Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Skins Games

bulldog

not much going on this week other than the Marvin saga which I got bored with real quick :)

my list of favorite Redskins games since 1981, not including playoffs or Super Bowls...........just darn good wins in the regular season :D

in chronological order only:

1. Redskins 15, Giants 14. Moseley kicks 5 field goals, including the game-winner in the snow in 1982.

2. Redskins 34, Cowboys 10. The 'No, Danny, No' game in 1983 that decided the East Champion.

3. Redskins 41, Cowboys 14. Game at RFK in 1984 was just fun from the start :)

4. Redskins 14, 49ers 6. Redskins' defense holds Montana and Co. without a TD in 1986 MNF contest.

5. Redskins 27, Vikings 24. Doug Williams engineers fourth quarter comeback in final regular season game and wins starting qb job for good from Jay Schroeder. NFC Title game preview.......

6. Redskins 13, Cowboys 7. Redskins' scabs defeat a team of Dallas regulars in 1987 strike game.

7. Redskins 41, Lions 38. Jeff Rutledge brings Skins back from 35-14 deficit to win 1990 game in the Silverdome.

8. Redskins 17, Giants 13. Redskins break Giants Stadium jinx in 1991, outscoring NY 17-0 after the half.

9. Redskins 56, Falcons 17. Rypien throws 6 td's and 442 yards in 1991 game at RFK. Deion Sanders and guest Evander Holyfield get to watch the carnage from the bench :D

10. Redskins 20, Cowboys 17. Redskins win 1992 game after Emmitt fumbles in his own end zone. He later says a Redskin bit him under the pile to recover the ball :laugh: :cheers:

11. Redskins 24, 49ers 21. Brad Johnson throws for over 450 yards in SF to secure Redskins Eastern title in 1999.

12. Redskins 34, Rams 20. Jeff George's only good game in a Washington uniform nets a victory on Monday night vs. the defending champions.

bulldog-

how can you omit the 1982-83 Championship game against the Cowboys, which had Darrell Grant returning an INT for a TD to ice the game?

"We want Dallas! We want Dallas . . . !" :)

Edit- oops! I just saw the qualification that limited it to the regular season. :shootinth :laugh:

Good list Bulldog! As far as regular season games including and since the Gibbs era, that victory at Dallas in the '83 season definitely stands out. I think both teams were 12-2 at the time, and of course we got revenge for the loss in the opener, in which we were ahead 23-3 at half but blew it big time. Also, although it was early in the season, the Monday night win at Dallas in '91 was also cool, and was one of those games that propelled us to that 11-0 start. Lohmiller had a monster game that night.

Another one I seem to remember was late in the 1990 season. I know at one point the Skins were 6-5 and our playoff chances were in doubt, and the players called a meeting which was led by veterans like Monk. I'm not sure how far after the meeting this particular game was, but Miami with Marino came in here and we absolutely killed them. The final was 42-20, but was 42-6 at one point.

1. Super Bowl XVII Jan. 30, 1983 Washington 27, Miami 17Redskins beating the Dolphins in superbowl 17. Riggo wears the oxygen mask while he's on the sideline. Wondered if that was actually cooler than seeing him smoke:high:

2. If this was the game where dexter knocked out Danny White, then this is my #2: Redskins 34, Cowboys 10. The 'No, Danny, No' game in 1983 that decided the East Champion.

3.Super Bowl XXII Jan. 31, 1988 Washington 42, Denver 10

although the playoff game versus the Vikes was pretty sick.

4. Redskins 41, Lions 38. Jeff Rutledge brings Skins back from 35-14 deficit to win 1990 game in the Silverdome.

5. Redskins 56, Falcons 17. Rypien throws 6 td's and 442 yards in 1991 game at RFK. Deion Sanders and guest Evander Holyfield get to watch the carnage from the bench as IAMBG cheers.

Mark Rypien throws a vicious blow on Jesse Tuggle after an interception. Tolliver was a punk. Dern danced until he left the game complaining of a bad hammie.

6. NFC Divisional Playoff: Redskins 24 Falcons 7

Dern tried to bring "pram tam" to RFK but got ***** slapped again. Might contend for my all time favorite.

7.Super Bowl XXVI Jan. 26, 1992 Washington 37, Buffalo 24

nuff said.

8.Redskins 20 Cowboys 17 Aikman is apparently stripped of the ball in the endzone by Jason Buck who in turn recovers for a touchdown. Prequal to the fumble that was mid throw in last years AFC playoffs.

9. Redskins 24, 49ers 21. Brad Johnson throws for over 450 yards in SF to secure Redskins Eastern title in 1999. Norv creates a magical last minute drived, capped off by an isolation play to Larry Centers. God I miss him:cry:

10. Redskins 26 Tehas 10/Redskins 20 F-Boys 14:

While it was wonderful to break the cowboy jinx, I was in attendance at the Texans game. Yelled my head of to see Darrel out in the game and shed a bit of a tear in front of my brother as ol 28 gave a wave to our side of the stands for our chants. Darrel is one of our youngest and fondest memories for two brothers who grew up watching the Redskins with our father, who we lost Just before the 87 superbowl. Quite an emotional day for us.

:wave:

Lets see. I have two personal favorites.

1) Has to be the body bag game. One of the greatest Eagle games ever.

2) Since I'm too tired to put my 'thinking cap' on, and since I'm rather young, I'll stick to the more recent, MNF game. IF the Eagles lost that game, the whole season was in jeopardy.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

One quick correction: The score of the 1999 game against the 49ers was 26-20 in OT when Larry Centers walked into the end zone not the 24-21 that is up there. Regardless it was still an exciting game and gave us all hope that the Redskins may be the team for the next decade with picks and cap room.

And Eagles Legend one of my personal favorites is the 1990 playoff game at the Vet where the Skins came in and cruised to a 20-6 win ending the Buddy Ryan Era. :laugh:

My favorite without a doubt was the 1982 NFC Championship game at RFK vs Dallas. Dexter Manley knocking out Danny White. Gary Hogabom filling in for White getting a pass deflected by Manley into the arms of Darryl Grant who scores the deciding touchdown. Pictures of the fans bouncing the stands up and down shouting,"We Want Dallas". Man, those days were fantastic wern't they?

Sorry, my bad. I just noticed that the list was for just regular season games. The one that sticks out in my mind is the replacement game in Dallas on a Monday night. Dallas had quite a few of their regulars suited up, while the Skins had all replacement players. If I recall we beat the cowpies 13-7 that night, giving us an undefeated replacement record. That in turn led to the return of our regulars who finished the season 11-4, and went on to beat the Bears and Vikings in the playoffs,enroute to a Super Bowl victory over the Denver Broncos.

Well, as long as we're reminiscing about that 1982 Championship Game, I also love the anecdote that had Joe Bugel so pumped up that, right before the game, he shouted across the field at his counterpart on the Cowboys to get his attention and then flipped him the bird. :laugh:

More on topic, I enjoyed the game in 2000 when Stephen Davis ran roughshod over the vaunted Bucs run defense for around 160 yards. That too was fun. :)

Im kinda young(16), but i remember watching a game where Art Monk caught the ball then almost fell down but caught himself with one arm then ran in for a TD. Im not sure if thats exactly right or when the game was or anything like that. But i do remember something like that happening, anyone know what game im talkin about?

What about the '00 wild card game against the Lions? The only playoff win in the Norval era was the only game where every player was completely focused and intense.

Seems like for the past 10 years all we've been talking about is heartless players who care only about payday and nothing more.

That wasn't the case against the Lions, for whatever reason.

7. Redskins 41, Lions 38. Jeff Rutledge brings Skins back from 35-14 deficit to win 1990 game in the Silverdome.

This was easily my most favorite 'random' game of the decade. All three members of "The Posse" had over 100 yards receiving (only time in Skins history 3 receivers did this in one game?), with Monk leading the way with 13 catches for 168 yards. Jeff Rutledge came in for the second half for an ineffective Stan Humfries (why can't I remember how to spell that) and passed for an obscene 363 yards.

Down 38-21 in the 4th quarter, Clark scores a TD on 4th down, then Rutledge scores on a quarterback draw to send the game to OT. Big 40 yard catch by Monk set up the game winner by Lohmiller.

One of the most exciting games I've ever seen. I looked all over Ebay and numerous web-sites for a tape of it. I'd love to see it again, drama all over the place.

You know, I have to seriously wonder about the fan base here.

How could anyone miss probably the best game ever played at RFK?

Redskins vs Raiders regular season game in 83.

Even though they did not have Allen playing in that game, the were beating on us pretty good. Theisman to Washington with less then a min to go (If I remember correctly) to go ahead for the win.

Yeesh guys, come on.;)

One of the things I remember about the 1990 victory at Detroit, aside from the Skins offensive performance in the fourth quarter, was Wayne Fontes' horrendous clock management in the same timeframe. As I recall, Barry Sanders had been killing us on the ground that day. And I know that you don't want to get too conservative in your playcalling, but Fontes in that silly WCO was throwing the ball almost every down. A lot of passes were falling incomplete, and, instead of taking 1.5-2 minutes off the clock per drive, the Lions were giving us the ball back almost instantly. If Fontes had been a little smarter in that game, we wouldn't have won.

Of course, the next week was the Body-Bag game. My all-time favorite win in terms of satisfaction will be the 20-6 playoff victory at the Vet later that year. Eagles_Legendz, with Andy Reid on the verge of leading Philly to a Super Bowl, its time to erase that fat a** Ryan from the Birds' history books.

Archived