Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about the OL depth

Joncevensen

Our starting five OL as a group is one of the best in the NFL.

These five men allows our offense to do whatever it wants to do from Saunders playbook.

Behind the five of Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen.

Is this...

Heyer - Rookie, good project, deserves his spot, but I don't want him on the field in the regular season as the LT if Samuels aggravates his injury. Campbell nearly got knocked onto IR when he was in. But I'm not very concerned of Heyer because...

Wade - Solid third tackle. Enough said

Pucillo - Interior Line back up, makes sense.

But...

Fabini, where does he fit in? He couldn't beat out an undrafted rookie to fill in for Samuels during preseason. That makes him the fifth tackle in the coaches eyes. He isn't very strong at guard, or else the Kendall trade wouldn't have been necessary. So...for a ninth OL spot, why are we using a ten year veteran instead of a young project?

I have to agree with you. Oline, IMHO, has been the biggest disappointment as far as replacing through the draft. Besides Heyer, the skins haven't been able to draft an Oline player, especially an interior lineman, which people say are typically easier to find in the lower rounds.

Fabini found it difficult to get time on a very average line in Dallas last year and was cut by the Cowboys early in the offseason. Yes, he was linked to Parcells from his Jets days, but the Cowboys let him go because at 33 he was slowing down considerably. If he could still play at a solid level he would still be there.

I think this is a case of not having someone better immediately available, he is there by default.

In addition to WR, it will be interesting to see if the Redskins pick up a veteran backup for the OL.

I don't understand the concern here. Fabini is a last resort that I don't believe will come in to play. Heyer is better than you think and obviously Wade and Pooch can hold their own. I'm not the least concerned about our depth at O line this year, maybe that's me but you'd be hard pressed to make a case that we're thin at O-line. :2cents:

if Fabini had a decent camp I might agree with you, but by all accounts he was pretty rough.

yes, Heyer is out at tackle with Wade backing up Samuels and Jansen.

but that doesn't fully answer the question inside as Pucillo is the only other player we have.

it is unusual for a team not to have 4 guards on the roster.

Fabini has not shown he is really up to being counted in that group.

yes, Heyer is out at tackle with Wade backing up Samuels and Jansen.

How do you figure bulldog? How is Heyer "out" at LT? I don't think Wade has the feet to play the left side. Maybe he does (but not from what I could tell), but I feel just as comfortable putting Heyer at LT as I do Wade at LT. Wade is a Right Tackle. Don't go asking that guy to start changin' his stripes. Apparently he does one thing well and one thing only...he plays Right Tackle :laugh:

I don't understand the concern here.

The main concern I see is that, outside of Pucillo, we have no one else who is backing up at guard and center. Heyer, Wade and Fabini are all career tackles.

I have to think that Gibbs is scanning the waiver wire for guys and that Fabini is only a placeholder.

Jason

The main concern I see is that, outside of Pucillo, we have no one else who is backing up at guard and center. Heyer, Wade and Fabini are all career tackles.

I have to think that Gibbs is scanning the waiver wire for guys and that Fabini is only a placeholder.

Jason

I agree and hope that you are correct.

Archived