Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can a former President hold another public office?

Leonard Washington

As far as I know, I don't think any President (of USA) has held any other public office after his term is over.

What do they do for money afterwards? I never heard of a former president needing money, homeless or go bankrupt (financially). I can imagine he can go on the humanitarian circuit, be a consultant, public speaking, or live off under the table deals you made while president. Does the still get paid officially by the US govt?

I also know that being President is the highest possible office, but someone could have more impact as a mayor or governor. Has one of them truly dedicated their life to public service by being an elected official? Is it fear of not being elected/ruining legacy?

Just wondering....:whoknows:

As far as I know, I don't think any President (of USA) has held any other public office after his term is over.

What do they do for money afterwards? I never heard of a former president needing money, homeless or go bankrupt (financially). I can imagine he can go on the humanitarian circuit, be a consultant, public speaking, or live off under the table deals you made while president. Does the still get paid officially by the US govt?

I also know that being President is the highest possible office, but someone could have more impact as a mayor or governor. Has one of them truly dedicated their life to public service by being an elected official? Is it fear of not being elected/ruining legacy?

Just wondering....:whoknows:

I know they get an income from the government. They also keep security detail thoughout their lives. I dont think there are any restrictions other than not being president again...not sure...great question.:logo:

from WIKI.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_United_States#Salary

Prior to passage by Congress of the Former Presidents Act (FPA) in 1958, retired presidents did not receive a pension. All living presidents in 1959 began to receive a pension of $25,000 per year, an office, and a staff. The pension has increased numerous times with Congressional approval. Retired presidents now receive a pension based on the salary of the current administration's cabinet secretaries (Executive Level I), which is $183,500 as of 2007.[17] Some former presidents have also collected congressional pensions.[18] The FPA, as amended, also provides former presidents with travel funds and mailing privileges.

After the presidency

Many presidents have had significant careers after leaving office. Some prominent examples include William Howard Taft's tenure as Chief Justice of the United States and Herbert Hoover's work on government reorganization after World War II. More recently, Jimmy Carter has become a global human rights campaigner and a best-selling writer. Other former presidents have served in elected office after leaving the White House; Andrew Johnson was elected to the Senate after his term was over, and John Quincy Adams served in the House of Representatives. Grover Cleveland, whose bid for reelection failed in 1888, was elected president again four years later in 1892. John Tyler served in the provisional Confederate States Congress during the Civil War, and was elected to the official Confederate Congress but died before it convened.

:2cents: :logo:

Taft is an especially interesting example, because he hated being President, and always wanted to serve on the Supreme Court anyway. He actually found it a relief when he lost his re-election bid (because of Teddy Roosevelt splittling the vote as third party candidate).

He was later made Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, and when asked what his greatest honor was, said that he did not remember being President.

The also make money from Speaking. Bush Sr, Clinton, Carter, and Regan made a lot of money doing speaking events after their terms.

FYI - The question of could a former President run for VP is not a yes or no. There are different legal thoughts on the matter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/19/AR2006101901572.html

I actually find the argument that Bill Clinton could be VP persuasive (if a bit scary), though clearly it would be something the Supreme Court would eventually have to rule on.

Archived