Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marvin close??

B&G

I'm certainly on the fence with the Lewis thing. Maybe it wouldn't be all that bad if he left and we promoted from within. The Skins may run a modified version of Lewis' scheme with a little more flexibility to use the talents of our best players (Lavar and Champ).

Here's my question. If Lewis is hired by Cincinnati, is there any chance he takes some assistant coaches with him? I can't remember how much if any input Lewis had on the hiring of the defensive assistant coaches here in Washington when he was hired. The speculation is we'll promote from within but can we stop anyone from moving to Cincinnati with Lewis?

Bufford,

On Arrington, let me ask you a question.

Lavar had more tackles than last year. He had more sacks by a huge number than last year. Do you think he was better this year than last? And, more importantly, do you think he made a bigger impact on the games this year or last?

To me, it's no contest. Lavar was a terminator last year. Teams were afraid of him. He was allowed to run to the ball. Teams would avoid certain runs because of his speed and ability to slam a hole shut. On the line of scrimmage teams weren't afraid of him. They could pick on him. Or, worse, they could run the other way knowing he's engaged with a lineman and unable to pursue.

To me, Lavar didn't do pretty well this year. To me, he got through it, and his talent alone got him in the Pro Bowl, but his impact seemed so diminished in my view. Champ had a great year and a much better one than last, but, Champ was certainly on his game most of this year.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

I suppose he could take someone as his DC or OC, but we could block any coach from making a lateral move.

Lewis won't hire a DC. A DC would be an obstacle between the defense and the pure wisdom of Lewis's mind.

$5 says Lewis is his own DC. (Note: this entire forum does not get to collect $5 if I'm wrong. :))

Originally posted by Art

To me, Lavar didn't do pretty well this year. To me, he got through it, and his talent alone got him in the Pro Bowl, but his impact seemed so diminished in my view.

Art, game-winning sack against St. Louis? Fumble recovery in the endzone against Dallas? Those are big plays if you ask me. I can see where teams were more afraid of him last year, but he still made some HUGE, game-impacting plays this year as well.

I agree Art. My point above was that Lavar is being mis-used in Lewis' system. Sure his numbers were great, but as Art stated, the impact plays and his ability to react were greatly limited this year. Granted he had a couple of big impact plays this year, but not as many as last year. Look what he did agains Carolina. Remember the hit that flattened Emmit last year. There was certainly more excitement and ferocity in Lavar last year.

As far as Champ is concerned, Lewis didn't free up Champ until most of the season was over. He stuck to the cover two zone with Champ on one side of the field. Lewis did adapt, but I'm wondering if a modified version of his defense with a DC with more a little more flexibility than Lewis may prove to be the right move for the entire defense, including Champ and Lavar.

The sack against St. Louis was beautiful. No doubt about it. The fumble recovery against Dallas was also nice. I'm not saying Lavar didn't make a handful of big plays. I'm saying he seemed to be a lesser impact on each game this year as compared to last.

Redskin56,

I think you are right. In the first eight games Champ Bailey had eight passes defensed. He was in position, based on how we were playing a great number of our plays, to just get his hands on eight balls. In the final eight games he had 16 passes defensed. I think that number is low because Bailey was all over the ball as the year wore on.

That's a sign of how he was used. As Lewis started trusting Bailey more in man, Bailey's impact grew this year. I think that's fairly clear.

Archived