Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Boswell: An Experience Not to be Missed (Tigers tournament)

jbooma

So is anyone going to the At&t National (aka Tigers Tournament)? With ticket prices dirt cheap this might be a great experience.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/04/AR2007070401530.html

By Thomas Boswell

Thursday, July 5, 2007; Page E01

Play hooky. Call in sick. Blow up your plans. But whatever you do, come to Tiger Woods's golf tournament at Congressional Country Club starting today. This event, with the best golfer who ever lived, with five of the top six players in the world on one of the most magnificent courses in America, may be this town's best sports value of my lifetime.

The best seat in the house -- which, in the case of golf, is every seat -- is $20 today and tomorrow, $25 on the weekend. And parking is free. You don't get a few hours of entertainment. You get a whole day of sport and people-watching as you stroll on gorgeous wooded parklands or sit in shaded grandstands. Parking lots are open for 14 hours. It's an absolute steal.

Actually, Tiger's tickets are even cheaper than that. Woods said he wanted to make sure his event was affordable and he kept his word. A full week's pass is $65. That's $16.25 a day with two practice rounds thrown in free. Compare that with any other major pro event. The crummy Nats charge that same $65 for a top box seat at decrepit RFK. The Redskins make season ticket holders buy a full-price preseason package, then charge as much to park, $25, as Tiger does to watch Sunday's final round.

Golf has the image of being exclusive, clubby and expensive. That's certainly not the case this week. Tiger wants everyone to come to his party, watch him play, honor the U.S. military and thus contribute to his charitable foundation. You can't get behind any of that? Even the weather may cooperate: warm but not sweltering with plenty of sun.

Because both Tiger and Phil Mickelson declared last week that they'd definitely play, people have asked me, "Is Tiger's event sold out?" Golf tournaments don't sell out. Okay, the Masters. But not weekly PGA Tour events, even the best. Congressional is bigger than Delaware. You could lose 50,000 people on the place. Just show up and buy a ticket. There's so much room that Tiger has given away 30,000 tickets to military personnel -- 6,000 per day starting yesterday. Even if you've never touched a golf club, you'll fit in at this event. The woman next to you can probably assemble a machine gun blindfolded..... (click link for more)

Boswell nailed it. I was there yesterday marshalling the pro am and it was like nothing I have ever seen before. The buzz was tremendous, the course is amazing and the golf was spectacular. This is truly the best sporting event this city has seen in a long long time. Tiger tees off at 1:15. I reccommend watching the action on the sixth hole. Get there about an hour before Tiger is due to come through and sit along the rope in the middle of the fairway, You'll get to see him hit driver most likely and then hit an approach with a mid iron to a green guarded by water on the right and bunkers on the left. It's a 518 yard par 4.

I'd much rather go to work then watch people play golf. Watching people play foosball sober is more fun.

It doesn't have to be about the golf. In fact golf might not even be the main attraction. You can spend a nice day outside getting hammered and people watching. Besides, people who bash golf just don't have the athletic ability to play it well so they take jabs at it.

No cameras Thursday-Sunday. Any pictures would have to be from the practice rounds or the pro am.

I was there and took some amazing photos for a feature story I'm working on about the female soldier who played golf with Tiger yesterday. I've been lucky enough to cover football for a little while now, so it was fun to try a new sport. I'll see about uploading a photo or two when I get a chance, but I highly recommend getting out there and seeing the course in person if you get a chance.

I manage a local golf course and let me just say that I'm leaving work 4 hours early on Sunday to catch the final day.

Anyone ever been to a tourney at Congressional? I need to get the low down on a good spot. I'm thinking somewhere below inside the circle - it has views of #10, #15 tee, #16 green, and #18 green. Just wondering if I can even get there or if that area is cordoned off.

I manage a local golf course and let me just say that I'm leaving work 4 hours early on Sunday to catch the final day.

Anyone ever been to a tourney at Congressional? I need to get the low down on a good spot. I'm thinking somewhere below inside the circle - it has views of #10, #15 tee, #16 green, and #18 green. Just wondering if I can even get there or if that area is cordoned off.

E dog, that is a great spot. When you get there check the pin Placement on 6. It is a 518 yard par 4 and players are going to be going for it with the pin tucked right behind that pond. From the left side of the hole you can turn around and watch the players hit their tee shots to the uphill 175 yard par 3 7th. It is then a short walk to 10 green and nine tee.

Keep in mind, the course has been redesigned. The par 3 10th hole, which used to be 18, now has it's tees up by the club house and the green is now where the tees are in the photo.

I preferred the old setup. At the Booz Allen I parked it on the hill underneath the 17th green, and saw the entire 18th. That atmosphere was like a stadium for golf.

tiger.jpg

As promised, here is a photo I took of Tiger Woods yesterday during the Pro-Am. For those who know the course, this is a shot of him teeing off on the seventh hole at Congressional. Needless to say, this is one of my favorite photos I've taken in a while.

Archived