Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxNews continues to pummell the rest.

Kilmer17

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030102/tv_nm/television_foxnews_dc_3

CNN, Headline News, MSNBC and CNBC suffered double-digit drops in year-end ratings vs. 2001, the year that audiences flocked to the television for updates on post-9/11 events.

Only Fox News, which has become the prime peacetime cable news destination, experienced significant growth in total-day and primetime versus 2001.

In 2002, it climbed 44% to an average of 667,000 total-day viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research.

In the same time period and category, second-place CNN slipped 7% to an average of 536,000 viewers. Third-place MSNBC tumbled 23% to 263,000.

CNBC dove 44%, and Headline News slipped 12%.

Several individual broadcasts are nonetheless gathering momentum for their cable parents.

CNN's 7-10 a.m. breakfastcast "American Morning with Paula Zahn" jumped 32% in total viewership to an average of 509,000 in 2002. The show, however, still trails Fox News' two-hour "Fox and Friends."

MSNBC, which overhauled its schedule in July, saw its biggest gains in time slots that it considers placeholders.

The 7 p.m. (ET) "Countdown: Iraq" boosted the slot 20% versus the third quarter when the network previously aired "Nachman," now on at 5 p.m.

"MSNBC Reports," which succeeded "Ashleigh Banfield: On Location" at 10 p.m. (ET), has improved the slot by 30%.

Most networks, however, saw significant growth in those specific timeslots during the October sniper attacks, when audiences likely tuned in when they got home from work or later when they turned in for the night.

The coverage of the murders in northern Virginia gave Fox News, CNN and MSNBC a boost in fourth-quarter total-audience ratings vs. the previous quarter.

its true, Fox News has overtaken CNN as the top cable news network. Fox News seems to increase in popularity as the age range of the demographics go up. In the younger 18-34 demographic, Fox News leads CNN, but they are essentially neck and neck. The difference in viewership becomes more pronounced in the 35-49 age group and reaches its peak at the 50+ age group where the ratio of FNC to CNN viewers is greater than 3:2.

hey, you brought it up...

I think it's funny that you would refer to CNN as the Clinton News Network...

Several of my family members are diehard republicans... the type that would vote for Satan if he were GOP.... and they swear by Fox news....

I am of no party, I think the whole idea of political parties is the biggest political problem in the US. The politicians are supposed to represent the people of their area, but they are loyal to their party.... that sucks... I don't agree with either party on 100% of the issues.

But it is funny to hear the news networks are slanted.... you would hope the news would be straight up...

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Even more frightening for the Clinton News Network is that FoxNews is available in only 1/3 of the markets CNN is available in.

Thats not true.

Based on the latest Nielsen reports, FNC reaches 81,964,000 TV Households. CNN reaches 86,575,000 TV Households. Slight advantage for CNN, but not a significant difference.

The numbers I gave you are produced on a monthly basis. They are the Universe Estimates for those two networks for the month of January 03. The UEs are produced every month using a cable network's coverage area. Its a highly educated estimation of how many US TV HHLDS are capable of receiving CNN and FNC. If you want to work out the Coverage %, all you have to do is figure out what % of the Total US HHLD UE (106,700,000) the cable network UE is.

As for the claims about markets, thats really irrelevant, since all that matters is how many HHLDs you can reach, BUT even still, it is pretty much impossible for that claim to be true, the only way it could be true would be if CNN was available in all the smaller markets (there are 210 markets total), and FNC was in all the big ones, giving them similar HHLD UEs and coverages but different market counts, but that isn't the case.

To answer your question directly, those are overall numbers, not Nielsen sample numbers.

Archived