Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Canadian Dollar at Parity with Greenback

Ancalagon the Black

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/20/AR2007092000281.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Canadian Dollar at Parity With Greenback

By JACKIE FARWELL

The Associated Press

Thursday, September 20, 2007; 6:11 PM

NEW YORK -- For the first time since Gerald Ford was president, the loonie can buy as much as the greenback. The U.S. dollar's recent decline against the Canadian dollar, the euro, and even the Indian rupee, means Americans will pay more for imports and trips to Paris, Rome, Bangalore and Toronto. It also may drive overseas demand for U.S. goods and help raise profits at U.S. multinational corporations.

The U.S. dollar reached 1-to-1 parity against the Canadian dollar Thursday for the first time since November 1976. That means one Canadian dollar now buys one U.S. dollar, so a bottle of maple syrup could cost an American as much in Toronto as it does in New York.

(click link above for rest of article)

By definition, the best thread in the history of Extremeskins.

We'll be shutting the site down soon.

I wouldn't otherwise be telling you this, but Art, Om and Tarhog are actually three of six horsemen of the Apocaplypse that have been awaiting just such a moment.

Enjoy your remaining time on Earth.

EDIT: Didn't see techboy's reply above. The Force is strong in that one. :)

Yeah because we all know the president has everything to do with the value of the dollar. :doh:

Jorge Bush's policies of accelerating NAFTA and shipping American jobs overseas is all part of what got us here. The administration wants a weak American dollar to entice others to play in the "One world market"

Too bad it's sending this country down the ****ter

What??? The American Dollar isn't going to buy more in Canada than it does here....

JUST ANOTHER REASON NOT TO LEAVE THE UNITED STATES so far as I'm concerned.

Logical statement.

It also means the more Canadians will be vacationing in the US. Not me.... I'm dead broke for the foreseeable future :)

Logical statement.

It also means the more Canadians will be vacationing in the US. Not me.... I'm dead broke for the foreseeable future :)

Right now, retail around the Canadian border (on the American side) is going crazy. Canadians coming over just to shop, then going home.

I guess its time to go on a shopping spree in new york and not declare anything at the border. :laugh:

Make sure you buy US dollars in Canada first. I went to Buffalo yesterday and some stores still had posted exchange rates as high as 20%. The average seemed to be about 10%.

I'm thinking of opening an US dollar acount if the loonie hits 1.05 or higher.

Most likely in a few years it will drop back to 90 cents which would equal a nice 15% return.

No. This is why there should be no imports or exports to or from the United States. That includes American dollars being sent outside the US, so far as I'm concerned.

Lighten up, Francis.

No Imports or Exports?

Take a look at what you're wearing right now, or what you used to get ready this morning. If you say that everything that goes into that process is made in the USA. You're lying.

Lighten up, Francis.

No Imports or Exports?

Take a look at what you're wearing right now, or what you used to get ready this morning. If you say that everything that goes into that process is made in the USA. You're lying.

I won't even try to say that it is, which is a problem for me. Yes, it would mean some tough times for Americans for quite a while at the beginning, but I believe it would be in the best financial and moral interests of this country to become isolationist.

Just another example of Bush's ****ed up economic policies

Sarge, his economics do have something to do with it, but the main reason the Canadian dollar is so strong is because of high commodity prices like oil.

Had there been no war in Iraq, oil prices would not be as high.

Check out this article

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070920.wdecloetdollar0920/GIStory/

Have you seen the stories of families that try to avoid products from country (X)?

I would understand if slowly we as a society could change to producing more for ourselves, and importing "less". But lets be realistic here. Its a world community now. We "Want" to import and export. We "Want" economic relationships with other countries.

Cutting ourselves off from the world is all well and good. When humans couldn't get into space, or fly around the planet without the need to land.

This is why we should be paying with "Spices", "Sugar", and "Tobacco".....and make it 1500 all over again. :)

Remembering a Niven/Pournelle book (Lucifer's Hammer), in which one of the characters (IIR, a geeky guy from JPL) is getting ready for the potential collapse of civilization, by buying 50 lbs of black pepper, and burying it (well packaged) in his back yard.

Seems he recalls reading that in medieval times, the price of black pepper had been fixed, by royal decree, as being equal to it's weight in gold. (Literally. It was used as currency.)

I won't even try to say that it is, which is a problem for me. Yes, it would mean some tough times for Americans for quite a while at the beginning, but I believe it would be in the best financial and moral interests of this country to become isolationist.

I'm sorry, but I just have to point out that the most "patriotic" Americans, think the best thing for the country is to turn it into a communist state, but dont even realize they are saying it.

And if you dont want to import anything, good luck finding oil in 10 years, or water or energy. The price of all consumer goods would jump as much as 150% due to the increased labour costs, unless you know some neighbours who would be willing to work for 10 cents a day.

Archived