Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Griese On His Way Out

goldenster95

Let's not get this guy either . . .

Bye-bye Bronco? Griese appears to have worn out his welcome

Forget about the killer cap hit.

Even though the Broncos stand to lose anywhere from $7.1 million to $8.4 million — depending on exactly when they decide to show him the door — we hear it’s looking very unlikely that Brian Griese will be back under center for the Broncos next season.

Griese’s fate probably was sealed after he shot nothing but blanks in Denver’s Week 16 loss to the division-rival Raiders — a “make-or-break” outing in the eyes of most team insiders.

Heading into that game, we hear Griese already had fallen out of favor with many of the Broncos’ players, who privately confided that they had lost faith in a quarterback who has had his moments (compiling a 27-24 record as a starter) but never came close to measuring up to the lofty standards set by the legendary John Elway.

If Griese is indeed a goner, it’s believed that Steve Beuerlein, who replaced him vs. Oakland and started Denver’s regular-season finale vs. the Cardinals, has the inside track at replacing him — as opposed to the Broncos drafting a quarterback or pursuing a free agent such as Arizona’s Jake Plummer, who head coach Mike Shanahan is on record as saying would be an intriguing fit in the right West Coast offense.

In addition to the obvious financial savings that come into play with Beuerlein becoming the heir-apparent, there is also the fact that, unlike Griese, Beuerlein is well-respected among his teammates.

In addition, the 37-year-old Beuerlein doesn’t have a lot of wear and tear on his body because of the backup role he primarily has filled the last few years.

Whether Beuerlein can be as effective as fellow graybeard Rich Gannon has been in Oakland, it appears at least that he very well could get a chance.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm

Griese would be nice, but he'd make more than Ramsey and that would cause problems. Besides, he isn't the smartest guy in the world -- do you really want a guy who knocks himself out on a teammates driveway? At least Gus had the courtesy to do it on national TV so we could watch.

First of all, I don't want him on our team. He would undercut Ramsey too much and would be a distraction, perhaps resembling the Brad Johnson-Jeff George problem we recently had.

However, I think the Broncos are either nuts about this issue (after all the sin of failing to match Elway on the field is a pretty common one) or else they know something about him and his behavior or something (drinking problem, for example?) that isn't commonly known.

Because I respect Shanahan's abilities as a personnel guy, I tend towards the latter assumption. However, the Denver sportswriters are hysterical meat heads on this issue.

It might be an interesting dynamic. Bob Griese hates Spurrier beause he beat him out for the Heisman in college. Griese never has anything good to say about Spurrier if you ever listened to him call a Gator game. Spurrier might sign Brian just to humiliate him in front of his Dad and everyone else.

Well not really, but you get the point.

Ive got a few Denver fans as friends and there 100% correct............... hes rubbish.

When the pressures on he chokes, at first i gave Donco fans the same reasons you guys give: hes a decent QB he still has excellent numbers, its hard to follow a Elway.

but there right he is utter rubbish, he cant lead, he flat out stinks when the pressures on.

His last game for the Doncos v the Faiders he was talking to the media about it being his defining moment for himself as a person & the Denver QB.

The result?? first 6 possesions, 3 3&outs, 1 fumble, 2 picks and 0TDs then gets knocked from the game.

Id love it if he were a Skin but if i was a Redskin fan id rather take Banks!

I have watched this guy every game for the past 3 years. The wife is a lifelong Bronco fan and to make the house a better place to live I have taken them on as my second team. For those of you married, you know what I'm talking about ;) The guy has no, and I mean no leadership qualities at all. He goes out and the emotion is the same no matter what happens, Brian throws a 80 yd bomb to Smith, no emotion, Brian throws a 80 int returned for a TD, no emotion. This is the last thing we need on the skins. Let's give Ramsey a chance, he looks like he has the goods to be quality NFL QB. I say he deserves the chance until he shows us otherwise.

All we need is a solid backup for next season, because Ramsey's going to be the starter no matter what. Speculation about QB's we all know will want to be a starter wherever they end up is pointless. Greise has never impressed me anyway, so I'm really not down with signing this guy.

I doubt Parcells would pick him up, although Testerverde wasn't anything special until he came to the Jets and played under Parcells. So you never know.

I coudl care less. We have Ramsey and he is the future here. Her ei smy problem with considering someone liek Griese....why do the Broncs want him to go. Certainly not cap reason. The why even get into that. Ramsey has made tremendous strides this year and will work all winter and summer in DC with Gardner. Thats sound s like a great tandem in the making

So if they get rid of Griese, where are the Broncos headed? Buerlein isn't taking them anywhere.

Do the Broncos have enough to trade up for either Carson Palmer or Leftwich?

Shanahan's genius cloak is going to get shabbier and shabbier if he keeps missing the playoffs.

I don't see how the Broncos fail to win with the personnel they've got.

I also know someone who is an avid Denver fan and he SWEARS the Griese is a bum. I've made the same "numbers are pretty good" statements but he is also undeterred in his thinking. He feels Griese gets all his numbers against weak teams in a few big wins but NEVER performs well in big games.

Griese is a lot like Gus Frerotte. He's a VERY streaky QB and is capable of great things. Unfortunately, he lacks consistancy and gets rattled way too easily when his O-Line doesn't hold up. He also doesn't play very well in bad weather.

He'd be perfect for a team with a good O-Line that plays in a dome. :rolleyes:

I too have heard the complaints from within and without the Bronco locker room about Griese's non-existant leadership qualities. He seemed to verify that a year or two ago when he vowed to be a better leader.

However, the failures to lead on the field are not uniform. I seem to recall a game on national TV (Sunday Night?) against the Raiders a couple of years ago when he separated his shoulder before returning to the game and leading the Broncos to victory.

Labeling him a bum is a bit too harsh, and to me it speaks more about high expectations for him than it does for failures on his part. He may be merely an above average NFL QB, who warrants a starting shot in many NFL cities, like the Gus Frerottes and Jon Kitna's of the world. God knows we've had our share of such "bums" on our team over the last decade. But those guys represent the large middle class of NFL QB's, and there are far worse guys to be stuck with. Heck, Baltimore even proved that you can win a Super Bowl with one of them.

It's all in how you look at it I suppose. However, it remains all academic to me as I do not want him in D.C.!

Archived