Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patriots falling apart before the season begins?

pjfootballer

Came across this article from Don Banks. Didn't know the Pat have so many problems. Now Belichick is fighting with Brad Childress over a TE. Here is the link and part of the article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/09/04/snap.judgments/index.html

"We're not ready to call and put the kibosh on the Super Bowl parade planned for downtown Boston just yet, but by anyone's estimation it was a tough weekend for the Team That Cannot Lose This Season.

Even before they've played a game, the Patriots, my Super Bowl pick since May, find themselves dealing with a couple of big losses. Their best defensive player, lineman Richard Seymour, is on the physically unable to perform list for six weeks with a surgically repaired knee that some fear may plague him all season. Their secondary's emotional leader, safety Rodney Harrison, has been humbled and placed on the shelf for four games after being suspended by the league for reportedly using human growth hormone. (More on both of those issues later).

New England also has a starting cornerback who just reported a week ago (Asante Samuel), a deep-threat receiver who missed all of August with a tender hammy (Randy Moss), and just two of their nine-man draft class on their final 53-man roster (first-round defensive back Brandon Meriweather and fourth-round defensive lineman Kareem Brown). Neither look particularly likely to make much of an early impact. Oh, and by the way, the Patriots cut their leading receiver from last season, Reche Caldwell.

It has been a newsy and unsettling few days in Foxboro for the presumed 2007 front-runner. But that's why the NFL is so intriguing. The league consistently finds a way to make us reconfigure our perceptions, sometimes rendering them hopelessly out of date even before they're tested for accuracy on the field.

At the moment, we're forced to admit the Patriots don't appear quite the juggernaut they did just a few days ago. The good news is that we're already on the clock, and the season has, in essence, begun. Everything from here on in counts, and perceptions will soon give way to reality. The story of the 2007 Patriots, and every other NFL team, is about to unfold."

They were banged up worse than this in their first SuperBowl run. I remember this because I was at the game where they lost to the Skins - I think they were missing their whole secondary and then some, in that game. That being said, that ended up being the last game they would lose that year.

Reasons why the Pats will make the playoffs:

1. They have Brady

2. They have Brady

3. They have Brady

4. They have Brady

Fixed it for you.

If they lose Brady for any significant length of time, then they'll need to circle the wagons. Unless that happens (and, as with Favre and Manning, it never does), they'll be just fine.

They were banged up worse than this in their first SuperBowl run. I remember this because I was at the game where they lost to the Skins - I think they were missing their whole secondary and then some, in that game. That being said, that ended up being the last game they would lose that year.

Yep, they were missing something like 10 starters when we played them.

Reasons why the Pats will make the playoffs:

1. They're too well-coached

2. They have too much depth

3. They have Brady

4. They're in the AFC East, which means a 9-7 record could conceivably win them the division

I dont think they are in the AFC east. East is the steelers, ravens, bengals, browns. I think its AFC North.

SonnyJ nailed it. Its Brady first through 10th. Don't believe me, go research what a genius Belicheck was his first 6 years in the league, or when Brady isn't his qb.

14 games under .500. Brady makes that team go. If he gets hurt, they wouldn't win 5 games this year.

Oh, they're still a legit team for the SB, but all through Preseason the media has been making them out to be the perfect machine that won't be able to be stopped because of Moss, Stallworth and A. Thomas. Actually, Seymour is a big key up front for them. That might be the area you can exploit.

Archived