Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YAONF (Yet Another Team Needs Thread)

Zen-like Todd

Ok, I've got it all figured out. Davis goes bye-bye. Stai and his 1.2 million go bye-bye. Shade goes bye-bye. I like Wilky, but apparently he's no longer wanted around these parts. Later G. Etc, etc. We will in fact have some cap space to play with.

I wish to now present you with exactly what will happen in the offseason (or, those things that I care about).

1) We acquire Mo Collins

2) We resign Tre Johnson

3) We acquire Peerless Price

4) With our first rounder, we draft a DE/DT

5) With our second rounder, we either draft a Safety, or, if Taylor Jacobs is still available, we snag him.

The rest of the draft is just gravy really. A linebacker mebbe (I'm assuming Kevin Mitchell will jet for finer pastures and a starting role), an OG, another d-lineman late in the draft, and whichever position we don't address in the 2nd round.

And that's that.

Next year's WR corps (if we dont go safety in round 2)

Gardner, Price, Jacobs, Russell, Thompson, McCants.

Lookie, speedy targets and big possession receivers! And more than one of each type!

I like Doering, but with what we've got going, I bet he won't be around next year, unless someone offers Derrius big duckets to go elsewhere. Derrius has shown a lot, and D-Mac is one of those "raw physical talents" that really need to be kept on a team and developed for a few years, especially considering how long it takes most NFL receivers to really break out in the pros. I mean, look at the two breakout receivers this year. Laverneus Coles, and Peerless Price.

And I don't see us hanging on to 7 receivers. :D

Wow, check out my psychic powers. I just read this in the Post:

Redskins officials are making plans to add two top wide receivers in the offseason. But Spurrier said he could envision retaining wideouts Rod Gardner, Derrius Thompson and Darnerien McCants. Thompson, who ranks second on the team (behind Gardner) with 49 catches this season, is eligible for unrestricted free agency this offseason.

"Obviously he's got some excellent hands," Spurrier said. "When the ball hits, he usually hangs on in traffic. It seems like everybody has to catch it in traffic in this league. You just don't get as open as receivers I used to watch."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31334-2002Dec23.html

BTW, as most of you know by now, David Boston will be a free agent, and Laverneus Coles will be a RFA. I didn't mention either of them because Boston, while a beast, is having some issues (I hate players w/ issues), and isn't really the speedy route runner we're looking for. Of course, you certainly can't rule him out, but I think we go after Peerless first.

Laverneus would be great, I mean really great, but I have a feeling that the Jets would match whatever we offered, and to have any chance of snagging him, we'd have to offer a huge contract, probably more than is sensible to offer a WR on a team that has other needs as well.

Originally posted by TheChosenOne

Ok, I've got it all figured out. Davis goes bye-bye. Stai and his 1.2 million go bye-bye. Shade goes bye-bye. I like Wilky, but apparently he's no longer wanted around these parts. Later G. Etc, etc. We will in fact have some cap space to play with.

I wish to now present you with exactly what will happen in the offseason (or, those things that I care about).

1) We acquire Mo Collins

2) We resign Tre Johnson

3) We acquire Peerless Price

4) With our first rounder, we draft a DE/DT

5) With our second rounder, we either draft a Safety, or, if Taylor Jacobs is still available, we snag him.

The rest of the draft is just gravy really. A linebacker mebbe (I'm assuming Kevin Mitchell will jet for finer pastures and a starting role), an OG, another d-lineman late in the draft, and whichever position we don't address in the 2nd round.

And that's that.

Next year's WR corps (if we dont go safety in round 2)

Gardner, Price, Jacobs, Russell, Thompson, McCants.

Lookie, speedy targets and big possession receivers! And more than one of each type!

In free agency:

One OG, one WR: Pierless Price, resign Tre Johnson. Maybe either a DE/DT or S-if we have money left.

in the draft:

1. DE or Dt

2. OG

3. WR-unless we sign a second reciever in free agency

4. S

5. K

6. P

Think we only have 6 picks next year.

We aren't going to fill all our needs. Shore up the lines and get Spurrier his offensive players. I think the Skins aquire 2 speed WR-one or two in free agency and then maybe one in the draft.

The Skins will not keep both Mccants and Thompson.

In that Quote, Spurrier imagines he can bring back GARDNER and the other two; but it also means Spurrier is seriously considering not bringing back any of them, including Gardner. I know the call is for stability but I trust the coach on this one. If Spurrier feels he needs to replace the WR core- then the Skins should do that.

We have no primary needs that can be addressed by FA signings or the draft. Look at our season and our prime need is to fix our attrocious turnover problem, learn to tackle (the guys we have can do that although a safety will help) and hope that Ramsey develops into what he appears to be.

After that, a good interior lineman, from what I hear and read that can be solved best via FA.

We really need to re-sign Gardener and hope he has a healthy year. Since Big Daddy's gone, I'd like to grab someone to pair with him but there may not be any known guys available to us.

We need a de to create pressure with our normal rush to allow a ball-hawk like LA to sit in that middle area and get some ints that can shorten the field (this could also help kill the draw and screens).

If a receiver like Price is available, we need to make a serious run but I believe we can have a good season without radical changes here and Rusell has as much potential as anyone available (of course, someone in the draft could fall to us and we'll have to take him) . If Royal can come back from his injury (and lives up to his potential), we get good protection (find that interior guy) and Ramsey evolves into what he can be, our current wr's are good enough that teams will either have to give us the middle seam or the corner routes.

It would be nice if Davis, since it is obvious that he's the best fit for this offense, could come back but he'll be 29 and he got nicked a lot this year so he may be past his prime (or at best, in his prime) while our other stars on offense would be at least a couple of years from it. I think we have better options here.

Archived