Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Canadian Dollar at Parity with Greenback

Ancalagon the Black

Remembering a Niven/Pournelle book (Lucifer's Hammer), in which one of the characters (IIR, a geeky guy from JPL) is getting ready for the potential collapse of civilization, by buying 50 lbs of black pepper, and burying it (well packaged) in his back yard.

Seems he recalls reading that in medieval times, the price of black pepper had been fixed, by royal decree, as being equal to it's weight in gold. (Literally. It was used as currency.)

I took a Colonial Chesapeake History class my senior year at Maryland. I recall a story of a Pastor up around Frederick Co. being paid in Tobacco of a certain quality and weight. Crazy days.

Personally, I think David's Jalapeno Hot Salsa Sunflower seeds should be used at currency.

Have you seen the stories of families that try to avoid products from country (X)?

Yes. I try to avoid foreign products as much as possible myself, so I know how annoying and frustrating it can be at times.

I would understand if slowly we as a society could change to producing more for ourselves, and importing "less". But lets be realistic here. Its a world community now. We "Want" to import and export. We "Want" economic relationships with other countries.

I'm sorry but if you are an American citizen and you "Want" to import and export items and have economic relations with other countries, then you and I have very different views of Patriotism.

Our society doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to wean ourselves off of foreign products. You and I both know that.

Cutting ourselves off from the world is all well and good. When humans couldn't get into space, or fly around the planet without the need to land.

The space thing would be tough to deal with, but I'd suggest we probably have enough fighter aircraft based around the world that if they were brought home to compliment what we have here, we could put a pretty decent fighter CAP up over US Border Airspace and shoot down ANY aircraft that attempts to enter. Likewise we use the Coast Guard and Navy to intercept any ship that tries to enter US waters.

And if you dont want to import anything, good luck finding oil in 10 years, or water or energy. The price of all consumer goods would jump as much as 150% due to the increased labour costs, unless you know some neighbours who would be willing to work for 10 cents a day.

As I said, it isn't going to be easy. We might actually have to stop worrying about the caribou or sea creatures and start drilling for oil in certain places. We'd definitely have to look at other options for power as well. Maybe we'd even have to start paying more attention to doing things around where we are rather than galavanting all over the country because they don't have the money for fuel. That would be terrible, wouldn't it? We might even have to get rid of the worthless labor unions in order to start paying people what their labor is actually worth rather than what the Union can get them for it.

Woo, our dollar was above the american dollar by 0.00008 at some point!

Thats great, now were screwed when it comes to exports.

Why Canada exports things that are needed like lumber, electricity, beef oil.

As long as healthcare costs continue to rise in the Us it will still be cheaper to run a business in Canada than the US as the state provides health care.

Logical statement.

It also means the more Canadians will be vacationing in the US. Not me.... I'm dead broke for the foreseeable future :)

Noooooooooooo!!!

For some reason people from Vancouver take FOREVER to take left hand turns. Don't ask me why, they just do. Now more of them will be going 5 miles an hour in front of me waiting for some cosmic sign that it's alright to turn left when NO one is around. :doh:

I second that motion, I say we buy em and build a stadium on the Caledonia disput site, to 1) stick it to the natives again in more ways than one 2) so you me and Die Hard could all be happy!:D

Then we help Jim Balsillie buy an NHL franchise move it there also and help to stop the raping one gets when buying Leaf tickets.

Bring back the Nordiques, the Jets and the Whalers!

I grew up a Nordiques fan, it was sort of a good thing they had moved, might have never gotten Roy had they remained in Quebec.

But it was good they were there when Lindros was to be drafted, talk about a trade that builds a franchise.

Archived