Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Hiring of Phillips means a new approach in Dallas

bubba9497

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/2007-06-27-offseason-report_N.htm

click link for full article

Hiring of Phillips means a new approach in Dallas

IRVING, Texas (SportsWeekly) — Not much has changed in the huge office near the front of the coaches wing at the Dallas Cowboys' headquarters.

There is still a Texas-sized, L-shaped desk dominating the room. A bookshelf that covers an entire wall. Floor-to-ceiling windows for a serene view of the well-manicured landscape.

This is where Tom Landry worked. Then Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and, eventually, Bill Parcells.

Now it is Wade Phillips' office.

The new coach of the Cowboys is putting his personal touch on the place — aesthetically, with pictures and mementos, and congenially, with his laid-back style.

"I present it as a family situation," Phillips said, leaning back at his desk. "I think loyalty and trust are real important. We're all part of the Cowboys family. Thats what I want to get over to the players."

Although his predecessor, Parcells, might agree with such values and the bottom-line mission of winning games, the soft-spoken Phillips is a polar opposite to the often-brusque Parcells when it comes to relaying those messages.

This is the obvious change that has blown into Valley Ranch.

It is tough to imagine Phillips snapping at his coaches, berating his quarterback on the sideline or threatening to fight a player.

"I did not try to go out and hire Bill Jr.," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says. "Not that you could have if you wanted to."

"There are so many positives about Bill. I respect a lot about the way Bill developed players. But I know we'll benefit from the freshness with Wade's approach."

Parcells was 34-32 in four seasons with the Cowboys, including a 0-2 playoff mark. The 2006 season ended with a disastrous meltdown in a 21-20 playoff loss at Seattle— best remembered for quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee's mishandled snap on a potential game-winning field goal attempt in the final seconds but also including several other fourth-quarter gaffes.

Phillips, previously a head man in Denver and Buffalo and most recently the San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator, is positioned to finish what Parcells started in many ways.

The last six times Phillips joined a new NFL team as head coach or coordinator, that team advanced to the playoffs in the first year. Until now, he had never joined a team that was coming off a winning record in one of those roles.

"That was part of my selling point," Phillips said with a hearty laugh. "I might be luckier than hell, but this time it's a little different."

A few minutes before Phillips was talking to a visitor, new offensive coordinator Jason Garrett buzzed out of the office. Garrett and new defensive coordinator Brian Stewart, whom Phillips brought with him from San Diego, are in their positions for the first time.

Yet Garrett was actually hired for his job before Phillips came aboard. He was handpicked by Jones, who used to employ Garrett's father as a scout and has watched the son, who was also the teams former backup quarterback,evolve into a rising star in the coaching ranks. Garrett was previously the Miami Dolphins quarterbacks coach.

New HC, OC, DC. New OL. Old WRs. No cover SS and FS. RB by committee. New playbook. Average to below average QB.

Hmmmm...the pukes have nothing to worry about... :laugh:

Oh, did I mention Jerrah is back in charge?

IRVING, Texas (SportsWeekly) — Not much has changed in the huge office near the front of the coaches wing at the Dallas Cowboys' headquarters.

There is still a Texas-sized, L-shaped desk dominating the room. A bookshelf that covers an entire wall. A puppet cabinet with the likes of Dave Campo, Chan Gailey, Barry Switzer and even two open spots with the nameplates Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett. Floor-to-ceiling windows for a serene view of the well-manicured landscape.

Fixed it!:D

Parcells was 34-32 in four seasons with the Cowboys, including a 0-2 playoff mark. The 2006 season ended with a disastrous meltdown in a 21-20 playoff loss at Seattle— best remembered for quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee's mishandled snap on a potential game-winning field goal attempt in the final seconds but also including several other fourth-quarter gaffes.

Yep, all Bill's fault. If he hadn't been such a mean, mean man Tony holds on and everybody sits around the campfire singing Kumbaya. Training camp is going to open with the manditory group hug followed by sharing of feelings. It's all just so sweet.

Yep, all Bill's fault. If he hadn't been such a mean, mean man Tony holds on and everybody sits around the campfire singing Kumbaya. Training camp is going to open with the manditory group hug followed by sharing of feelings. It's all just so sweet.

Weren't all the players singing the praises of Spurrier's TC after being under Schottenheimer? Interesting...

The last six times Phillips joined a new NFL team as head coach or coordinator, that team advanced to the playoffs in the first year. Until now, he had never joined a team that was coming off a winning record in one of those roles.

The conclusion to be drawn here is obvious, and I've got just one word to say about it.

Supe r Bowl!

:applause:

Archived