Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extremeskins and the Physics of Time

Burgold

Have you ever noticed that time operates on a different curve here in Extremeskins? I feel this odd compression of time whenever there is something in the offing. Take the Lewis issue, I have read many posts that fret that this needs to be resolved now because it is becoming a distraction this offseason and may already be disatrous to our plans. Then, I hear it and read so many articles about will he or won't he that I too start to feel frustration over the incredible ammount of time this is taking (also, thinking about the Jansen resigning issue which seemed to drag on forever, but was done well in advance of the actual free agency date). If, however, I use a different lens, say a calendar, I see that the NFL season is not yet evem over and the man interviewed just about a week ago. The time dialation makes it feel so much longer. True, next week is an important scouting one and it's good to know the D coordinator's opinion of team focus and need and what qualities a player should have to meet that need, but that's a side point. The time dialation does have its positives. The instantaneous appearance of news from around the world regardless of cite. The voluminous analysis on any issue within moments of a querry. The brilliant defense that arises for either Redskin fan or the Redskins, that would make any Minuteman feel like a slacker. Time moves oddly in here. I guess that's why it's extreme. Don't know why I posted this.

Time...............does..................seem.................to..................go.................slow

...................around.............here..............sometimes.................especially........in........the.

.................offseason...................... :silly:

I agree with both of you. :cheers:

Burgold,

One thing to consider is that the Lewis watch has been going on for more than a week. It's been going on for a year. It's been really going on for a month starting with the Michigan State job. Lewis has been rumored to be gone. Then back. Then gone. Then back. Then gone again. While it's true the Cincy thing has only been going on for 10 days or so, this has a much longer feel to it than that in my view.

True enough, Art, but this is only one of many time dialations/compressions on this board. Whether we're talking about the time it takes to pick draft picks or negotiate with free agents our sence of immediacy of wanting resolution and knowledge or thinking that nothing is happening because real life events rarely happen at an internet pace, I find interesting. Moreso, because while aware of it I certainly sucumb to the impatience. Some of it is reasonable of course, but some of our frustration and occassionally the tone of near hysteria is simply because this is such a great and active community. Everybody asking questions and ferreting out facts and worrying over every nuance leads to this distortion of time.

You're right when suggesting the Lewis concern began in earnest with Michigan State, but may have even the search for the next DC really began within days of his signing here. So, his case is probably one of the weaker ones in regards to the way time perception becomes odd. I know that this place makes me put things on a different schedule as per the timeliness of things. Still, at least this is one of the times where we can look at the FO and know they have a plan.

Archived