Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Santana Factor in 2007

Oldfan

The Santana Factor

2005 was the only injury-free year so far in Santana Moss's career. In that year, he and Brunell hooked up both deep and on WR screens that Moss broke for long gains. Between the fourth quarter of the Dallas Miracle and the San Francisco blowout, they combined for most of the yardage of a passing game that averaged over 300 yards. But, after San Francisco, teams began double-covering Moss and our passing game averaged only 150 yards for the rest of the season.

The double covering of Moss meant that teams couldn't stack eight in the box to stop the run, so we pounded Clinton Portis and the run game to finish out the year with good results.

A healthy Santana Moss is the only player we have good enough to warrant double coverage. If teams can get by with single coverage on him this year, as they seem to be doing in the preseason, it will give them an edge in stopping our run game.

It's something to keep an eye on.

A healthy Santana Moss is the only player we have good enough to warrant double coverage. If teams can get by with single coverage on him this year, as they seem to be doing in the preseason, it will give them an edge in stopping our run game.

It's something to keep an eye on.

I would venture a guess that some teams will end up rolling double coverage to Cooley at times, but yeah as far as consistent double teams go Santana is the only one that warrents it. I love 'Tana but you have to bet that he's going to be hurt for a game or two this year. Lloyd and El have to step it up if we're to have any hope of seeing the playoffs. I think they have a better shot at stepping up if a healthy Jason Campbell is in there and the timing is down, but this season hinges on the production of Campell and the #2-3 wideouts.

I think it's good that you mentioned this because i think Al Saunders should really break down the film on how we used Moss during the 06' season. The bubble screens like some of you mentioned work very well with Moss speed, and most Corners are going to give him a cushion because they don't want to get beat deep by him. I think its key for Al Saunders to stretch the field early with Moss to allow the Defense to be on there heels once that we can mix in the bubble screens to big gains, and when they come up for bump coverages we beat them deep with the playaction. I also, agree with what some of you mentioned about our other WR stepping up because that is also key someone on our WR corp needs to make a big impression this season besides Moss

Cooley is going to have a great year this year and gonna get doubled alot. Campbell does something that Brunell was not doing much of anymore and that is throw the ball down the middle of the field so teams stop playing the unpenetrable cover 2 against us. We saw signs of that in the Steelers game when Cooley was running wild everywhere. But if Moss is healthy he will demand double teams. We have alot of options this year and I hope Campbell gets the ball to all of them.

he will definately be a factor. He's already struck 1 decent deep ball in a preseason game. as long as our O-line can keep JC upright, i have no doubt that Moss will put up great numbers...he's clutch.

That deep ball Moss caught from Campbell is the play that inspired my post. I noticed he was covered man-to-man on that play. Our success in burning them when they do that will be one of the keys to our running game.

Cooley is going to have a great year this year and gonna get doubled alot. Campbell does something that Brunell was not doing much of anymore and that is throw the ball down the middle of the field so teams stop playing the unpenetrable cover 2 against us. We saw signs of that in the Steelers game when Cooley was running wild everywhere. But if Moss is healthy he will demand double teams. We have alot of options this year and I hope Campbell gets the ball to all of them.

I think Cooley is a weapon, but I wouldn't double him. A good cover safety will minimize his production.

I like the idea of using Moss or Randle-el more on the bubble screen to set up a downfield throw later in the game. Fake the bubble screen pass to the WR and the TE or WR who was supposed to be the blocker breaks downfield for the pass.

So do I. I don't remember the stat, but an amazing number of Brunell's TD passes in 2005 were passes completed behind the LOS.

what kind of numbers do you guys HONESTLY expect santana to put up. put your homerism aside and take into consideration that he is already not 100% healthy.

He may be dogging it in the preseason. Why risk a hammy pull now?

The odds are against a completely healthy year, like 2005, so luck is a factor without doubt.

My opinion -- without a completely healthy Moss in 2005, we don't even sniff the playoffs that year.

The only time teams will not double Santana is when they guess it's going to be a running play. Santana is too fast for any CB to cover one-on-one. In preseason sometimes defenses may put a single corner on a #1 receiver to see how good that CB can handle a difficult situation; but when the game counts to cover Santana one-on-one is stupid.

The only time teams will not double Santana is when they guess it's going to be a running play. Santana is too fast for any CB to cover one-on-one. In preseason sometimes defenses may put a single corner on a #1 receiver to see how good that CB can handle a difficult situation; but when the game counts to cover Santana one-on-one is stupid.

True, but only if he is 100% healthy. The Jets didn't trade him because they didn't realize how talented he is when healthy.

Archived