Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MT: Skins to file tampering charge???

Buddha

That's MT as in "Moonie Times." Can someone tell me what is missing from this article?

Club may file charge over Deion

By Rick Snider and Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Washington Redskins are considering whether to file tampering charges against the Oakland Raiders for contacting former Redskins cornerback Deion Sanders in violation of NFL rules.

The Redskins own the rights to Sanders, who said yesterday he has discussed the possibility of coming out of retirement to join the Raiders for the playoffs. The Raiders admitted yesterday that they had contacted Sanders.

The Redskins placed Sanders on the "reserve retired" list last year after he refused to report to new coach Marty Schottenheimer and retain his rights indefinitely. The Raiders were required by NFL rules to get the Redskins' permission before contacting Sanders. Redskins sources said the club was not aware that the Raiders were pursuing the Pro Bowl cornerback.

The Redskins last night still were analyzing statements made by Sanders on CBS' "The NFL Today" show, where he has been a studio host for two seasons, in an effort to determine whether they should request sanctions against the Raiders by the league.

The NFL could strip the Raiders of a draft choice or fine them for the infraction.

"I may come back to a playoff team," Sanders said on "The NFL Today." "I've made contact, I have spoken to my attorney, we have spoken to the Oakland Raiders."

The chances of Sanders making a comeback with the Raiders appear to be slim because the Redskins will seek compensation before releasing his rights.

The Redskins could ask Sanders to return the $7.5million of his signing bonus that remains; he earlier returned $500,000 of the bonus to the club as a settlement for breach of contract. That $7.5million would far outweigh any deal "Prime Time" could get from the Raiders.

The Redskins can't trade Sanders because the NFL deadline has passed, but they could deal the rights to him for next season in return for draft picks. Few teams would be willing to make such a trade for an aging corner who might play only one season.

Sanders said he announced the negotiations on air because he didn't want the news to be broken elsewhere. A Raiders official and Sanders' agent, Eugene Parker, confirmed to ESPN that discussions had taken place, but neither said a contract was offered.

Sanders said he would be interested in returning for the playoffs but that he wasn't looking for a season-long commitment.

"I could get off of this desk right now and cover," Sanders said. "I would never come back for a full season because I love my job. But it is intriguing for a playoff run, when it all counts. I like that aspect of it. I'm praying about it, I really am."

The Raiders need help in their secondary, someone to play alongside Pro Bowl safety Rod Woodson. Cornerback Charles Woodson is hampered by a cracked fibula in his right leg, and Tory James could return from a similar injury to play in the season finale against Kansas City on Sunday.

Sanders, 35, signed a blockbuster deal with the Redskins in 2000 that included an $8million bonus. The seven-time Pro Bowl player was beaten for only one touchdown as a Redskin, but he seldom made big plays.

After Schottenheimer was hired in January 2001, Sanders refused to report for offseason camps and even briefly played for baseball's Cincinnati Reds.

However, Sanders wasn't on a major league roster when training camp began; if he had been, he would have been exempt from playing for the Redskins until midseason. Sanders decided to retire rather than play under what he and other veterans considered to be Schottenheimer's heavy-handed style.

OHHHHHHHHH.............................. I'd love to get Peon to pay back that 7.5 million and then get a draft choice for his rights, then watch him get smoked for two or three touchdowns in the Raiders first playoff game and get eliminated from the playoffs because of it.

Can someone say POETIC JUSTICE?!?!?!?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by redskin56

OHHHHHHHHH.............................. I'd love to get Peon to pay back that 7.5 million and then get a draft choice for his rights, then watch him get smoked for two or three touchdowns in the Raiders first playoff game and get eliminated from the playoffs because of it.

Can someone say POETIC JUSTICE?!?!?!?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think Deion is in any type of shape to play much at all. Does anyone foresee him coming off the bench much during the playoffs?

In the pregame show, a joke was going around about the Rockettes and Sanders said he just can't high-step like he used to. He was referring to his age and that he wasn't fast anymore.

Why doesn't he just stay put? Why embarass one's self? :rolleyes:

Is there any way to let him go to the Raiduhs in exchange for cap relief for '03? I know his cap hit finishes next Sunday, so whoop-de-doo on that. I'm guessing this bit about talking tampering is to blackmail the Raiduhs into better compensation. Personally, I'd rather get $1m in cap relief for '03 than a 6th rounder.

If we traded Peon then his cap numbers would go with him, but, the trade deadline has passed so the only way is to trade his rights for next year, not going to happen with Peon saying that he only want's to comeback and play in the playoffs. I don't know if there is any other way to get cap relief other than that.

Hate slimetime, my other half's team is the Raiduhs and ND jr is wearing silver and black more than B&G since she is taking him with her on shopping trips with other BOFFs Babes of football fans

However yesterday was the first time in a long time that Sunday meant mutual happiness/success that equated into great "sheet music.":rolleyes:

Re: Tampering

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules as to tampering. The NFL just decides what they think is appropriate. The NFL hasn't been real kind to the Skins, lately. The good news is, the NFL doesn't like Al Davis, much, either.

Re: trading deadline

I suspect that, if the Skins want this deal, all they have to do is cut Deion. Then it's not a trade. And, it would mean Oakland can negotiate whatever salary they want. (He might have to go through waivers, I don't know). Bad news: I can see the NFL objecting to a "non-trade" in which Da Raidahs send us a draft pick.

Originally posted by Larry

Bad news: I can see the NFL objecting to a "non-trade" in which Da Raidahs send us a draft pick.

That one is easy enough to get around. Agree on a trade of picks on draft day. The Raiduhs give us their 2nd and 3rd for our 3rd (hey ... maybe they REALLY wanted to move up in the third round.) :)

Or perhaps they draft someone we want and trade him to us for little or nothing.

Originally posted by Brave

That one is easy enough to get around. Agree on a trade of picks on draft day. The Raiduhs give us their 2nd and 3rd for our 3rd (hey ... maybe they REALLY wanted to move up in the third round.) :)

Or perhaps they draft someone we want and trade him to us for little or nothing.

Seems like a good idea but will it work, I doubt we will probably lose his rights and he goes on to win the Super Bowl and we get nothing. Thats the way it works for the Skins

Archived