Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBQ question

JeffSchmeff

Your statements are kind of contradictory. Cooking with charcoal has everything to do with being manly - because it makes better steak. Like you said, you should be able to tell the difference. And like Art said, its really no inconvenience to fill a chimney with charcoals and let them burn for 30 minutes. :whoknows:

I would agree on smoking stuff I would only use wood charcoal (the non-bricket stuff), but for grilling a quick burger or a piece of salmon or even a steak? There's a difference, but to me it's not worth that 1/2 hour. I have to work during the day and I'm tired when I get home. I don't want to hassle with it as often as I cook on the grill which is usually 4 or 5 nights a week. It also gets pricey. As for the heat of a gas grill??? Mine get's real close to the heat of a big load of charcoal. I don't know where that moisture stuff is coming from.

Us bachelor's love to grill cause it doesn't require any significant clean up. :D

That said when I was younger and had more time and energy I only used charcoal. :2cents:

I would agree on smoking stuff I would only use wood charcoal (the non-bricket stuff), but for grilling a quick burger or a piece of salmon or even a steak? There's a difference, but to me it's not worth that 1/2 hour. I have to work during the day and I'm tired when I get home. I don't want to hassle with it as often as I cook on the grill which is usually 4 or 5 nights a week. It also gets pricey. As for the heat of a gas grill??? Mine get's real close to the heat of a big load of charcoal. I don't know where that moisture stuff is coming from.

Us bachelor's love to grill cause it doesn't require any significant clean up. :D

That said when I was younger and had more time and energy I only used charcoal. :2cents:

I prefer the use of an iron skillet and my stove top for steaks, burgers and fish. You don't wash iron skillets. To me gas grills steam foods more than they sear. Then again, I do get too picky about my food at times.

I'll have to look into doing a beer can chicken in my oven. Never tasted a beer can chicken before.

One of the things I don't like about the charcoal experience (although thats also how I was raised) is that if using a marinade as I'm fond of doing, there is the inevitable problem of ashes getting stirred up and getting on the food itself. Now I suppose if you're using a smoker, and indirect heat, thats a non-issue. Or sticking to dry rubs I suppose is an option. But if you like basting your cooking food or using marinades, and don't have a grill capable of indirect heat, I don't see a solution. Gas trumps charcoal in this case I'm afraid.

One of the things I don't like about the charcoal experience (although thats also how I was raised) is that if using a marinade as I'm fond of doing, there is the inevitable problem of ashes getting stirred up and getting on the food itself. Now I suppose if you're using a smoker, and indirect heat, thats a non-issue. Or sticking to dry rubs I suppose is an option. But if you like basting your cooking food or using marinades, and don't have a grill capable of indirect heat, I don't see a solution. Gas trumps charcoal in this case I'm afraid.

The ashes add flavor. :silly:

That's what drip pans are for. You'll still get some here or there but no where near as much as you would if you didn't have them.

The ashes add flavor. :silly:

That's what drip pans are for. You'll still get some here or there but no where near as much as you would if you didn't have them.

Not that I lie awake thinking about it, but they're also carcinogenic :) And I don't really agree - smoke adds flavor. Ashes just make the food taste like ash.

I prefer the use of an iron skillet and my stove top for steaks, burgers and fish. You don't wash iron skillets. To me gas grills steam foods more than they sear. Then again, I do get too picky about my food at times.

I'll have to look into doing a beer can chicken in my oven. Never tasted a beer can chicken before.

I'm awful picky too. Might be that you've only used a cheap gas grill or something as mine gets hot enough to lay a sear on anything, even with marinade. The beer can chicken is well worth the effort. The skin on those things...mmmm! We buy a pack of corn tortillas and a can of Ro-tell and make tacos out of it. Delicioso!

Perfect ‘Beer Can’ Chicken

Mix rub:

1 part ‘Accent’

2 parts ‘Mr. Dash’

4 parts McCormicks ‘Original Chicken Seasoning’

Rub over chicken generously

Mount chickens on tall boy Yuengling cans (about 2/3rds full) and ensure they ‘assume the position’

Grill indirect heat (middle burner off) with front/back burners on ‘Medium’ heat for exactly 90 minutes.

This comes out amazing, no matter what you cook it on.

Perfect ‘Beer Can’ Chicken

Mix rub:

1 part ‘Accent’

2 parts ‘Mr. Dash’

4 parts McCormicks ‘Original Chicken Seasoning’

Rub over chicken generously

Mount chickens on tall boy Yuengling cans (about 2/3rds full) and ensure they ‘assume the position’

Grill indirect heat (middle burner off) with front/back burners on ‘Medium’ heat for exactly 90 minutes.

This comes out amazing, no matter what you cook it on.

I've got to give this one a try. :hungry:

Archived