Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT-- Xmas Snowstorm for DC/MD/VA?

Buddha

Note: All you northern smarta$$es that spend most of the winter living day to day in 3 feet of snow can turn away now. This OT post is not for you. And stop laughing...especially you Canadians.

For all of you DC metro area and Virginia fans, I just wanted to give you a heads up on a potential HUGE snow event for late Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It's too early for the TV weathermen to be dropping these warnings, but the models are indeed showing one of those coastal storms heading for us. You may want to keep an eye on this as you finalize your travel plans, as well as your plans to hit the grocery stores for bread, milk and TP.

If I'm right about this, you can thank me later. If I'm wrong, Blade can slap me with the Clown icon again. At any rate, I'd hate for any of us to get caught out on the highway, stuck in an airline terminal, or worse-- snowed in at your in-laws' house-- if it could be avoided with good planning. I think we have a meteorologist on the board that can confirm my advisory, don't we???

I saw something on this 3 or 4 days ago and it had a HUGE swatch of the country showing a good possibility of getting snow. Things must be progressing.

Looked like it was going to be rain below southern Virginia and snow above and it extended West past the Mississippi and North almost to the border.

I hope we don't have any more ice. That stuff sucks! :)

Ok....this is the first I have heard of this so I guess I should alter my plans.

Old plans: Drive all over creation picking up children (divorced) and taking them to grandma/grandpa's house, aunt and uncle's house's, girlfriend's parents and girlfriend's house.

New plans: BIG bottle of Margaritaville tequila

margarita mix

12 pack of Foster's

6 pack Corona and a lime

mistletoe belt's for 2

pick up girlfriend early in Jeep (before drinking)

enjoy the SNOW!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!

:pint:

G-d damn it!! I'm the official ExtremeSkins weather man!!!

There will be no weather predictions without my approval!! :silly:

Anyway, Buddha might be correct. Some of the progs (specifically the Canadian GEM prog) are suggesting a possible east coast snow storm late Christmas Eve through Christmas Day.

However, it is waaaaaaayyyyyy to early to predict something like that this early. I'm sure as most of you guys know who live in the DC area we are right on the rain/snow line and the track of the low up the coast plays a huge part in the amount and type of precip we get. Like I said , it is too early to call right now but stay tuned to the TV throughout the week to see what happens. Most of the progs will come to an agreement about 2 days from the event.

Here is a link to the story from intellicast...

Story on possible Christmas storm

fig13s.jpg

Originally posted by codeorama

Budda....

Are you a weatherman? why should we believe you.:D

Actually, the weather is my second hobby after the Skins. And one of my boys from Dead Fred is a real weatherman now and gives me the low down on all the snow forecasts.

What LA56 said.....living around here is ridiculous when it comes to forcasting the weather. A little this way....a little that way, makes the difference between a 6 pack and a 30 pack. l still like my new plan though! :laugh:

Well, in the years I lived there I didn't see a white Christmas. Come to think of it, have seen it actually storm on Christmas here about twice over the years. Just hope that you guys back east get the kind of snow, (if you get the storm that is...see 56 about that...:silly: ), that we get here and not all that frozen stuff. Here's to a white ,safe christmas out there.. ( sigh..sorry... forgot to turn away :silly: ) And I'm not laughing Buddha... :) really.... :D ... I'm not.. :laugh: I mean it... :rotflmao:

:cheers:

" They say in Miami it never snows. Well it's snowing in the palm trees, snowing in the sand. Snows all day for 60 dollars a gram"

:silly: (Vice....from the Miami vice soundtrack)

Speaking of weathermen, even though I am a teacher right now, I started out going to school for meteorology and if it wasn't for chemistry I would be one today. As far as this potential storm, right now it looks like it will be mostly if not all rain for DC, most of MD, Philly, New York and Boston. The storm track as of right now looks to be more inland which would bring rain to the coast which includes the areas I mentioned. The snow would be 100 miles or so further west of all of us. Like was mentioned, it is way early but right now I would say rain for the mentioned areas. Either way, it is going to get cold and windy after this storm passes. And if they do change the track of this storm more off of the coast, than it would be quite white along the east coast for Christmas. Personally, I hope the storm takes a more easterly track and we see snow for Xmas.

I'm the official ExtremeSkins weather man!!!

Can I challange you on that?? I'm in school now to be a meteorologist

--

Tuesday night you look outside, "Hey wow, it's snowing! How Holidayish!"

A couple hours later, you look out. It's still snowing, but the flakes...man, they're huge! And they're coming down so fast!

Cool you think.

Uh uh.

In the morning you look out, expecting to see a few inches on the ground. "What the...

It's raining!?"

But, but...

c'est la vie in Washington.

Don't worry though. It briefly changes back to snow, before ending, Wednsday night just as you're saying goodbye to family and friends and puts a smile back on everyone's face.

Originally posted by rskin24

Can I challange you on that?? I'm in school now to be a meteorologist

--

Tuesday night you look outside, "Hey wow, it's snowing! How Holidayish!"

A couple hours later, you look out. It's still snowing, but the flakes...man, they're huge! And they're coming down so fast!

Cool you think.

Uh uh.

In the morning you look out, expecting to see a few inches on the ground. "What the...

It's raining!?"

But, but...

c'est la vie in Washington.

Don't worry though. It briefly changes back to snow, before ending, Wednsday night just as you're saying goodbye to family and friends and puts a smile back on everyone's face.

Really? Good deal! Where are you going to school?

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Speaking of weathermen, even though I am a teacher right now, I started out going to school for meteorology and if it wasn't for chemistry I would be one today. As far as this potential storm, right now it looks like it will be mostly if not all rain for DC, most of MD, Philly, New York and Boston. The storm track as of right now looks to be more inland which would bring rain to the coast which includes the areas I mentioned. The snow would be 100 miles or so further west of all of us. Like was mentioned, it is way early but right now I would say rain for the mentioned areas. Either way, it is going to get cold and windy after this storm passes. And if they do change the track of this storm more off of the coast, than it would be quite white along the east coast for Christmas. Personally, I hope the storm takes a more easterly track and we see snow for Xmas.

Yep, it looks like all the progs are trending towards a rain event. However, the NAO is going negative again so the end of Dec early Jan we might see some Arctic air coming down and with the southern branch of the jet so active we could see a snow storm in that time frame. Just a thought...

Really? Good deal! Where are you going to school?

Maryland

The thing is though, it's not a major. For a bachlors, you have to do Physical Science with a specialization in Meteorology. Graduate school does have it though, so you can get your Masters or Phd which is good.

That reminds me, can I borrow a couple thousand or so dollars from everyone on this board? That should just about cover everything :doh:

Originally posted by The Angry Buddha

Note: All you northern smarta$$es that spend most of the winter living day to day in 3 feet of snow can turn away now. This OT post is not for you. And stop laughing...especially you Canadians.

For all of you DC metro area and Virginia fans, I just wanted to give you a heads up on a potential HUGE snow event for late Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It's too early for the TV weathermen to be dropping these warnings, but the models are indeed showing one of those coastal storms heading for us. You may want to keep an eye on this as you finalize your travel plans, as well as your plans to hit the grocery stores for bread, milk and TP.

If I'm right about this, you can thank me later. If I'm wrong, Blade can slap me with the Clown icon again. At any rate, I'd hate for any of us to get caught out on the highway, stuck in an airline terminal, or worse-- snowed in at your in-laws' house-- if it could be avoided with good planning. I think we have a meteorologist on the board that can confirm my advisory, don't we???

==============================================

LOL,man buddha i had a good one for ya from up here in cold canada & you got me in the 1st paragraph.LOL.but i'll tell ya something.i went sledding(snowmobiling) this morning and i was only in about 4' of fresh powder.WHAT A BUMMER!!! no base,we were stuck most of the day.should have been 8-12' this time of year.oh ya the temp. was about 5 deg. f.LOL

Originally posted by rskin24

Maryland

The thing is though, it's not a major. For a bachlors, you have to do Physical Science with a specialization in Meteorology. Graduate school does have it though, so you can get your Masters or Phd which is good.

That reminds me, can I borrow a couple thousand or so dollars from everyone on this board? That should just about cover everything :doh:

I dunno why Maryland doesn't have a bachlors meteorology program? Most major schools do. I know Penn State and Oklahoma have the 2 best programs in the nation.

I got my training in weather from the US Air Force which is a lot different from college. In the military they focus highly on the technical side and little on theory. In college it is totally opposite.

Same thing goes here for majors in meteorology on Long Island. There are no schools on Long Island where you can major in meteorology. It would be Atmospheric Science here. There is a school in NY but it is by the Great Lakes and I couldn't bring myself to leave my family and friends. Oh well, I love teaching more than I would have loved meteorology. I like keeping weather as a hobby. I even draw up weather maps. Hmmmm, this doesn't say much about my social life, does it?

Hey, Riggins44, I think the last time we actually got snow Christmas/Christmas Eve was in 1963. There have been a couple of instances where some was left on the ground on Christmas. My mom told me that it snowed that year on Christmas and my father dropped on my head in the snow. Wasn't enough to kill me, but I think that is when I became a 'Skins fan. You'd have to be knocked in the head in order to ride this rollercoaster. :D

Archived