Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marv Lewis isn't going to Cincinnati

Gamebreaker

It just doesn't seem possible. Marv isn't dumb enough to put himself in that position. Mike Brown is too stubborn to let go of the stranglehold he has on this franchise. The lack of a scouting staff, and him being a GM has been killing this franchise for the last decade or more.

No coach, no matter how talented, can win under those circumstances and I'm sure Lewis recognizes this. The only reason he's accepting the interview is so he won't look negatively in the eyes of the other owners.

Besides, Brown doesn't even want Lewis. He wants Tom Coughlin, who may just committ career suicide to prove he's still got it after the meltdown in Jacksonville.

I don't know whether Lewis will be hired, but it would appear he is desperate enough to take ANY job that is offered to him as long as it has 'NFL' attached to it...................

You will notice that part of being a successful coach in the NFL is going to a location where you will get the support you need to build.

Cincinnati has shown that type of consistent effort is not going to be provided by the current ownership.

I think it is just complete BS when Lewis comes out and says that the Bengals 'want to win' and that he felt 'good about the opportunity as it was presented'.

Cincinnati was THE organization that Bill Parcells was talking about yesterday when he mentioned teams that went through the motions but were not really ready to make an all out commitment to winning................. :)

I think we all know that and that Marvin is just desperate enough to reach for any life preserver at this point.............

Marvin wants to be a head coach of course, and that is 95% of this, but the other 5% is IMO that he really doesn't want to come back to DC in 2003 to work with Snyder and Spurrier again.

Well hopefully this is resolved quickly.

Marv moving to cincy may finally bring continuity to the defense if we promote from within and probably end those instances where the swear jar needs be cloned after we go into a prevent or zone after having success in man coverage forced 3rd and long.

It's Coughlin's job. I would think that of anyone availiable, he's the best fit. If Brown relenquishes the GM position, I can see the Bungles getting back to their old selves, a perrenial 7-9 team:cool:

I don't understand Marvin. He is inexperienced as and NFL head coach and is considering the worst franchise of all time. On the other hand, when Dungy went to the bucs, I don't think anyone thought he would be sucessful so fast, but then again, the owner was pumping alot of money into that team.

Bottom line is that Lewis looks a better fit in Jacksonville where defensive help is needed and the offensive tools will require just a bit of tweaking. That team is so close to a super bowl it frightens me. I was never surprised that Coughlin couldn't do it. He's too disciplinarian and old hat..

Coughlin is a real take-charge, high-discipline guy, who has shown he can get results quickly -- his launch of the Jacksonville franchise was the most successful expansion franchise launch ever. He's the ideal guy to go in, rip out the Bengal problems by the roots, and establish a winning-franchise-or-else mentality.

He's so ideal for the Bengals job that, the Bengals being the Bengals, there's no chance in hell he's getting the job. :)

Marvin Lewis will provide a lot of cheap, politically correct rah-rahs from the press if given the Bengals job. Mike Brown of the Bengals probably wants the press off his back more than he wants a winning franchise. So my bet is that Lewis gets the job.

Lewis *is* capable enough to turn the Bengals around, so I'm not betting against him. He just doesn't have the force of personality to do it as quickly as Coughlin, in my view. And the problem with not doing it quickly is that a sense of failure can set in that can be difficult to overcome. For a team with such an ingrained sense of failure as the Bengals, that's a lot to fight -- Lewis would be in for a long battle.

My advice to Lewis if he gets the job is to stop the whining, stop the leaks to the press, stop the lying, and just head into Cincy with a clear-cut, my-way-or-the-highway approach. If he goes whining to the press like he did here, he'll lose the respect of the team -- and then he's through.

Asf, Redman right on! I agree completely with the both of you.

Brown has got to give up his strangle hold. While Lewis would be the better long term choice, his track record shows that he is not a very "long-term" kind of guy.

Coughlin seems to sputter once he has the personnell but I would want him as my coach after what the Bungholes have been through.

Archived