Bartee right away.

17 (17) Saints Andre Woolfolk CB Oklahoma

Saints officials likely will take the best cornerback on the board and Woolfolk would be the best value here. He has limited experience at cornerback and still needs more coaching and time, but his upside is tremendous because of his speed and ball skills.

18 (18) Saints Gerald Hayes ILB Pitt

(from Miami) Hayes improved his draft status as much or more than any other linebacker in this class. Hayes had 100-plus tackles for a third consecutive season, but it was his improved quickness, instincts and change-of-direction skills that caught the scouts' eyes. The Saints are looking to find a replacement for Charlie Clemons, who was a disappointment. Hayes could be that guy.

19 (19) Patriots Lee Suggs RB Va. Tech

The Patriots are looking for a defensive tackle, middle linebacker, cornerback and running back. Suggs, with 238 carries for 1,255 yards as a senior, proved he has recovered from a '01 knee injury. Suggs has more quickness and is a better receiver than Antowain Smith, the Patriots' featured back in '02.

20 (20) Broncos Johnathan Sullivan DT Georgia

Sullivan recently announced his intentions to jump to the NFL. He'll be rewarded for it on draft day. Sullivan has a good combination of size, quickness and athleticism. We'd be surprised if he dropped past the first round, and the Broncos need a defensive lineman like him.

21 (21) Browns Vince Manuwai G Hawaii

The Browns' running game has improved, but upgrading their offensive line remains the top priority. Manuwai's stock has fluctuated, but he remains one of two first-round guard prospects. He has solid size and athleticism but explosive power.

22 (22) Jets Boss Bailey OLB Georgia

The Jets have a lot of hard decisions to make at linebacker, and it's likely that they will upgrade the speed on the outside. Bailey's stock has dropped a bit, but he still fits in the first round. He will wow scouts and coaches with his athleticism at the NFL Combine.

23 (23) Falcons Bryant Johnson WR Penn State

Quarterback Michael Vick needs more weapons in the passing game, and Johnson would contribute immediately. Johnson isn't the fastest receiver in this class, but he is big and physical and might have the best hands.

24 (24) Colts Tyler Brayton DE Colorado

Brayton would be a perfect fit for the Colts. Brayton played tackle and end in college, but his best fit might be at the power end position in the NFL. He has the size to hold his ground against the run and the initial quickness to penetrate off the edge -- similar to the Broncos' Trevor Pryce.

25 (25) Giants Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky

Robertson, a junior, is a two-gap defensive tackle who would upgrade the Giants run defense because he has the size and strength to hold his ground at the point of attack. The Giants are looking to make a lot of changes on their defensive line. Drafting a player like Robertson would be a good start.

26 (26) 49ers Jarret Johnson DT Alabama

Johnson is a 'tweener (end or tackle?) who is quick, powerful and tenacious. His versatility would be a huge value to the 49ers; he could play end on running downs and spell defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield on passing downs.

27 (27) Steelers Mike Doss S Ohio St.

The Steelers are looking to make a lot of changes to their defensive secondary. If a cornerback of value was left on the board, they would likely draft him, but Doss is the best available defensive back at this point on our board. Doss is the best safety in this class because of his versatility, playmaking skills and toughness in run support.

28 (28) Packers Rex Grossman QB Florida

With all the talks of Brett Favre's retirement, it wouldn't be shocking if the Packers drafted a quarterback. Grossman is a better fit in the second round, but he's the third-rated quarterback behind Leftwich and Palmer, so it wouldn't be much of a reach for a team to select him late in the first round.

29 (29) Titans Larry Johnson RB Penn State

The Titans will be looking to add skill players to their offense in this draft, specifically a No. 2 receiver and a running back to challenge Eddie George for his starting position. Johnson, the ninth player in NCAA history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season, likely will be one of the first two running backs selected, somewhere in the last half of the first round

30 (30) Raiders Kenny Peterson DE Ohio St.

One of the Raiders' few needs is at defensive end, where they have injury and age problems. Peterson had a strong senior season and continued to impress scouts at the Senior Bowl. It would not be a surprise if he wound up being drafted late in the first round.

31 (31) Raiders Taylor Jacobs WR Florida

(from Tampa Bay) With two picks in the first round, the Raiders have the luxury of drafting the best available athlete. Jacobs is a fringe first-rounder with good speed and productivity, but he has had trouble staying healthy. Plus, teams are wary of Florida receivers because of their poor track record in the NFL.

32 (32) Eagles Michael Haynes DE Penn State

The Eagles could reach for a player like Cory Redding with this pick because they have so few needs, but must address the defensive end position. Haynes may be overvalued at this point, but because there's such a premium put on pass rushing ends, don't be surprised if a team takes a chance on him this high.

It's been said that conventional NFL draft wisdom precludes taking an OG in the first round. Never knew why this was but I accepted it as common dogma and moved on. The thought would not go away so I checked around and found that although taking a guard in the first round doesn't happen often, it does happen as evidenced below.

Since the addition of Jacksonville and Carolina in 1995...

• 12 quarterbacks have been selected in the first round, 76 overall. (Rounds 1-7)

• 24 halfbacks have been drafted in the first round, 124 overall.

• No fullbacks have been drafted in the first round, 57 overall.

• 27 wide receivers have been drafted in the first round, 222 overall.

• Eight tight ends have been drafted in the first round, 95 overall.

• 28 offensive tackles have been drafted in the first round, 132 overall.

• Eight offensive guards have been picked in the first round, 117 overall.

• One center has been picked in the first round, 39 overall.

• 29 defensive ends have been picked in the first round, 159 overall.

• 17 defensive tackles have been picked in the first round, 142 overall.

• Eight inside linebackers have been picked in the first round, 85 overall.

• 17 outside linebackers have been picked in the first round, 135 overall.

• 24 cornerbacks have been picked in the first round, 176 overall.

• Nine safeties have been picked in the first round, 145 overall.

• One placekicker has been picked in the first round, 22 overall. No punters have been selected.

http://ww2.nfl.com/draft/2002/brandt_didyouknow.html

• Eight offensive guards have been picked in the first round, 117 overall.

Well without going through and checking everything, I'm going to bet that no more than 2 guards have been selected as high as 13. If we start trading down, I have no problem taking a guard in the high 20s and up. But if we take a guard as high up as we are, he better be some SUPER STUD, otherwise we're jumping the gun too soon.

I really find it hard to believe that the skins will keep the 13th pick, though its hard to tell who would be willing to trade up with them, I really beleive that the skins will be shopping this spot for extra picks. At this point the skins should be more interested in good quality players then trying to find a superstar. In my opion the skins should draft half and half between the D'lne and O'line in first 3 to 4 rounds, mainly because it is more likely that they will find starters to quality backups at these positions in these rounds. The skins should be more intent with adding a WR via free agency due to the fact that it is more likely that a FA will have a more profound effect on the offense. One thing 'll be interested in is if the Skins try to take Brooks Barnard in the later rounds. I'm not sure if any other people think he may go earlier than say the 5th round, but if he did last to that point he definelty could be a good pick up at that point.

I think it would be a tremendous reach to take Steinbach at #13. I have to believe that he'd still be there near the end of the first, so if we really want him, I'd think we'd trade down. Who else is going to take a guard, even a really good one, in the first? In this mock, it isn't until #21 when the Browns take Manuwai.

I'd be shocked if two guards are taken in the first 21 picks. I just don't believe that of the top 21 players available, two of the best are guards.

Besides, with slotting, you'd have to tie up a lot of money in your guard.

Call me crazy, but I think a lot of people are looking over Boss. I would be very satisfied if we traded down, got an extra pick or two in rounds two or three and scooped him up at the 20 spot(or thereabouts). That would solve our Free Safety problems and get David Terrell the HELL out of D.C. He's garbage and doesn't deserve to be in a Redskins uniform.

However, I can see Boss Bailey being the Donte Stallworth of 2002. His stock is going to skyrocket after he wows combiners and maybe we'll have to keep the 13th pick to grab him.

That would solve our Free Safety problems and get David Terrell the HELL out of D.C. He's garbage and doesn't deserve to be in a Redskins uniform.

Why are people so negative on DT? I mean he isnt a starting quality safety, but he did have a nice season under Marty, he has been a hell of a special teams player, and he is a good 3 or 4 cornerback. I dont want him out of DC. I'd just like him out of the starting lineup.

There is no guarantee that Boss Bailey can play free safety. Just saying it, doesn't make it so. Do you really want to waste your first round pick on a guy who you're going to ask to play a new position?

Bailey is a great LB in college. Doesn't mean he'll be a great FS in the pros.

I

Originally posted by Nighthawk

There is no guarantee that Boss Bailey can play free safety. Just saying it, doesn't make it so. Do you really want to waste your first round pick on a guy who you're going to ask to play a new position?

Bailey is a great LB in college. Doesn't mean he'll be a great FS in the pros.

I

Trust me. You aren't going to want Boss to play FS. He covers well for a LB, but im not so sure his coverage skills are what you want from your FS. Drafting Boss to move him to FS is a waste of a pick.

This strikes me as one of the better mocks I've seen so far, though to be honest I'll also be surprised to see us stay at #13 and take a guard.

It would be more of a stretch if it was so drastic a need, but you have to think there are capable guards later.

Would everyone be so high on Boss Bailey if he wasn't Champ's brother?

I'd be stunned if we went with Steinbach at No. 13. He's no where near the prospect Hutchinson was and we passed on him two years ago. Though I haven't seen enough yet to say for certain, he doesn't appear to be quite the prospect Gurode was, though Gurode had a bonus of being projected as a center as well as guard.

Steinbach, to me, has the body of a tackle. If he shows tackle skills he will fly up the charts and honestly at No. 13 it would be a splendid pick, assuming he has tackle skills, because then he'll have the type of line rating, at tackle, that will force a team to make a move for him. But, we don't need a tackle. We need a left guard and though tackle skills will help Steinbach as a left guard in our system, the fact remains that you don't draft a guard at No. 13 unless he's the best damn guard prospect in years, and we already missed that boat two years ago.

If we take a guard at #13, I'm putting out a contract on Yomar. :D

Anyone remember a guard named Tony Mandarich -- supposedly the greatest guard to be available in the draft in over a decade -- but who flopped?

This is an unusual draft year with great depth on the DL this year, with 15-20 guys who are worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick. Here is our chance to shore up our defensive line by picking a DE and DT with our first two picks.

Sign a guard or WR in free agency. :)

I'm with you Inmate. I'll even give you two packs of smokes to pay for the hit :).

My one concern with Steinbach is his tackle skills pushing him up the draft board. He could be a Petitgout type of player who has the flexibility to move around the line some and while that's valuable, it's less valuable to us since we have certain anchors in place. But, that ability may make him worthy of a No. 13 pick. Just not to a team like us who would only ever need him at guard.

I also do slightly worry about a guy five inches taller than a typical guard being right in Ramsey's throwing alley to that side. I know it's being picky, but it is a mild concern to me.

At this stage of the game I'm becoming less and less impressed with the guard prospects in this draft...at least at the top end. I think we'd be better off if we traded down in the first in exchange for a third rounder, picked the best available DL there and with our pick in the second. Then I'd attempt to use one of our two third rounders to trade up into the second to take the best available C/G there. Something like say Faine and Montrae Holland with second/third round picks plus the first two picks being Brayton/Sullivan/Robertson:drool:would look awfully good before we even get to the later rounds.

Archived