Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running Game: Lead Blocker vs. Ace Backfield

PF Chang

Greetings, fans of a 2-0 team:

In watching our Redskins pick apart the hated Eagles last night, I did get one feeling about the running game. I cringed when we attempted to run the stretch play (or any play with a single back in the backfield) and sat confidently when 280 lb. #45 was in the backfield as a lead blocker.

Against the Philly defense, which is generally faster than it is strong, it seemed to me most of our successful runs came with a lead blocker. Does anyone have a breakdown of our rushing totals by play type? I know there are some film guys out there. Heading to class now and probably won't be back until 5:30 or so. I know, light day on Tuesday. Gotta live it up for these four years. :)

Disclaimer: I expect a "hey, just enjoy the win" response. Trust me, I'm enjoying it. I live in Pennsylvania and go to school here. Not to mention your typical overconfident Eagles fan friend owes me dinner. :cool:

I like the strech play becuase it really wears down the defensive line (especially the tackles, recall the Jags game last year). Like you, however, I sometimes get frustrated with it becuase it seems pointless to run it when we are having such sucsess going up the middle. Then again I am not a football coach so what do I know.

the main reason we had trouble with the stretch was because Thomas Went down. When Thomas Went down, that really hurt our ability to "stretch" and get positive yards.

Ah. This is true...didn't really consider this. I guess we will see come Week 3 how this affects the game plan.

Archived