Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I guess it's time to look for a new vehicle!

pjfootballer

No way I'd pay 30K for a car.

A new F-150 4x4 ext. cab sales down here for around 42k... :doh:

It would be easily 500 a month...

A friend of mine has a 05' F-250 4x4 and his payment is 700 a month...

And I agree, no way I'd pay that much for a vehicle....

What's a floor pan? Are you talking about the bed of the truck? I don't do manual trans (I can, just don't like them). I'm not looking to haul a boat or trailer, I just like trucks (had a 91 S-10) and if we need to get stuff at Lowes or Home Depot, it's really hard to stuff it in a Camaro or my wife's Malibu.

I hear ya. I like trucks myself. I don't care for shifter cars either. I am always a little weary of new models. It's a crying shame Chevy ditched the S-10/15 line. Great vehicles, especially with the 4.3L. I've heard some mixed reviews about the Colorado from mechanics. Personally, if I was to spend the money on a new truck, i'de go full size Ford or Chevy. Extended cab short bed isn't to big. It's totally worth the money for either of those. The fuel economy for the full size riggs is compairable in real world situations, at least from my experences.

Like I said before, I would buy another F150. I bought it a couple of year ago with 40K and now I'm over 75K. It's all been hard miles too. I wheel my truck, trailor things that are way to heavy and drive fast and it's doing fine. It has the occasional problem, but all cars do when they work like I make mine.

I am most likely buying a new GMC pick up, if I get another new truck. I may buy a cheap econo POS like the HHR and put one of my field trucks to work on the road, if I don't.

A new F-150 4x4 ext. cab sales down here for around 42k... :doh:

It would be easily 500 a month...

A friend of mine has a 05' F-250 4x4 and his payment is 700 a month...

And I agree, no way I'd pay that much for a vehicle....

I don't need the 4 X 4. That's where alot of the cost comes in. I just need a basic truck with the extended cab and the usual amenities (AC, Power windows, locks, cd player, etc.) Nothing fancy.

I really appreciate all you guys for your tips and help. My Dad is a wiz when it comes to auto mechanics, and you'd think I'd have learned a little over the years, but he didn't give me his mechanical DNA. I suck at doing anything under the hood of a car. Or in the house for that matter.

My wife's car will be paid off in 08, so it won't hurt us that much. I don't mind getting an 05, 06 or 07. My wife works for Wachovia, so that will help keep our payments down. The day I pay $500 a month for a car payment is the day I stop driving.

That's what I'm talking about, why take the steep initial depreciation? I paid $17k for my olds bravada (list $34k) with 7k miles 2 years old. And $17k for my tundra 4wd ($34k list) with 28k miles 3 years old, paid cash for both, money saved is money earned. Invest the rest in houses, they go up in value, vehicles go down

Well, Ford did make the C6 which was pretty well bulletproof but they only put it in the bigger vehicles. your right though, the C4 sucked.. :doh:

On the other hand, the mid-90's AOD found in the mustangs are pretty tuff as well.....

The C4 and C6 are both exellent transmittions. In the last 27 years, they have only given us(light duty trucks/cars) the AOD and E4OD and then on up. All garbage. Ford has never made an overdrive trans worth buying. Other weak spots are front end stuff and steering boxes. All cars have the same typical problems within thier brands, the trans from Ford is a pain though. I would put Honda in the distant second worse O/D catagory and Jeep YJs as the worst manuels (at least the peugot trans)

I hear ya. I like trucks myself. I don't care for shifter cars either. I am always a little weary of new models. It's a crying shame Chevy ditched the S-10/15 line. Great vehicles, especially with the 4.3L. I've heard some mixed reviews about the Colorado from mechanics. Personally, if I was to spend the money on a new truck, i'de go full size Ford or Chevy. Extended cab short bed isn't to big. It's totally worth the money for either of those. The fuel economy for the full size riggs is compairable in real world situations, at least from my experences.

Like I said before, I would buy another F150. I bought it a couple of year ago with 40K and now I'm over 75K. It's all been hard miles too. I wheel my truck, trailor things that are way to heavy and drive fast and it's doing fine. It has the occasional problem, but all cars do when they work like I make mine.

I am most likely buying a new GMC pick up, if I get another new truck. I may buy a cheap econo POS like the HHR and put one of my field trucks to work on the road, if I don't.

My Dad bought my 91 S-10 from me about 7 years ago when we were in FLorida. He was hauling pool equipment. He still has the truck. It has 201,000 miles on it and only leaks a little oil in the driveway. Like a Rock!

I'm not a Ford man. I had a 1980 Mustang in HS, and my Dad complained the whole time, so he'd throw a crescent wrench at me if I brought home another Ford. :laugh:

I'm like you, I really loved my S-10. I've also heard mixed reviews on the Colorado. My neighbor across the street has one. I'll get some lowdown from him.

Good call. Even if it's just for fun or for getting various price packages, check out each auto manufacturers website. It's adictive though. I would also say to check out prices in different states and counties as the prices change quite a bit. Dean Collins made a very good point about buying a vehicle thats very slightly used (under 40K miles), it saves you a lot of money, but I think it costs more to finance. Thats what I did.

I agree with your father, Fords are a pain in the ass if you have to work on them. I have no idea what they are thinking sometimes, it certainly isn't the mechanic.

Good call. Even if it's just for fun or for getting various price packages, check out each auto manufacturers website. It's adictive though. I would also say to check out prices in different states and counties as the prices change quite a bit. Dean Collins made a very good point about buying a vehicle thats very slightly used (under 40K miles), it saves you a lot of money, but I think it costs more to finance. Thats what I did.

I agree with your father, Fords are a pain in the ass if you have to work on them. I have no idea what they are thinking sometimes, it certainly isn't the mechanic.

My wife is from Peru, but I tell you what, she's a demon when it comes to finding good deals on the internet. She's actually been looking for about 3 months. We'll get a good rate on our loan because she gets an employee savings if she goes through Wachovia where she works. We redid our mortgage with them under the employee assistance plan and we saved $250 a month plus we didn't have to pay closing costs.

One other question for you guys. I'd ask my Dad, but they're on vacation in MD right now visiting my Grandmother.

When I turn the AC on, it blows hot air. Does that mean the compressor is gone, coil or does it just need a recharge of freon?

if it's low on freon and the compressor is still working, the compressor clutch will engage and disengage (cut on and off) and make a clicking noise in fairly rapid succession. Otherwise it could be a bad compressor, clutch, switch.....

call around and see if an ac shop will diagnose it for free. or you could pick up a can of freon from an auto parts store (get one with a filler hose and guage) and follow the instructions it's not too hard. you may need two cans (13oz.)

if it's low on freon and the compressor is still working, the compressor clutch will engage and disengage (cut on and off) and make a clicking noise in fairly rapid succession. Otherwise it could be a bad compressor, clutch, switch.....

call around and see if an ac shop will diagnose it for free. or you could pick up a can of freon from an auto parts store (get one with a filler hose and guage) and follow the instructions it's not too hard. you may need two cans (13oz.)

What he said.

My Dad bought my 91 S-10 from me about 7 years ago when we were in FLorida. He was hauling pool equipment. He still has the truck. It has 201,000 miles on it and only leaks a little oil in the driveway. Like a Rock!

I bought a '91 Ford Ranger 10 years ago...has 210,000 miles on it and still going strong...Built Ford Tough! :silly:

Thanks. I have a pretty good/fair priced shop that I take my cars too. They've been very honest with me and do good work. I might see if they'll take a look at it.

When my brakes were on the fritz, they did a free diagnosis and unfortunately they couldn't do the work themselves and said only the dealer could do it. It was expensive, but they've been really good and fair to me so far. Can't complain.

On my way home from work, I ran it, then idled in my driveway. No clicking or anything. Sounds like the compressor. Mo money I guess or I'll just have to sweat.

Well, the virdict is in. The cooling system needs major work. The H-block needs to be replaced along with the compressor and 1 line. It won't hold an ounce of freon. Guess I'm gonna have to be hot for a few weeks. My wife and I are going to Memphis in the middle of the month, so I guess we'll start looking for a new vehicle when we get back. The good news is, her car is paid off next August, so we'll only have to go 1 year with 2 car payments. My Dad will pay me cash for the Camaro, so we can use that for the down payment. Thanks to all that helped. Really appreciate my ES buddies here.

The good news is, her car is paid off next August, so we'll only have to go 1 year with 2 car payments.

not if you take advantage of a "no payments/no interest for a year" incentive, or a least think about putting the car on a no interest for a year credit card. I carried $70K on several cards for 3 years no interest. first it was construction materials for the home I'm building, then that worked so well I paid off two cars, then put the last $20K off my primary home mortgage on one. Now zero debt! saved thousands in interest. Just be sure to transfer the balance to a new no interest card before the deal expires.

not if you take advantage of a "no payments/no interest for a year" incentive, or a least think about putting the car on a no interest for a year credit card. I carried $70K on several cards for 3 years no interest. first it was construction materials for the home I'm building, then that worked so well I paid off two cars, then put the last $20K off my primary home mortgage on one. Now zero debt! saved thousands in interest. Just be sure to transfer the balance to a new no interest card before the deal expires.

We have a $10K line of credit with our mortgage. We won't use it though. Or a Credit Card. My wife works for Wachovia, so we get good deals on car loans through the employee assistance program.

Archived