Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disturbing quote from Spurrier?

Larry Brown #43

Spurrier said something that could be very disturbing, depending on how you take it. When talking about the possibility of switching Champ from CB to WR, Spurrier said that "Champ hasn't had a chance to do much on defense this year -- he's only had two interceptions." Now, the obvious response is, "DUH, he only has two picks because teams are smart enough to not throw at him."

Is this just more Spurrier mind games, or should we be very concerned about a comment that -- at least on the surface -- is baffling? I don't know...I'm just asking the question...

Originally posted by Bufford

didn't he say this last week?

It has more to do with him playing on ST or being a WR and having the ball in his hands.

I just heard about the quote this morning, so if he said it last week I don't know where I was. But it seems to demonstrate a lack of understanding of what cornerbacking is all about, unless I have the context wrong. That's what I'm trying to figure out. How can he try to judge Champ's play solely on how many picks he's had?

Originally posted by DougWilliams

extremely unlikely that he judges corner back play solely on interceptions, regardless of the quote you just heard from last week. though i guess it's possible he doesn't know much about football. super thread.

Hey screw you, man. No need to be a prick. I guess based on what we've seen this far this year, Spurrier is a genious, right? It's an asinine comment he made, and I'm just trying to figure out the context in which he made it. When was the last time YOU started a worthwhile thread?

Specifically Spurrier was making a swipe at Lewis for not allowing his corners to be in jump position on balls and at the same time making a statement to Champ that he's welcome as a receiver if he's not a corner which Champ would never agree to. In one simple statement Spurrier got to make fun of Lewis and tease Champ with something Champ wants and Spurrier doesn't by setting the conditions that he give up the one thing he wouldn't give up.

keep your chin up, man. don't be so sensitive.

True, I haven't started many threads, worthwhile or not.

But as far as this particular thread. Don't be disturbed. Even if Spurrier were very stupid, he couldn't have spent the last 45 or 50 years playing and coaching football only to have come up with the belief that the cornerback position should be judged soley on interceptions.

i think spurrier actually said champ hadn't had much affect on games (that was before a particular fumble, I believe). as art said, I also took it as a swipe at lewis, for having champ play zone more than he'd like, instead of shutting down the opponent's best WR. something like that.

Spurrier is simply pointing out that as a CB, Champ doesn't get to make plays with the ball very often. Don't read too much into things.

And BTW, Spurrier is fun to listen to when he's giving it to someone, but I've found that he's not the most articulate guy sometimes when it comes to answering straight football questions. This is such an example.

Thanks guys, these explanations make sense. As most of you realized, I was simply trying to get your opinions on a quote that I found a bit curious on its face. The one thing I've learned about Spurrier ever since he's been here is that he manipulates his words so much that you can get a whole different idea of what he's trying to say if you READ his words rather than HEAR his words.

Warning: sarcasm to follow. Another brilliant idea from Spurrier's creative mind. Take a player who is all-pro caliber at perhaps the most difficult position to play and move him to offense. Not to mention that Champ, in the process of his disastrous attempt to return punts, hasn't even shown the ability to catch a cold. Hey Steve! Here's an idea. How about coaching the whole team rather than trying to snatch a key player from the defense?

Originally posted by redman

Spurrier is simply pointing out that as a CB, Champ doesn't get to make plays with the ball very often. Don't read too much into things.

And BTW, Spurrier is fun to listen to when he's giving it to someone, but I've found that he's not the most articulate guy sometimes when it comes to answering straight football questions. This is such an example.

This is the correct answer.......

He was not criticizing anyone, just pointing out that as a cb, bailey does not have many chances to have the ball in his hands

Archived