Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Movie ratings and how they work...?

Spaceman Spiff

I'm channel surfing and the old Michael J Fox movie "Doc Hollywood" is on HBO. I like Michael J Fox, but I've never seen the movie. It's rated PG-13, whatever. There's not much else on.

I'm half watching it and a few f-bombs have been dropped and then there's a scene where this topless chick comes walking out of a pond after swimming and doesn't even try to cover up.

So how's this movie rated PG 13?

Well, the movie Spawn from the comic book, was going to get an R rating becuase of Green satanic blood in the fight scenes. Once edited, it got a pg-13.

What I find sad is that I've seen pg-13 movies that are worse than pg. and pg-13 is suppose to be suitable for persons 13 and older. I dont know about y'all, but I don't want my 13 year old hearing f-bombs and boobies yet. There's plenty of time in thier lives where they will see that eventually.

I know exactly how movies are rated. The people that work for the MPAA watch a movie, go to their respective offices and their monkey (not their assistant, they each have an actual monkey) advises them on how to rate the movie.

When the South Park movie was made and originally submitted for a rating it got an NC-17 because of profanity. Parker and Stone took the movie back, added more profanity, resubmitted it and got an R rating.

A really good documentary about the MPAA is "This Film is not yet Rated", it shows how the MPAA "works" (and I use that term VERY loosely) and how different movies are rated.

Archived