Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#28 Likely to Be Retired

fuji869

Looks like the Redskins are likely to retire Darrell Green's #28 but not during the pregame ceremony on December 29th before the Dallas Game.

'28' Likely to Be Retired

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, December 19, 2002; Page D06

The Washington Redskins are planning to retire cornerback Darrell Green's number, probably in a ceremony before or at halftime of a game next season, sources close to the situation said yesterday.

Green's No. 28 would join Sammy Baugh's No. 33 as the only numbers officially retired by the Redskins.

Sources said the Redskins don't plan to make retiring Green's number part of the pregame ceremony honoring him before their season-ending game against the Dallas Cowboys on Dec. 29 at FedEx Field, Green's final game. Redskins officials believe that is not the appropriate time, according to sources.

One source said the decision to retire the number was not final but "very, very, very likely."

Green, 42, is in his 20th season with the Redskins and is among the most popular players in franchise history. He plans to retire after this season.

He said yesterday at Redskins Park that he had not discussed with team officials the possibility of having his number retired.

"Whatever they do would mean a lot to me," Green said. "I try not to participate in that process. I want to know, but I don't want to influence what they do. I'm not out to honor myself in a prideful way. But I am grateful. I am honored. What would make me excited is that it would be a blessing to the fans and my family. I see it as theirs. I feel like I'm theirs and they're mine. I have a strong bond with this community. I would be happy if they're happy."

In addition to Baugh's officially retired number, the Redskins have a list of unofficially retired numbers. That was tested last offseason when quarterback Shane Matthews briefly decided to wear the unofficially retired No. 9 of Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen. After a brief but intense uproar and the intervention of some Redskins officials, Matthews relented and decided to wear No. 6. Another new Redskins quarterback, Danny Wuerffel, switched to No. 17 after wearing Joe Theismann's No. 7 briefly during offseason practices.

The Redskins announced yesterday that Green will be honored prior to the Dallas game in a ceremony scheduled to begin at 12:35 p.m., a half-hour before kickoff. The team urged fans to arrive early and said banners honoring Green would be permitted in the stadium.

The club also announced that it would add former Redskins linebacker Ken Harvey and former Prince George's County executive Wayne Curry to the "Ring of Fame" at FedEx Field in a ceremony at halftime of this Sunday's game against the Houston Texans. Harvey was selected to four Pro Bowls as a member of the Redskins between 1994 and '98. Curry was selected for his role in getting the team's stadium built in Landover

Archived