Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Turnovers - Is this a year-long problem?

skinsfanno9

Yes, the Redskins defense looks VASTLY improved over last year. I love it! :applause:

But, um, ya know, most good defenses occasionally get fumble recoveries and INTs. Some even do this frequently.

Why are turnovers important you ask? (I say this due to so many comments stating that we don't really need them, nor does Williams want them, which I don't believe):

1. Stops the other team from racking up yards and scores

2. Our offense no longer has to "go the distance" each and every drive

3. They demoralize the opponent.

Truly, we REALLY need to win the turnover battle if we expect a legit playoff run. Like 78% of playoff teams have a positive take-away ratio. While I see effort here, we seem to be dropping 2 INTs per game, and aren't getting enough fumble opportunities.

So, is this gonna change any time soon? If not, I think our playoff chances will be dim. We'll have to come up huge on 3rd downs each and every game in order to win.

I think the Eagles got away with that overturned fumble call. To me, that ball was easily loose before his knee was on the ground. That would have given us 2 turnovers in as many weeks. Not a bad start. But one in two games isn't too bad. Just think if our defense is winning games without turnovers, what could we do when we finally get them.

well i think the biggest reason is because our pass rush still is pretty weak even though our defense is playing better. Also we have dropped a few (cough cough) smoot. hopefully they will come.

Agreed, without constant pressure, the opportunities for error are lower. But we did seem lots better this week over the Miami game. At least sometimes McNabb really was pressured, whereas Green had all weekend to throw.

actually our pass rush is looking good. And we've had two dropped almost certain INT's. Landry dropped and and Smoot dropped one (I seem to remember Fletcher dropping one too but I'm not sure).

So the opportunities have been there, now it's just a matter of taking advantage of them. As this team continues to gel and improve, the turnovers will come more frequently.

Yeah we were robbed on that fumble! ROBBED!

The turnovers will come. The sacks are coming now.

Just wait a little longer.

For much of the first half, I was wondering whether Smoot was coaching up the receivers on how to catch!

Hopefully they will be coming, but I would REALLY like to see a game where we win the ratio. Perhaps with the Giants even...

McNabb and Green may not be as good as they used to be but they're still both veteran QB's and with how well our coverage was the last two weeks both of them didn't take any chances and so our DB's didn't really have a shot at ints (except of course Smooty). As for fumbles. I believe luck plays more of a roll into them than anything. I am not worried about our turnovers forced as long as our offence doesn't start giving it away 3 times a game.

setting aside my personal bias for the skins, i thought the refs made the right call on the Philly fumble.

while i have been impressed with the D's overall play thus far, their lack of turnovers concerns me for the long haul. Fumbles are pretty much a crapshoot as you never really know how the ball will bounce, but this teams inability to get INT's (especially when we drop so many) is disturbing. INT's can be huge momentum swings and we just don't take advantage.

i would like to say that the turnovers will come in due time, but we've said that all season for the past two seasons. its a problem that i hope is corrected in the immediate future.

The pass rush is definitely a big part of it. You don't force a QB into a bad throw if you can't get to him. I don't understand why our entire secondary can't catch. Landry had one go right through his hands last night. That 2 drops in 2 games, and who knows how many we had last year. I think these guys have some kind of mental block when it comes to catching.

a lot of INTs happen in the short passing game in which we're looking more to contain and not let a guy slip by.. you always have your long bomb INTs too, but they haven't really gone long against us to give us that jumpball availability

right now I'm not too concerned since our defense is less aggressive and they're not always set to be in that type of position, though I wouldn't mind seeing an LB jump up and snag or smack away a couple

i would like to say that the turnovers will come in due time, but we've said that all season for the past two seasons. its a problem that i hope is corrected in the immediate future.

Vernon Fox, INT to open the victory over Carolina. (I will admit I was in the stadium and said, "wtf, we cant do that!")

Sean Taylor, INT to seal the deal over Carolina.

Carlos Rogers, INT to seal the deal against the "#1 Saints offense" which proved almost completely inept against our 32nd Defense despite the best efforts of the announcers.

Other than that, all I've got for you is that Smooter is embarassed and determined to catch the next one.

could you imagine the momentem the defense would give our offense if they were picking passes off or forcing fumbles...not only that but the momentem the defense would give the defense the next time they are on the field to do it again!...all in all we would have one confident dominant team

*edit* btw sippin on the crown royal tonight so excuse my spelling :D

Archived