Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I want Trent Lott gone.

Kilmer17

Yeah. The problem he's got now is with the baggage he's carrying, he's liable to bend way too far backwards to prove he's not racist. Do we really want a majority leader who's liable to let himself be used like Jesse Jackson's b!tch? His comment on Strom was stupid and probably should have gone unnoticed, but nevertheless he is now weakened beyond repair.

You guys think this is over with Lott resigning from Leadership position or even leaving the senate altogether?

This is the first shot in the batttle over racial and femisist politics. Liott has single handlely reengerized the democratic base. Even single move the Repubs make will be judged through a racial and femanist prizm. Every single republican member of congress will be structinized. EVery policy the repubs try to pass will be given the racial/femanist test. Every judge nomination, etc...

This will not end until after the 2004 elections-well actually if succesful for the demos-then never. Though the double standard of ignoring democrats potential embarassments will be ignored. There's a potential for a backlass.

For a political junkie-can't wait for the nastiest campaign in American history to begin.

Originally posted by Rdskns2000

You guys think this is over with Lott resigning from Leadership position or even leaving the senate altogether?

This is the first shot in the batttle over racial and femisist politics. Liott has single handlely reengerized the democratic base. Even single move the Repubs make will be judged through a racial and femanist prizm. Every single republican member of congress will be structinized. EVery policy the repubs try to pass will be given the racial/femanist test. Every judge nomination, etc...

This will not end until after the 2004 elections-well actually if succesful for the demos-then never. Though the double standard of ignoring democrats potential embarassments will be ignored. There's a potential for a backlass.

For a political junkie-can't wait for the nastiest campaign in American history to begin.

Yeah I think you may be right. Ain't it great!

disagree...while this has short-term power sharing implications for the Republicans......the feminazis and PC dictatorial interest groups have been marginalized: they are no longer trusted by large segments of the American population. Will they try to take advantage of the temporary ebb in public perceptions? Sure. Will they succeed? Not likely. They have been exposed and discreditted. They are ever much a part of the problem as are the Trent Lotts of the world.

Originally posted by fansince62

disagree...while this has short-term power sharing implications for the Republicans......the feminazis and PC dictatorial interest groups have been marginalized: they are no longer trusted by large segments of the American population. Will they try to take advantage of the temporary ebb in public perceptions? Sure. Will they succeed? Not likely. They have been exposed and discreditted. They are ever much a part of the problem as are the Trent Lotts of the world.

Disagree...I think the American people may be forced to see the GOP for what they are in their heart and soul. It ain't real pretty the deception the GOP has put on the American people. Shine the lights baby! The party that caused the great depression is trying to create another one!

Originally posted by JackC

Disagree...I think the American people may be forced to see the GOP for what they are in their heart and soul. It ain't real pretty the deception the GOP has put on the American people. Shine the lights baby! The party that caused the great depression is trying to create another one!

You mean the party that actually is trying to end any semblence of race-baiting within its own ranks, even if it means the politically embarrassing necessity of removing their own Senate majority leader? Ask the Dems if they have the balls to remove even a political corpse like Byrd from power after his "white ******" comment the other week. Shine the lights indeed.

The truth is that not only is the backlash from his own party a bigger story than Lott's gaffe, the thing that amazes me the most about it is that the mainstream media seems to be recognizing that very effort by the Republican party and lauding them for it. Take a look at the recent Time magazine articles on the issue for a prominant example.

Don't gloat on this one, Dems. This will mark a turning point for the Republican party in the public perception battle for racial issues. Enjoy your pyrrhic victory while it lasts.

I welcome an open discussion on racism in the US. I know which side will come out on top.

Blacks already vote 90% for the Dems, the other 10 percent are the Walter WIlliams/ JC Watts GOPers that will vote GOP regardless. The GOP has no chance of losing any more support. But will, in fact, gain it.

Which party had a KKK member?

Which party refuses to take down the COnfederate Flag in Miss, GA, and SC?

Which Party led the fight against desegregation?

On the other hand

Who made MLK day a NAtional Holiday?

Which party was the first to appoint a black man, and a black woman to Cabinet positions?

Which party appointed the only black Supreme COurt Justice?

I say lets open it all the way up.

Fine and dandy.

In the last few weeks Lott made a horrible, indefensible comment and has been blasted by his own party more than anybody. The President has called him out and insisted it doesn't represent the feelings of the country or the GOP.

In that same time, Democratic counselman from New York Charles Barron stated that he would "slap the next white guy he saw" in response to Lott's comments.

In October (too far back??) Former President Clinton called Charles Schumer ( an admitted segregationist) a visionary and his mentor.

Those are 2 glaring examples of the hypocrisy.

But shouldn't any discussion on race include a historical look as well? Because, if we only look at the present (last few weeks) it allows the most offensive people the ability to cleanse their appearance.

Originally posted by redman

You mean the party that actually is trying to end any semblence of race-baiting within its own ranks, even if it means the politically embarrassing necessity of removing their own Senate majority leader? Ask the Dems if they have the balls to remove even a political corpse like Byrd from power after his "white ******" comment the other week. Shine the lights indeed.

The truth is that not only is the backlash from his own party a bigger story than Lott's gaffe, the thing that amazes me the most about it is that the mainstream media seems to be recognizing that very effort by the Republican party and lauding them for it. Take a look at the recent Time magazine articles on the issue for a prominant example.

Don't gloat on this one, Dems. This will mark a turning point for the Republican party in the public perception battle for racial issues. Enjoy your pyrrhic victory while it lasts.

If you think the motives of the GOP are anything other than political than you aren't very honest. Anytime you hear someone who got caught doing something start screaming what about all the others who have done worse, that will be a sign unto you.

The only one I've heard with non political intentions on this issue

is our own Kilmer.

I've been able to split this into two seperate issues.

1- Lott's comments. They are indefensible and racist at their core. I think he should step down as leader, but stop short of calling for his Senate resignation because that's up to the people of his state.

2- The response to his comments from both sides and the media.

I hope that no one concludes from my posts that I am in any way defending Lott, because Im not.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Fine and dandy.

In the last few weeks Lott made a horrible, indefensible comment and has been blasted by his own party more than anybody. The President has called him out and insisted it doesn't represent the feelings of the country or the GOP.

In that same time, Democratic counselman from New York Charles Barron stated that he would "slap the next white guy he saw" in response to Lott's comments.

In October (too far back??) Former President Clinton called Charles Schumer ( an admitted segregationist) a visionary and his mentor.

Those are 2 glaring examples of the hypocrisy.

But shouldn't any discussion on race include a historical look as well? Because, if we only look at the present (last few weeks) it allows the most offensive people the ability to cleanse their appearance.

ok, ok. Stop.

This is going nowhere. I'm not even a demi but I was playing devils advocate. However, it seems that if Lott shot a guy in the face, you'd find a demi to compare him to.

You need to stop that. It's petty. Your hypocrisy goes both ways and this party you're defending so strongly sucks just as bad. Wake up.

What?

I have not defended Lott at all. I've been one of the most vocal people here calling for his dismissal.

The difference is that I'm calling for the dismissal of ANYONE of our elected officials who do the same thing. The Dems aren't willing to do that. They want 2 seperate standards.

Archived