Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

skinsfanevan

OK, here's my question. The Elder Wand is invincible in a duel, right? It can only change hands if the wand's master is beaten. Yet Dumbledore obtained the Elder Wand by defeating Grindelwald (who had the wand) in a duel. How did he beat the unbeatable wand? Or did he? There was some reference in the Rita Skeeter book that the duel was not quite as it was made out to be. Perhaps Dumbledore acquired the want from Grindelwald in some other manner that did not require defeating it, but rather stole it from Grindelwald in some fashion? Inquiring minds want to know.

OK, here's my question. The Elder Wand is invincible in a duel, right? It can only change hands if the wand's master is beaten. Yet Dumbledore obtained the Elder Wand by defeating Grindelwald (who had the wand) in a duel. How did he beat the unbeatable wand? Or did he? There was some reference in the Rita Skeeter book that the duel was not quite as it was made out to be. Perhaps Dumbledore acquired the want from Grindelwald in some other manner that did not require defeating it, but rather stole it from Grindelwald in some fashion? Inquiring minds want to know.

you've got it the wrong way, grindelwald stole it to start with, so the wand was never really his.

don't forget, that any wizard can use any wand, but the wand's full power only went to the person the wand chose. the wand never chose grindelwald. but once dumbledore beat him, the wand chose dumbledore as it's master.

or at least that was my impression of it.

you've got it the wrong way, grindelwald stole it to start with, so the wand was never really his.

don't forget, that any wizard can use any wand, but the wand's full power only went to the person the wand chose. the wand never chose grindelwald. but once dumbledore beat him, the wand chose dumbledore as it's master.

or at least that was my impression of it.

Yes, but why would it matter then if the line of succession was broken? Harry mentions that if he dies naturally then the wand will not be able to pass on to anyone else. If it can simply "choose" its master, that shouldn't matter.

I really, really want to know how the Sword got from Griphook to the Sorting Hat. That seems like a HUGE plot hole to me, unless I am missing something.

Yes, but why would it matter then if the line of succession was broken? Harry mentions that if he dies naturally then the wand will not be able to pass on to anyone else. If it can simply "choose" its master, that shouldn't matter.

I really, really want to know how the Sword got from Griphook to the Sorting Hat. That seems like a HUGE plot hole to me, unless I am missing something.

the sword got to him just like it got to harry: "help will always come to those who ask for it."

maybe the wand thing is too difficult for me to try to type out. i think i understand it, but you should ask jo rowling for her impression.

In my opinion, the ending was way too cliche, anyone saw it from a mile away. My girlfriend and her family are all potter fans, I cannot say the same for myself, though.

I am a huge fan of fantasy books, just not this style.

the sword got to him just like it got to harry: "help will always come to those who ask for it."

maybe the wand thing is too difficult for me to try to type out. i think i understand it, but you should ask jo rowling for her impression.

Yeah, the wand thing was hard to wrap your head around. It seemed confusing and self-contradictory at times.

I still don't know about the sword though. Despite Harry's urgent need, it still took Snape actually moving it to the forest to facilitate his acquisition. But suddenly it's right there in the Sorting hat? You'd have to think the thing would be back in Gringott's under lock and key and any number of magical enchantments.

Yeah, the wand thing was hard to wrap your head around. It seemed confusing and self-contradictory at times.

I still don't know about the sword though. Despite Harry's urgent need, it still took Snape actually moving it to the forest to facilitate his acquisition. But suddenly it's right there in the Sorting hat? You'd have to think the thing would be back in Gringott's under lock and key and any number of magical enchantments.

doesn't matter, while the sorting hat was enchanted with the qualities of all of the houses, the hat itself was godric gryfendors along with the sword. the idea being that godric, or any true gryfendor, could get his sword out of his own hat when he needed help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived