Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Car Insurance?

gbear

OKay, so I'm moving in with my fiance this weekend.

I've had Geico for 11 years, and they have had to pay for two tows of my car. I've had no tickets and no accidents. That said, I'm thinking of changing insurance because of the rate increase for moving to Baltimore.

History: I had them when I lived in Silver Spring. I moved to DC and they raised my rates becuase of their locality adjustment factors which said they pay more for cars in DC. Well, a year latter, I moved back to Silver Spring, and I had my rates raised again because of the locality adjustment. I think it's a scam.

Ah well, now I'm moving to Baltimore, and my insurance is set to rise by another $80 a month. I'll grant you that my milage to work increases, but my total for the year isn't rising much because now I'm not driving back and forth to Baltimore (now around 25k a year up from 22k a year). Of course, the increased milage to work only accounts for some of the increase. I get to pay the dreaded locality adjustment again too. Woohoo. What makes me sick is to work out that I have spent $40,000 in car insurance with Geico having to pay out a wopping $100 in tows for me over 11 years.

It just seems a little rediculous to have to pay $2,200 a year in insurance for a car that is only worth $3000-$3500 because it has 110k miles on it.

Oy so I'm looking at other insurance companies from which to go get quotes . Anybody have any that they like? I'm only interested if you have ever had a claim with the insurance company. I tend to think that's a true measure of the insurance company.

I'm using a local auto insurance group in Minnesota and I'm paying $160 a month for two cars, so that works out to about $2000 a year. If you are single and under 25 though, it's MUCH worse. I don't know if you'll find anywhere that will cover you at a reasonable amount if you are both of those. Once you 25 you start getting the "adult" discounts :).

That's a tough one man. It has a big part in where you live too. Baltimore is the crack capital of the world :). I think Progressive, as mentioned above, is good because they get you extra quotes, or they say they do, from other companies.

But, the owner of Progressive is a drug addict so you're probably paying extra for his habit :).

gbear-

There's a company in Owings Mill, Maryland called Insurance Designers. They'll find the best and least expensive car insurance for you based on what information you give them.

Their number is 410-363-7180. My dad has used them for years. Ask for Thomasina. She'll hook you up.

geof.

A couple of options.

Call Nationwide, if you want a referral email me at kilmer17_2000@yahoo.com and I will hook it up. They may have a few options for you. 1- you could get a group discount that you dont even realize you qualify for. 2- You may be able to get a married discount already. You may need to adjust your coverages (ie drop Comp and collision) Also, they may be able to adjust commute miles.

Hope that helps

Man, you guys got it tough!

I pay $1200 a year for two cars ('98 Malibu and a '97 Maxima) ... and my wife has a ticket on her record! Doesn't matter if we move locally or whether we put milage on at 12,000/year or 25,000/year.

Archived