Traffic ticket question

swisha

Brown or Taylor  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Brown or Taylor

• Brown vs Colts
    • Taylor vs Jags
    • Don't Know

Unfortunately, I was pulled over driving 77 MPH on a 65 limit. The fine is $60 plus the $51 processing fee. Does anyone know if there is a way I can void this processing fee? Perhaps going to the court, or city hall to pay for the fine? Thank you.

Definitely go to court. If it's your first or maybe second ticket they'll let you take the driver improvement class to have your charge dropped.

That processing fee is pretty high, and I'm not sure it'll be dropped. At least your insurance won't go up and you won't get any points on your record if you take that class.

Definitely go to court. If it's your first or maybe second ticket they'll let you take the driver improvement class to have your charge dropped.

That processing fee is pretty high, and I'm not sure it'll be dropped. At least your insurance won't go up and you won't get any points on your record if you take that class.

Right, but do NOT plead guilty, then ask for the driver improvment course, i did this when i was about 19, then asked for the course, the judge chuckled and said, you should of not plead gilty first son, there is nothing i can do now

Im such a bonehead sometimes lol :laugh:

Thanks guys, but I am talking about prepayment (pleading guilty). I am going to pay the fine. If I mail them the check or pay by credit card, there's a $50 processing fee. I was just wondering if I could eliminate the processing fee by say, going directly to city hall or the court and pay the fee there. I don't really know why the processing fee is so high.

Wait a second! Was the ticket issued in VA? If so, how on earth do you not get hit with the $1,000 fine? If this was issued in VA and all you were fined was $111 all together I would count my blessings and pay the fines. You never know, the judge could impose the full penalty if you go to court and from I have read that can be some where in the ball park of $3,000.

Wait a second! Was the ticket issued in VA? If so, how on earth do you not get hit with the $1,000 fine. If this was issued in VA and all you were fined was $111 all together I would count my blessings and pay the fines. You never know, the judge could impose the full pealty and from I have read that can be some where in the ball park of $3,000.

That's for going 20 mph over the limit. Wreckless driving.

Thanks guys, but I am talking about prepayment (pleading guilty). I am going to pay the fine. If I mail them the check or pay by credit card, there's a $50 processing fee. I was just wondering if I could eliminate the processing fee by say, going directly to city hall or the court and pay the fee there. I don't really know why the processing fee is so high.

I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no way to get out of the processing fee. It's straight $$$ for the city/county. Now, as far as prepayment, that's a bad idea. That means this speeding ticket WILL be on your driving record for along time (5 years at least) PLUS you will definitely be getting points added to your record. Points = your insurance cost goes up.

Now, the previous guy said he pled guilty and was unable to take the class. I guess this depends on the judge and city/county you got the ticket, because I got a ticket in May in Christiansburg, VA...pled guilty...and they offered me the class (classes are usually $50 or so) right there. Of course that's because I had no other previous traffic violations. By November if I don't have anymore tickets this is completely dropped from my record like it never happened.

You lose 8 hours on a Saturday taking the class, but to me that's worth having a clean driving record.

I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no way to get out of the processing fee. It's straight $$$ for the city/county. Now, as far as prepayment, that's a bad idea. That means this speeding ticket WILL be on your driving record for along time (5 years at least) PLUS you will definitely be getting points added to your record. Points = your insurance cost goes up.

Now, the previous guy said he pled guilty and was unable to take the class. I guess this depends on the judge and city/county you got the ticket, because I got a ticket in May in Christiansburg, VA...pled guilty...and they offered me the class (classes are usually $50 or so) right there. Of course that's because I had no other previous traffic violations. By November if I don't have anymore tickets this is completely dropped from my record like it never happened.

You lose 8 hours on a Saturday taking the class, but to me that's worth having a clean driving record.

Thanks for the advice, Novus. But this isn't my first nor second ticket, although my last one was a few years ago. I'm afraid it won't work out and I will have to pay the court fee also.

I will definitely take the driving class regardless though.

http://www.fallschurchva.gov/safety/police/tickets.html

Tickets

If you violate state or local traffic laws in the City,you have several options. If you wish to please guilty, waive your right to trial and pay the applicable prepayable fine(s) prior to trial, thereby avoid having to appear in court, you must follow all directions provided on your ticket or summons.

If you wish to request a trial for a parking ticket or moving violation, all cases where there is a finding of guilt, whether prepaid or paid after a trial was held, are subject to a $56.00 processing fee in addition to the fine. These fees are assesses pursuant to Virginia Code §16.1-69.48:1 and §17.1-281 and are paid to the Clerk of the Court. However, if all charges are dismissed or not processed, no processing fees are assessed.

If you fail to pay your fines and costs in a timely manner, your privilege to operate a motor vehicle may be suspended until paid.

Payments may not be made to the Treasurer's Office after a hearing has been scheduled.

For more information regarding scheduling a hearing or prepaying a summons, please visit the Clerk of the Court's site.

I would call the clerks office to be sure, but the way I read it if you pay the initial fine than there is no way around it.

Good Luck though.

home-price-39.gif

So you save 10 bucks ? Big deal.

On a side note - Stop speeding and getting stupid tickets. Your insurance will go down in a few years, but if you keep racking up tickets it won't be as much as most people experience.

Save $10 on what? The processing fee? The class will not void the processing fee. I may take Novus advice and take the class and see if the judge can dismiss this fine for me. If not, I still get the points removal from the class.

Thanks for everything, guys.

Save $10 on what? The processing fee? The class will not void the processing fee. I may take Novus advice and take the class and see if the judge can dismiss this fine for me. If not, I still get the points removal from the class.

Thanks for everything, guys.

So after reading his post, and comparing what you have stated...

You spend 40 bucks more, and still have to pay the fee.

Points wont matter in a few years if you stop getting the stupid tickets.

Not to mention it will likely still be on your driving record. I got a buddy that is a police officer, maybe I will call him later to see what he knows/thinks.

Dismissing the cost, doesn't dismiss the violation.

So after reading his post, and comparing what you have stated...

You spend 40 bucks more, and still have to pay the fee.

Points wont matter in a few years if you stop getting the stupid tickets.

Not to mention it will likely still be on your driving record. I got a buddy that is a police officer, maybe I will call him later to see what he knows/thinks.

Dismissing the cost, doesn't dismiss the violation.

Kosher Ham, I don't know why you're getting offensive, but, initially, I thought the processing fee could be bypassed if I paid in person (because I thought the fee was for the process of mailing it in and running it through). However, Novus brought up a very good point. So I want to explore another option to deduct points from my record by taking the driving class (and maybe leniency from the jugde). Yes, the points will go down in a few years, but if I take the class down, it will go down instantly. And I wouldn't mind spending an extra $40 for that. Thanks for the advice anyway.

I had 1 point left on my license out of 12 a year and a half ago, don't ask for my advice.

I just payed the fines, and I don't speed any more.

My points will come back eventually.

the processing fee is the court fee, you have to pay that regardless...

Archived