Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Front Office Follies: Flemister has new deal, Thompson waiting for call

OK, I realize it's a long offseason. Possibly the Redskin strategy is to let the market prove to Derrius Thompson that no one wants to offer him much. But it's still disturbing to me that Zeron "Teflon" Flemister has a new multi-year contract, and Thompson's agent says he doesn't even know if the Redskins want Thompson back.

The source for this is the always-suspect Washington Times, but this time it's a direct quote. I believe the Times has not yet stooped to making up direct quotes with on-the-record attribution. Here it is:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20030104-22372460.htm

Agent Vann McElroy, contacted yesterday, wasn't sure about the Redskins' intentions but hoped a deal could be worked out before the market opens.

"I am hopeful to have discussions with the Redskins," McElroy said. "Derrius likes playing there, and we think it's a good place for him. But certainly there is a market for him, and seeing the other free agents out there, that market should only continue to emerge."

To me, it's a no-brainer to offer Derrius a nice three or four-year modest contract with modest signing bonus. If he rejects the offer, fine: he can test free agency and the team can explore other options, and both sides can talk again later. But why not extend at least a basic offer -- especially before free-agency opens?

Sure it would be nice to get somebody like Peerless Price. But that's not a given, and Derrius should be affordable. Let's get the basics done now and get guys like Derrius Thompson, Tre Johnson, Powell, and Wuerffel signed. They're all bargains. Obviously the top priority is re-signing Daryl Gardener, but that top priority shouldn't stop the team from scooping up the obvious bargains, before some other team gets a hard-on suddenly for a guy who would probably re-sign cheap, now.

Why the FO has yet to settle up with Gardner is beyond me. After leeking the potential Wilkenson release and the inevitable decline of Bruce Smith you would think his value to this organization would be unmeasurable. Obviously his back issues give rise for some concern but the prospect of going with Powell, Cowsette, and Wynn should motivate someone in the FO to action.

Hopefully there is something more going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

Originally posted by Whiskeypeet

Why the FO has yet to settle up with Gardner is beyond me.

Well, the team is definitely negotiating with Gardener and has signaled that they intend to re-sign him. They are apparently far apart on money, though Gardener promises he'll return. If he's asking $10M/year, I do understand why there's not a deal yet. I'm not too worried yet about that situation, mainly because Gardener says he wants to return.

But these other guys -- Thompson, Powell, Tre Johnson, Wuerffel -- should be cheap to sign. At least make an offer. Don't wait until free agency opens, because you never know what team might be lying in wait, willing to make a significant offer.

Let me add a bit to explain my frustration. Guys like Art and I are arguing pleasantly about the exact strategy the Skins should pursue during the offseason in terms of acquisitions and the draft: Art favors drafting for the DL, while I favor drafting for the interior OL and safety (and addressing the DL via free agency). But these arguments absolutely depend on the Skins not *losing* ground by losing our bargain free agents.

Thompson may not be an all-pro WR, but I guarantee you that *no* WR drafted in 2003 will outperform what Thompson gave us in 2002. I'm sure guys like Charlie Rogers and Roy Williams will develop into fine NFL WRs, but it will take them a couple of years to hit peak production. Thompson did very well for us last year, and was doing better later in the year until his disappointing final game.

So losing a guy like Thompson (or Tre Johnson, Powell, Wuerffel) has *at least* the immediate, short-term impact of the Skins losing a #1 pick. If they blow it on these bargain guys, the 2003 draft will be about trying to restore the team to the same level as the 7-9 2002 team.

Get these guys signed -- or at least make them an offer. I'm not suggesting that we overpay, but I will go ballistic if we lose even one of these guys because the team didn't bother making an offer, and opened the door to another team stealing the player.

Originally posted by ASF

I'm not too worried yet about that situation, mainly because Gardener says he wants to return.

I wish I shared your optimism here. Its nice that DG is saying all of the right things but I have a feeling the $$'s will rule the day with him.....and as you said his asking price may be the only delay here. Unfortunately if he does not get signed we are looking at a D-line with little talent. For that reason I remain more concerned with his signing than our other players.

You do make a good point. We should be extending offers to these bargain players now rather than later. I may be a bit jaded with our FO. I simply have no confidence in it.

I have been a critic of the Redskins front office and coaching staff when I feel they have failed the team, as most of you are aware :)

However, I have seen nothing in their strategy to this point you can really take them to task for.

The most important move was to resign Jansen, who at age 26, and with 64 straight starts, would have been a hot commodity in the free agent marketplace at RT.

I was a little apprehensive in November when it appeared a deal might not get done, but in Decemer they DID get a deal done :)

Signing Gardener is the next priority, but is not necessarily going to be an easy signing because of the injury factor and how the deal is going to be structured.

So, it is not surprising that the Skins are getting deals done with some lesser lights like Flemister, who signed a contract for little guaranteed money.

That signing however, does not mean the FO is not working on other things as well.

In Thompson's case, I can see where the FO is reluctant to offer him a long-term contract. He had 50 catches for 750 yards, which is decent production. The question is whether Thompson is asking the Redskins for a contracting befitting a player who caught 80 passes for 1,200 yards? :)

And if the Redskins are planning on using the #13 pick on a WR or acquiring a major free agent, with Gardner and McCants already on board as younger players, should the team resign Thompson to a bigger contract to sit on the bench?

That all has to be taken into consideration.

Not EVERY player we have that is a potential free agent is necessarily worth resigning, depending on the strategy the team is going to use in the offseason.

If the team is NOT going to go after a prime wideout in the draft or free agency, then I would agree that resigning Thompson would be a priority.

I think Spurrier believes he needs to upgrade at WR, upgrade not only the speed and playmaking ability but also the consistency factor.

Thompson dropped a lot of balls to go with those 50 catches and fumbled a couple of times as well at inopportune times.

Spurrier may feel that Gardner is already a better player than Derrius and McCants he may feel has a larger upside as a developmental player.

You add a prime free agent or high draft pick and Thompson is the odd man out.

Daryl Gardener will not be a "bargain" free agent, so give up on that.

As far as thompson, sure I'd like him back, but if we are really going to go with price I'm not sure we need the cap hit.

You say a modest offfer what is that? a $4 mil bonus over 4 years? I think that's what thompson may be thinking right now. If you think we can get him to sign anything close to the deal we gave flemister you're :high: .

So, to sum up, Thompson may bet a real bid on the open market. If he does, I think we let him go. While it would be nice to lock up the youth, he's not that young. Especially if we land price, thompson may have to go to make room. I can live with that.

That said I hope he comes here for something less than modest because steve finnally put him on the field, but if it comes down to peerless or thompson.... I'm not going to cry over thompson's departure.

So to sum up, no one here realy knows what thompson might sign, what he might be looking for. If he's going to get a little $$$ it might be better if it did not come from us.

-DB

Originally posted by bulldog

Spurrier may feel that Gardner is already a better player than Derrius and McCants he may feel has a larger upside as a developmental player.

You add a prime free agent or high draft pick and Thompson is the odd man out.

This only makes sense if you assume Thompson won't sign for minimum dollars. Even if you are projecting Thompson as the #4 (or #5) receiver, you still need that receiver. Make an offer. If Thompson rejects it, that's his decision. Why not just put the ball in Thompson's court? Are you telling me that you *know* the Skins can get a better receiver, cheaper, than Thompson, to play at #4 or #5? Until it's established that Thompson won't sign for cheap, that's just an untested assumption.

By the way, we didn't have to be in this situation with Thompson. Back in the preseason, when there were 10 receivers competing for 6 spots, I suggested making Thompson and the others "an offer they couldn't refuse" -- i.e., a multi-year contract at minimum dollars. Before these guys knew they were even going to make the team, they were at a very weak negotiating position. By awarding a roster spot to Thompson without getting a contract extension in return, the Skins handed control of the negotiating table to Thompson.

Football can be complicated, but negotiations don't have to be. When you've got the strong hand, you play it.

I don't see any reason why we shouldn't at least make an offer to Thompson ASAP, at least to see what he's looking for. As for DG, I remember Kenard Lang saying all the right things last year too, but he left pretty early in free agency. I like to believe guys when they say stuff like this, but until it's on paper, it's pretty meaningless.

you have to give Spurrier a chance to evaluate his players. how was he supposed to know in July or August what each younger player would do in November and December? :)

there were currents of thought that given Jansen's demonstrated performance over several years and Bailey's as well that new deals for these players could have gotten done.

let's face it, though. If we bring in a prime free agent or #13 pick to team with Gardner and we have McCants and Russell on the bench as younger guys to grow with you aren't going to miss Thompson very much.

Even though we may be jittery and nervous over losing players after all the guys we have seen move on in recent years and be productive elsewhere, I don't think right now that it is time to push the panic button on Thompson.

Is there a chance that Thompson could leave here and become a Thrash type player elsewhere? Yes...............

But let's remember that Thrash is not a pro bowl player and not among the guys you would pick from across the NFC if you were starting a team to play WR for you.

These are mid-tier players and ARE replaceable.

If the Skins get a genuine producer like Price or a top draft pick you won't miss Thompson if he leaves :)

Fair enough Bulldog, and I have suspected that Thompson may not be in the team's plans, especially since his couple of scoring- threat-ending fumbles (Spurrier even called him out after the Dallas game.) I think most of us are of the opinion that Thompson could be productive for us, as most of us were with Thrash, but I think Thompson showed us more in his last four or five games than Thrash ever did. The fact that he is such a similar player to Gardner may be the main reason he's not going to be retained. If we had Gardner/Price/Thompson/ McCants, though, I think most of us would be pretty psyched.

That excerpt means nothing. We're taking a quote by an agent (who are never very trustworthy anyway) in the Times (which is never very trustworthy anyway) in which he esentially says, "Hopefully we'll get a deal done soon, but if not, we have other options."

I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

I wouldn't be getting my panties in a twist over the flemister signing/thompson not signed situation if i were you.

It's probably something real simple. such as Flemister having absolutely no leverage and basically signing whatever he was offered and glad to get it versus Thompson being harder to sign because he or his agent sees this as a "GIVE ME THE MONEY" opportunity.

In other words, it's going to take more negotiations to get a contract with Thompson, who has shown a smidgin of potential, than it will for someone like flemister who basically disappointed this year. And wasn't flemister restricted while thompson isn't?

The season ended on Sunday. The coaching staff took a 10-day vacation. The Bowl season kicked off and our front office has been out and about. There was New Years Eve and Day. It's playoff Saturday and you guys are already b!tching about our front office moving slowly? Christ, sometimes I give people too much credit for having a brain in their heads.

It's threads like this that make me realize I'm far too charitable. James Thrash had a far lesser year than Thompson had this year when he went into free agency. Why is everyone assuming Thompson will be able to be signed for less than Thrash?

Further, I won't be surprised if we don't make another move at all until the week before March 1. This is scouting season. It's working the bowl games and the playoffs and the Super Bowl and the Pro Bowl. Please don't start sniping already and give yourself a chance to find your brain before I go nuts reading this type of thing.

I could be waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of bounds here, but I suspect that maybe some of the Front Office took some time off and have not returned yet to get to the negotiations.

Boy, if this ins't jumping the gun, I don't know what is......

Relax gang. We have time to get these guys under contract. You know, there are about a billion things that have to be delt with before we can go and offer X amount of money to a guy.

Yeesh. I guess I can't expect too much though, most everyone here seems to think its easy to trade down draft picks also.

Archived