Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Draft History vs. the NFL (need help)

Touchdown Redskins

Hey guys, I know a lot of members of ES have been defaming our front office. I wanted to, in a sense, quantify our front office's production and compare it to the rest of the league's front offices. I started comparing statistics, but realized that it would take way too long to do this by myself. I was wondering if you guys might be interested in helping me out, and if you are, please PM me and let me know. I will assign one (or more) teams to a person, and the research itself takes 20 to 30 minutes of your time.

If you're looking for more details, here they are:

I want to look at the past decade of draft history (1997 draft to the 2006 draft) and look at, for each team, the following:

1. Total number of draft picks in that span

a. Total number of picks in rounds 1 through 3

b. Total number of picks in rounds 4 and on

2. Total number of starting players acquired from those picks in that span

a. Total number of starting spots acquired from rounds 1 through 3

b. Total number of starting spots acquired from rounds 4 and on

3. Total number of pro bowl or pro bowl alternate players acquired from those picks in that span

a. Total number of pro bowl/pro bowl alternate players acquired from rounds 1 -3

b. Total number of pro bowl/pro bowl alternate players acquired from rounds 4 and on

I won't lie, it's busy work, but in the end I hope to compile all these stats and make them available on ES. Also, I want to perform some amateur statistical analysis to decide once and for all whether our FO is full of crap or not (at least in the drafting process). I will give you further details and directions if you're interested to make your life much easier. Thanks!

If you want an example, please see this thread and look at my two posts about the Redskins draft history:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205395

Ok I'll bite.

First, I'll look at the class of the NFCE over the last several years, the Eagles.

1. 85. Yes, you read that right. 85 picks in 10 years.

1a. 31 in the first 3 rounds

1b. 54 in the back 4 rounds

2. 28 who became starters at 1 time or another

a. 19

b. 9 (ND Kalu, Ed Jasper, Luther Broughton, Brandon Whiting, John Welbourn, Correll Buckhalter, Raheem Brock, Trent Cole, Sean Considine)

3. Not sure. Definitely Jeremiah Trotter, Lito Shepherd, Donovan McNabb and Corey Simon, all picks in the 1st three rounds.

REDSKINS

1. 63 total picks

1a. 24

1b. 39

2a. 16

2b. 5 -- (Albert Connell, Shawn Barber, David Terrell, Robert Royal, Kedrick Golston)

3. Arrington, Samuels, Taylor, Champ -- All top 10 draft picks.

Go to this post I started awhile back--one of my better threads.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194590

Wow, in SF Cerrato only had one good draft in his years there (1998). In the rest he was lucky to get one starter out of the bunch. Although he HAS had more luck in Washington, simply just looking at the number of starters. It's a wonder we gave him the job based on his 49ers history, though.

I always praise the Steelers' FO so I will do them:

1. 83 overall

a. 33 in the first 3 rounds

b. 50 after rd 4

2. Starters? This is a bit of a guess: But 31 starters seems close. (I am not sure if Will Blackwell counts).

a. 22 starters in the first 3 rounds.

b. 9 (4th round and later....Ike Taylor, Larry Foote, Bret Kiesel, Chukky Okobi, Clark Haggans, Aaron Smith, Jerame Tuman, Kris Brown, DeShea Townsend)

3. a. 7: Faneca, Ward, Porter, Smith, Hampton, Bell, Polamalu

b. 1 - I think Aaron Smith has made it.

It should also be pointed out, that the Redskins should hit on a high percentage of starters in the first round based on their draft position:

They have picked at:

Versus the Steelers:

And Eagles:

The Eagles and Steelers combined don't have as many top ten picks as the Skins over the last decade.

Archived