Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sig Bet For Our Defense

elkabong82

we wont be top 10. even califans bet is a stretch. getting 35 sacks and a +7 turnover ratio will be very tough. top 15 is doubtful but more plausible than the other 2 areas, with the improved size of our dline we could potentially get there, but i just dont see it happening. golston at 320 has made me feel a lot better, but i still dont think our unit goes from 31 to 15 or lower in one season, especially with the age and injury concerns of a lot of our starters.

Well noone thought that our D would go from 9 to 31 either. So it is reasonable to think it will and can happen.

:cheers:

I am not a gambler; so won't make any bets.

Last season the defense was embarassed by how poorly they performed. After having some time to analyze and critique Greg Williams has made a couple of statements that, I think, show that he understands what went wrong and what changes to make. These are:

1. He will simplify the schemes and will rely on the players talent and instincts to dominate. Whenever a coach talks about simplifying it usually means that he realized that the players were so concerned about being in correct position that they were being hesitant and were not attacking the ball. I do think that this was what happened last season after injuries had Greg trying to come up with some schemes that would cover the situation.

2. He will use ST as a ball-hawking free safety. This shows that he recognizes the need to emphasize creating turnovers. Turnovers are "game changing" events that may determine the outcome of close games. The lack of turnovers was a significant failure of last seasons defense.

3. The additions at LB and DB showed that he understood that injuries happen and that decent depth was needed. In 2004 and 2005 Greg employeed his DBs and LBs in creative blitzing schemes. He will return to that approach now that he has added very capable players in the defensive secondary.

In summary, I think that Greg clearly understands that he needs to get back to being a defense that is very agressive in going after the ball instead of being so concerned with players staying in position. Players will be focused on making a play instead of NOT making a mistake; thus they will play with more of an attitude of we will dominate you and everyone will be giving 100% effort on every play.

So yes I do believe the defense will be back to the form they showed in 04 & 05.

I agree, great post.

• 8 months later...

Archived