Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Hanburger Hall of Fame Campaign

HighwayPatrolLT

Hi guys,

After watching Roger Werhli's speech and seeing his induction to the HOF, and how it NOT only was joyful, deserved, long overdue and an honor for him professionally and personally, but to his family, friends, and FANS....hundreds who traveled there to watch it.... I have decided that the injustice of the HOF writers snub, on my all time favorite player Chris Hanburger , our 9x PRO BOWLER, must not continue without an effort equal to what Chris gave us for 14 years as a Redskin, quality performance, loyalty, class, and probably to his own disservice his HUMILITY ...

What makes me want to do it so much, is that Chris would never ask us too, and has never lobbied for himself, or even hinted that he is saddend about the long time snub..... i also think his family, friends and his FANS deserve it too...

I am preparing a DVD of highlights of all Chris's greatest hits so to speak....ive got about 100 hours of Chris Hanburger defensive plays, some are so spectacular, if ESPN/Sports Center was around when he played...i wouldn't be writing this...they would have already put him in the HOF...you know, Sunday night football, have one good tackle on SNF and your the best ever, ( ie. Urlacher, Lewis ect..) ... i plan on editing this, and sendiong it to each of the Veterans committee writers, and anyone else i can think of in the selction process..

I think signatures of people supporting him for the HOF would be sufficient, like was done for TONY PEREZ of the Big Red Machine a few times....

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful....like I said, after watching it today....i think enough is enough....

I understand, working against us big time is Chris was " extremely " media unfriendly when he played.....and these writers have long memories.

I think the idea that sports writers keeping out a linebacker whose credentials meet or exceed every Lber currently in the HOF , and whose credentials are BETTER than more than half that are in, has finally pissed off enough Redskins fans that ive spoken too to finally make this campaign

warranted....

Anyone interested feel free to email me, or reply to the post... i know there is one underway for Art Monk, BUT Chris is retired 29 years, his last game was December 16, 1978..... and he should be a priority

This is great great idea.

One thing you have to know is that since Hanburger has been retired more than 25 years, he must be nominated by the Senior Committee. The members of that committee are only a subset of the Hall of Fame voters:

Chicago Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune*

Dallas Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*

Detroit Jerry Green, The Detroit News*

Houston John McClain, Houston Chronicle*

Miami Edwin Pope, Miami Herald*

San Diego Jerry Magee, San Diego Union Tribune*

San Francisco Ira Miller, The Sports Xchange*

At Large Dave Goldberg, Associated Press*

At Large Len Shapiro, Miami Herald*

The best person to start with would be Len Shapiro, who can be reached through the Washington Post:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/leonard+shapiro/

Hi TJ,

Thanks for your support, and help...i wasn't certain about the process...i will take your advice, and start with Shapiro.... i have so much documented video of Chris , with announcers such as former players.. like Johnny Unitas, Paul Hornung, George Allen, Frank Gifford, Nick Bounticonti and Jimmy the Greek, Irv Cross...to name a few.. refer to Chris as either " one of the All-Time Greats" or one of the best in the league ,

it was a different game when Chris played...it was more violent, Chris basically mauled people, tackling them high... and he threw quarterbacks and running backs around with one hand, with his vice grip , tosing them like a pit bull on a poodle....it will all be in the DVD....maybe ill send it to NFL Network too....

You hit on something that's probably more true than any other theories out there about why certain players are NOT in the hall. Humility.

Hanburger had it. Monk had it.

Flashiness sells, but it sells cheaply. "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." Fear not. When those two get into the hall, it will mean a heck of a lot more than it does for Michael "That crack pipe isn't mine" Irvin.

Hail to the Redskins.

Archived