Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clevelands LeCharles Bentley out......AGAIN.

Jeremiah_Johnson

I've heard Bentley might not even play again, it's that serious with his injury. Hopefully this 2nd surgery will be the last he needs and he can get healthy and back on the right track

You're right, he probably won't

He tore a tendon or something, and then it got infected (staph), and then he tore it again, and then another injury. I feel bad for the guy; great football player, great person, wanted to go back to Cleveland, his hometown, to fulfill his lifelong dream, and it's been a nightmare eversince. I mean, i think his initial injury took place the first play of minicamp last year, everyone was freaking out as he was screaming "Noooo" and crying. I think it was like Northcutt who said Bently already knew he was done for theyear, and that's why he took it so hard.

']There should be some kind of stipulation made for circumstances like this. If you lose a guy for the season before the season starts' date=' none of his salary or bonus should count towards the cap.[/quote']

I agree that there should be some way of protecting the team while also making sure that the player is taken care of and not left hurt AND broke.

I agree that there should be some way of protecting the team while also making sure that the player is taken care of and not left hurt AND broke.

While I don't know everything about contracts, I believe you get your base pay whether you play or not. Of

course you won't get playing bonuses. I don't know about 'roster' bonuses - I guess if you're on injured reserve, you're not on the roster. But the Browns haven't said anything about IR'ing him yet.

In terms of the salary cap though, the team can put an injured player on injured reserve and will free up every cent of cap space that player takes up for that year.

Of course NFL contracts not being guaranteed, the Browns could just cut him. But then they would have to absorb the full cap hit and given that they signed him last year, I think thats unlikely. In terms of the monetary aspect (nothing to do with the cap), I think that teams frequently get high contracts like this insured, so one injury won't sink them.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for Bentley though he got some nice coin last offseason. Not blowing millions of dollars is his 'problem'.

You're right, he probably won't

He tore a tendon or something, and then it got infected (staph), and then he tore it again, and then another injury. I feel bad for the guy; great football player, great person, wanted to go back to Cleveland, his hometown, to fulfill his lifelong dream, and it's been a nightmare eversince. I mean, i think his initial injury took place the first play of minicamp last year, everyone was freaking out as he was screaming "Noooo" and crying. I think it was like Northcutt who said Bently already knew he was done for theyear, and that's why he took it so hard.

He didn't tear it again. It just didn't heal properly because of the staph infection. If he tried to play this year there was a high chance he'd tear it again. That's why he's having the 2nd surgery.

Archived